Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Witty User Name
Banned

Re: Is InuYasha A Shojo Dragon Ball?

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am

This is not a forum about Inuyasha. The thread should be locked, I think.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:49 am

Considering the fact that a site administrator was the first one to respond, no, it’s fine.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 am

Mewzard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 pm Sailor Moon has more in common with Dragon Ball than Inuyasha and even calling that "Shoujo Dragon Ball" is a stretch.
It's way closer to a Shoujo Saint Seiya.

But yeah, Inuyasha is 100% a Shonen series.

Look at Osamu Tezuka, he wrote several Shoujo works during his life, like Princess Knight, Twin Knight, and Storm Fairy (which was a collection of Shoujo short stories). He also wrote Shonen stuff, Seinen material, works for super young kids, and pretty much everything possible during his 43+ year career.

Who the creator is doesn't define the genre of what they write. It's the work itself.
Both Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya are the fathers of modern shonen so either comparison works.
Witty User Name wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am This is not a forum about Inuyasha. The thread should be locked, I think.
The thread is Dragon Ball-related so it works.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:17 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 am
Witty User Name wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am This is not a forum about Inuyasha. The thread should be locked, I think.
The thread is Dragon Ball-related so it works.
I know, I was kidding.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:49 am Considering the fact that a site administrator was the first one to respond, no, it’s fine.
But you ARE free to lock up MY thread, aren't you? [/sarcasm]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm

I want to see more 'boys comics made by women' because I find that it's a really unique mix. Mind you, I guess I'm a woman that likes the write the kinds of stories usually done in Japanese boys' comics. One of these days I should probably sit down and read something in full by Takahashi Rumiko. :lol:

Similarly, really want to see more women lead Dragon Ball. Ishitani Megumi's directing on Dragon Ball Super #131 had a really warm touch to it that I really want to see more of in Dragon Ball. It's a genuine curve ball and that's definitely more of what I want to see.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 pm Sailor Moon has more in common with Dragon Ball than Inuyasha and even calling that "Shoujo Dragon Ball" is a stretch.
Sailor Moon is factually a Shojo though.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm

For it to be a "shōjo Dragon Ball," these would need to be addressed:

* Story is wuxia/xianxia. I don't know why one would think something that isn't could ever be called the X- version of Dragon Ball unless you're dealing with a similar impact. That's like saying "John Wick is the Adult Harry Potter." What the fuck?? Similarly, InuYasha is certainly rooted in a very Japanese genre of martial arts mythological fantasy, but Japan isn't China for the same reasons the USA isn't Great Britain. Very similar cultures with many commonalities, but it's the nuances that matter.

* It has similar characters and designs. Some archetypes are just common across culture, but I see nothing in InuYasha that's a parallel to DB.

* It'd need to be shōjo in the first place.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm I want to see more 'boys comics made by women' because I find that it's a really unique mix. Mind you, I guess I'm a woman that likes the write the kinds of stories usually done in Japanese boys' comics. One of these days I should probably sit down and read something in full by Takahashi Rumiko. :lol:

Similarly, really want to see more women lead Dragon Ball. Ishitani Megumi's directing on Dragon Ball Super #131 had a really warm touch to it that I really want to see more of in Dragon Ball. It's a genuine curve ball and that's definitely more of what I want to see.
I've both read and watched a good chunk of Takahashi's works barring Maison Ikkoku and most of Urusei Yatsura, and out of them Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha are definitely my favorites. Of course, as related to Dragon Ball specifically i don't feel that they really bear all that much of a connection in that aspect of being a shojo equivalent.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 am

I think the moniker is there NOT due to Rumiko Takahashi's gender but rather how filled with romance and relationships Inuyasha is. That's quite unique because most shonen dont focus on Romance like Inuyasha does.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:53 am

Inuyasha actually feels like an alternate universe Dragon Ball had Dragon Ball stuck to the beats of the original arc. Girl meets powerful guy, their group gets bigger as the story goes on and the the protagonists goal is to collect an item to get a wish.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 am

WHOA NELLY I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: