"You're a Weeb"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

"You're a Weeb"

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm

The North American Dragon Ball fanbase is split between the English and Japanese dubs. Because of how radically different the two dubs can be (particularly with earlier media), the two sides often clash over which is superior. When it comes to fans of the English dub, they often dismiss those who prefer the Japanese dub by calling them "weebs". This is baffling because it implies that Dragon Ball is only an anime if it's in Japanese.

I understand that Funimation used to treat Dragon Ball like an American action cartoon, but do people genuinely not know that it isn't one?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:04 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE dubs but this attitude is shit and needs to die like yesterday.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Is that mentality really still prominent today? More people are accustomed to the Japanese version today than ever before. People were already making memes about Goku Black and Ultra Instinct before FUNimation ever got around to dubbing that stuff.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm Is that mentality really still prominent today? More people are accustomed to the Japanese version today than ever before. People were already making memes about Goku Black and Ultra Instinct before FUNimation ever got around to dubbing that stuff.
I just saw two people do it in response to a YouTube comment. The first was posted a week ago, and the other was posted nine hours ago.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Its a throw away insult, don't feed too much into it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 pm

I mean, I don't really qualify for being an Otaku so...eh? I used to be really bothered by being called a weaboo but then it stopped being anywhere near the most important thing in my life after getting into lefty and queer politics.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm

I always thought the idea of a "weeaboo" was someone who romanticizes and infantilizes Japanese culture based on thinking anime is all there is about Japan, and values it above their own society as a result. Like those guys online who say things like "anime doesn't have politics!" and "Japan doesn't have feminism!" to dunk on everything else, etc.

At least, that's what the Filthy Frank video on weebs said, which was the first time I heard the term. Kinda sad how none of his fucking fans got the message of that thing.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm

I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm I always thought the idea of a "weeaboo" was someone who romanticizes and infantilizes Japanese culture based on thinking anime is all there is about Japan, and values it above their own society as a result. Like those guys online who say things like "anime doesn't have politics!" and "Japan doesn't have feminism!" to dunk on everything else, etc.

At least, that's what the Filthy Frank video on weebs said, which was the first time I heard the term. Kinda sad how none of his fucking fans got the message of that thing.
Yeah, that's definitely where the term is currently centered at. If you aggressively and angrily argue that Japan doesn't have any lefty politics you're pretty clearly uneducated. Like, y'all, Google is right there. Queer people exist in Japan, they're fighting for rights and representation just as much as the rest of us.
Zestanor wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
What is dipshit?

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 pm

Zestanor wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
In this context, they're seemingly arguing that those who prefer Japanese Dragon Ball only do so because they're unhealthily obsessed with Japan. Basically, they think those people are "elitists" for having any kind of preference (the same thing happens when people criticize bad home video releases).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Zestanor wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
What is dipshit?
A crass way of calling someone stupid.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am

I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
I used to get called that for using Japanese names. I've tried to not mind it. Like, yeah, I'm not normal. I don't care and I don't care what some jackass I do not even know or respect has to say, either.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
I used to get called that for using Japanese names. I've tried to not mind it. Like, yeah, I'm not normal. I don't care and I don't care what some jackass I do not even know or respect has to say, either.
Yeah, same with me albeit not all that much although i don't really pay mind to those types very often as quite a few whom i've personally run across seem to be those hardcore overly nostalgic of fans the old dub and as such can't bring themselves to use the original names for things although i alternate between them at times.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pmI understand that Funimation used to treat Dragon Ball like an American action cartoon, but do people genuinely not know that it isn't one?
No, that's impossible. If you asked this 10 years ago I might've had a different opinion, but there's no way a DB fan in today's world doesn't know it's an anime (unless they're extremely young like 10 years old). I think it has to do with the fact that watching anime is looked down upon in America (although it's becoming more acceptable as time goes on), so some fans try to justify liking DB by saying it's just a cartoon made in Japan...which is what anime is, cartoons made in Japan.
Zestanor wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pmI mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
I always thought it and Otaku were the Japanese equivalent for geek.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am

Otaku as we use it in the west really ignores the content of its coinage so I always shirk when I see it used in the western fandom. The fundamental attribute of an Otaku--going by Saitou Tamaki's analysis--is the ability to orgasm to an anime character. To experience romantic attraction to them.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:31 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 amThe fundamental attribute of an Otaku--going by Saitou Tamaki's analysis--is the ability to orgasm to an anime character. To experience romantic attraction to them.
That's...very different from what I thought it meant. :o :shock:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am

That's not the common usage of the term, it's similar in meaning to "geek" but carries a lot more social stigma (but then again, so did nerd and geek until more recently).

It could also be comparable to something like "fanboy/girl" which can be used to describe people who take their fandom to obsessive/unhealthy levels.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:18 am

Saiga wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am That's not the common usage of the term, it's similar in meaning to "geek" but carries a lot more social stigma (but then again, so did nerd and geek until more recently).

It could also be comparable to something like "fanboy/girl" which can be used to describe people who take their fandom to obsessive/unhealthy levels.
It's weird, isn't it? My dad sounded somewhat disappointed when I called myself a nerd once (somewhere in the early 2010's).