How would you have handled GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How would you have handled GT?

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Wait, in this hypothetical example, the Evil Dragons are released because Pan wants to resurrect a brand new character? It's not a bad idea but I don't think it carries as much weight, and I'm over the idea of one overarching villain for an entire series.

I honestly like what we got. Build a sense of foreboding and bring back a character we care about.

Narrowing the focus of the story on a handful of main characters works well, and in my estimation works best. I get that DB has a great cast of characters and we want to see them get used better but I'm not the biggest fan of splitting up the cast like this. Narrow the focus and develop the core characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:21 pm Goku regaining his adult body after unlocking SS4. 3 arcs with Chibi Goku were too much for me.

Way shorter search for the db arc. The bonpara Brothers, yikes.

I would make the rest of the squad useful against Super 17. Why couldn't adult Gotenks be a thing? Or Vegeta cheat his way into SS4 during that time?

Against the Shadow Dragons DEFINITELY NOT have Goku and Pan deal with 6 of them. Why couldn't Vegeta defeat the ice one? Or the sun one? Include Gohan, Uub, Gotenks. Where were they?????

Better fights. I never liked how ohzaru Baby and SS4 played out.
I would make Goku less stupid vs Super 17.
The reason for the lack of an adult Gotenks is simple. The character designers most likely couldn’t figure out what he was supposed to look like, especially since Goten’s hair style was different at that point. There was a similar problem with Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, since they opted to just more or less make him a palette swapped Super Saiyan 4 Goku.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 am Search for the Black star DB arc:
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:22 pm The Baby arc part 1:
The Baby arc part 2:
If it seems like I'm making this up as I go along, that's because I am. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Character designers' job is to create a design. Animation not based on comics do exist, after all. Original characters need to be made. Not designing and adult Gotenks and a different Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is not Nakatsuru's fault, especially since he's the original designer of Digimon Adventure, which aired just two years later.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Have Oob, Pan and Bra as the central characters with Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Goten and Trunks serving as supporting characters.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 pm Even if you’re someone who considers thinks that making a sequel series was completely unnecessary, what direction would you say it should’ve gone in?
I'm not sure if they did this and Toriyama declined, but I would have asked him if he could write a basic story outline. I would have also put more focus on Uub. I felt like his character was really built up to be something special at the end of Z, so I was expecting a lot more from him than what Toei ended up doing with his character. I would have also made a second Goku Jr special and had the series go off into Goku Jr's story after Goku defeated the dragons.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:45 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 pm Even if you’re someone who considers thinks that making a sequel series was completely unnecessary, what direction would you say it should’ve gone in?
I'm not sure if they did this and Toriyama declined, but I would have asked him if he could write a basic story outline. I would have also put more focus on Uub. I felt like his character was really built up to be something special at the end of Z, so I was expecting a lot more from him than what Toei ended up doing with his character. I would have also made a second Goku Jr special and had the series go off into Goku Jr's story after Goku defeated the dragons.
He apparently declined Toei’s offer to work on a new Dragon Ball series back in 2008, which was how we ended up with Kai, so I’d imagine that Toriyama probably had no interest in coming up with a story outline for a new Dragon Ball series so soon after he finished the manga’s 11 year run.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm

I would have kept the first two arcs roughly the same. Except the wish of Porunga made Goku his normal size again.

Super 17 I would do a hard rewrite, I am not sure how I wuld do that but I would beef up Uub's role as he would give 17 more of a fight.

As for the Shadow Dragons i would do a few one on one's since we had Seven dragons against the seven heroes. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Uub, Trunks, Goten and Pan.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:34 pm

The Evil Dragon arc is rewritten into a turning point for the series. At the end of the arc Shen Long as we knew him is gone. Maybe he's replaced by seven individual dragons. Maybe he becomes human. Maybe he trains in the martial arts. Or maybe he's reborn as a baby and the gang has to protect him.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 am

Oh, another thing: shorter arcs. The Baby arc is 18 episodes when it could easily just be a more effective nine episodes. The Evil Dragons arc is about sixteen episodes but not really well used. I'd engage other characters and keep Gokuu to a minimum to really diversify the arc a bit. Really, it depends a lot on how faithful to the original one has to be.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pmI'm not sure if they did this and Toriyama declined, but I would have asked him if he could write a basic story outline.
The issues wasn't Toriyama's lack of involvement as much as the writers' lack of time to plan things and figure out what worked.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 am

I like the idea of Piccolo giving his life and going to Hell to keep bad guys in line. It feels like a fitting end for him. That said, his death doesn't have the impact it should because he's barely in the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm I would have kept the first two arcs roughly the same. Except the wish of Porunga made Goku his normal size again.
If Porunga could do that they would've done that in series already.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I would’ve just permanently kept Goku as an adult after he became Super Saiyan 4.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm I would’ve just permanently kept Goku as an adult after he became Super Saiyan 4.
That was by far the biggest opportunity they missed. They made some brave decisions, but my god did they make some terrible ones as well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm

I also found the writing of certain scenes in some episodes to be really badly executed at times, for instance in the tournament episode where Goku literally gets goose tickled out of the ring by some whiny cry baby kid who doesn't look like he should even be there (seriously, Goku could've just as likely flicked him and he'd go down) is such a pathetic way to have Goku lose. They should have at the very least had him matched against a more worthy opponent that would actually be good, instead of something so stupid that it even drives Vegeta up the wall in absolute stunned embarrassment which i'll admit is a pretty funny moment despite the preceding bit above being not so much.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm I also found the writing of certain scenes in some episodes to be really badly executed at times, for instance in the tournament episode where Goku literally gets goose tickled out of the ring by some whiny cry baby kid who doesn't look like he should even be there (seriously, Goku could've just as likely flicked him and he'd go down) is such a pathetic way to have Goku lose. They should have at the very least had him matched against a more worthy opponent that would actually be good, instead of something so stupid that it even drives Vegeta up the wall in absolute stunned embarrassment which i'll admit is a pretty funny moment despite the preceding bit above being not so much.
But there's no point in him fighting in the tournament. There's no grand purpose beyond Goku amusing himself. The fights by that time were so pathetically dull and Goku outmatched everyone that none of it mattered. So he could beat the kid easily but I don't see why there's an issue here. It's not pathetic for him to lose like that just like there's no grand victory. It's not like Goku was taking it seriously.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm I also found the writing of certain scenes in some episodes to be really badly executed at times, for instance in the tournament episode where Goku literally gets goose tickled out of the ring by some whiny cry baby kid who doesn't look like he should even be there (seriously, Goku could've just as likely flicked him and he'd go down) is such a pathetic way to have Goku lose. They should have at the very least had him matched against a more worthy opponent that would actually be good, instead of something so stupid that it even drives Vegeta up the wall in absolute stunned embarrassment which i'll admit is a pretty funny moment despite the preceding bit above being not so much.
But there's no point in him fighting in the tournament. There's no grand purpose beyond Goku amusing himself. The fights by that time were so pathetically dull and Goku outmatched everyone that none of it mattered. So he could beat the kid easily but I don't see why there's an issue here. It's not pathetic for him to lose like that just like there's no grand victory. It's not like Goku was taking it seriously.
Ok, well thinking about it now i suppose him losing like that in general just upset me more than it should for some reason. But yeah, that tournament there in GT is quite removed from the Budokai's height during the original DB series which had far more formidable competitors.

Even still, it doesn't really faze Goku much because he just laughs it off in a "Well, that's how the cookie crumbles." sort of fashion though of course Vegeta being Vegeta takes it a lot more personally.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 pm

The TB was a nice opportunity to give the rest of the cast some spotlight. Maybe Vegeta vs Uub, Goten vs Trunks the rematch, Gohan vs Pan? I don't know. Considering they weren't giving them any real thing to do later on, they could've used that to do some non-Goku Time stuff for a while. I tend to skip or do other stuff when that tournament occurs. Papayaman, damn. Well, Great Saiyaman vs Papayaman would've been funny.

Also, why not have Goku fight with the adults? fuck that rule. Goku vs Uub fighting again... I don't know, I feel they could've given us the promising tournament the Buu arc didn't.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:35 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm I would have kept the first two arcs roughly the same. Except the wish of Porunga made Goku his normal size again.
If Porunga could do that they would've done that in series already.
They side stepped it by saying it would put a strain on his body. Or something close to that. I think they just said that so they had an excuse to keep him a kid.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy