Poll about your preferences (manga, anime, games, music...)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Poll about your preferences (manga, anime, games, music...)

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Here is a poll about a little bit of everything regarding the Dragon Ball franchise, with pictures illustrating questions to make it nicer.
Favorite size for the manga, favorite Japanese composer for the series, favorite kind of story or graphics for the games, quality ratings for every movie, every arc, favorite transformations, etc...
27 questions await.

The poll can only admit 30 candidates, so I made two "failsafe" copies so that it extends to 90 candidates in the end.

PRIORITY LINK: http://qys2.com/cwz5dy1f
1st FAILSAFE LINK: http://qys2.com/s479131q (if the priority version is over and closed).
2nd FAILSAFE LINK: http://qys2.com/cr7hfc3a (if the 1st failsafe version is also over and closed).

It might not be perfect but maybe it can inspire you to do your own afterwards, on various subjects for the franchise!
Be careful as a few questions with a lot of possible answers showed a message warning me that phones might not be suitable to answer properly! Try to do it on your computer if you can, just in case!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Poll about your preferences (manga, anime, games, music...)

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 pm

No offense, but I have some criticisms with this.

First, this probably would've worked way better as a Google Form; no limit on responses, as far as I'm aware, and it's resistant to people attempting to cheat the poll (which will always happen if you don't prevent it).

Second, for some reason, you seem to have lumped the first hunt for the Dragon Balls and the 21st Tenkaichi, as well as King Piccolo and the two tournaments surrounding it, each as one arc. Which is ridiculous, if you ask me, especially since you listed the Black-Star Dragon Balls and Baby arcs as being separate... These classic DB arcs are very distinct, and lumping them together is almost like a "yeah, i don't really care, just rank db as three sliders so we can get it over with and get to the stuff i actually watched" or something. Not saying that was your attitude, but... That's certainly how it comes off. Lumping 22nd Tenkaichi, Piccolo, and 23rd Tenkaichi together is almost like lumping the Saiyan and Freeza arcs as one, if you ask me... In theory, they do lead into one-another, but they are distinct stories, each with their own beginning, middle, and end.
Also, you didn't list the filler arcs. I guess you don't have to, but I'd certainly recommend doing so if you're including the anime-exclusive GT storylines.

Furthermore, I think your question about video games is a little too limited; you basically have two options for fighting games, and then you have an option for a card game, then an option for a game like DBZ Kakarot (which I'd argue isn't an "Action RPG", I'd argue it's a fighting game with a levelling system, an open world, and minigames)... Personally, I'd have preferred to vote for an option that said "Literally anything else, because I'm fucking tired of every damn Dragon Ball game being a fighting game of one flavour or another"... So I ticked the "Action RPG" and "Dokkan Battle" options, for lack of a better one.

Then, I have two minor quibbles about individual questions:
For the "End of Z" question, I voted "Tamper with Super's events"... But honestly, I really don't think any particular effort needs to be made for it to fit.
And for the question about Super DB Heroes; I voted for "fine with it existing, but I don't follow it"; an answer more accurate to my feelings is that I was 100% completely on-board with the idea behind this show, and I'm glad it was tried... But I cannot get through it. I think it's pretty shit. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

^ It's all understandable and valid. :)

For the early Dragon Ball arcs, I tried to more or less mimic the way it was officially separated in Shueisha's Full Color Edition, which suits my vision anyway. I think they call it "Boyhood arc" with the first quest of the Dragon Balls and the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai being both part of it. And Piccolo's arc is blended with the two tournaments surrounding it in Shueisha's releases as well, as "Demon King Piccolo arc" if I'm not mistaken.

In Dragon Ball Landmark they do separate it all into: quest for the Dragon Balls, training with Kame Sennin, 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, the Red Ribbon, Fortuneteller Baba, 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Demon King Piccolo, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai...
Way too much if you ask me, to me an arc ends only when there's a sense of "Goku's friends went back to their peaceful daily lives without travelling the world nor fighting any enemy for a while... or possibly forever".
So: "Son Goku make friends and discovers the world", "Red Ribbon Army", "Demon King Piccolo", "Freeza", "Cell", "Boo". But I still made the effort to put the Saiyans in there because I knew that it's what 99% of fans consider to be logical as well as pretty much all official material, so I'm aware that I'm in the wrong there.

For GT, I've seen it only once so it was to vague to be accurate and I remember vaguely home video releases separating the Dragon Ball quests from the Baby stuff. It's enough of a change of direction in my mind. I might be wrong, I'm not a GT expert.

But as I said, the arcs might not be what each person envisions, it would be impossible to please everyone, so I just proposed these ones that more or less match what I think and what Shueisha released lately.
The important thing is that it is just an example, people could do much more specific and accurate polls and I encourage them to do so! 8)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm For the early Dragon Ball arcs, I tried to more or less mimic the way it was officially separated in Shueisha's Full Color Edition, which suits my vision anyway. I think they call it "Boyhood arc" with the first quest of the Dragon Balls and the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai being both part of it. And Piccolo's arc is blended with the two tournaments surrounding it in Shueisha's releases as well, as "Demon King Piccolo arc" if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, but if you ask me, the way it was grouped up in the Full Colours was arbitrary bullshit too. :lol:
And there's not a single other place that groups them up like the Full Colours do. I'm not sure why Shueisha did that -- though it's likely because of the "no one cares about pre-Z" marketing philosophy that everywhere's decided to take on in the past 20 years. See also: Toei skipping DB when they did Kai, all the video games skipping DB, etc.

Again, would you group the Saiyan and Freeza arcs up if they were grouped up in Full Colour?... It just doesn't fit, it makes no sense. They're very distinct, and you can't really rank them all as a group.
Personally, I'd rank the very first arc fairly low, but I'd rank the 21st Tenkaichi very, very high (probably close to a 10/10), then the Red Ribbon a little lower than that... So, what, am I supposed to rank "The Boyhood period" as fairly low because that first arc is only pretty good? Or high because the 21st Tenkaichi specifically is my favourite arc?

Arbitrarily grouping up distinct arcs is a bad idea, and just because one place/person before you has made the same mistake, doesn't mean you have to as well.
Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm In Dragon Ball Landmark they do separate it all into: quest for the Dragon Balls, training with Kame Sennin, 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, the Red Ribbon, Fortuneteller Baba, 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Demon King Piccolo, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai...
Way too much if you ask me, to me an arc ends only when there's a sense of "Goku's friends went back to their peaceful daily lives without travelling the world nor fighting any enemy for a while... or possibly forever".
Dunno about Dragon Ball Landmark, but literally every other non-Full Colour Manga source also splits the arcs up like this, from Kanzenshuu, to the official Dragon Boxes booklet, to online listings, to Funimation (though a lot of the anime-specific sources sometimes break them down a little further; let's ignore that for the moment). So... Looks like Landmark is one of the Daizenshuus?... Put that alongside all the other non-Full Colour listings, and you're basically saying "Yes, literally every source people pay attention to does split things up like that, but I don't like it, so instead, I'm going to arbitrarily pair down six classic arcs into two because it gives a shorter list."

As for "Goku's friends went back to their peaceful daily lives without travelling the world nor fighting any enemy for a while... or possibly forever"... That's a really weird definition of an end to an arc, which completely ignores any sense of narrative. It's also really weird, because the gang go back to their peaceful daily lives at one point in the middle of the Red Ribbon arc, and they do that between the Piccolo and 23rd Tenkaichi arcs, and they do that between the Pilaf and 21st Tenkaichi arcs, and the 21st and Red Ribbon... However, they DO NOT do it between the Saiyan and Namek arcs, nor do they do it when the Black-Star balls arc transitions into the Baby arc. So, this way of separating things is entirely arbitrary, and makes no sense.

Yes, if you separate the arcs properly, there are a lot of arcs... But that's how it is. Dragon Ball ran for eleven years; it told a lot of stories in that time. Trying to get a shorter list is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm So: "Son Goku make friends and discovers the world", "Red Ribbon Army", "Demon King Piccolo", "Freeza", "Cell", "Boo". But I still made the effort to put the Saiyans in there because I knew that it's what 99% of fans consider to be logical as well as pretty much all official material, so I'm aware that I'm in the wrong there.
If you're going by "what 99% of fans consider to be logical as well as pretty much all official material, so I'm aware that I'm in the wrong there.", then you should be splitting up the Pilaf, 21st Tenkaichi, Red Ribbon, 22nd Tenkaichi, Piccolo, and 23rd Tenkaichi arcs.
Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm For GT, I've seen it only once so it was to vague to be accurate and I remember vaguely home video releases separating the Dragon Ball quests from the Baby stuff. It's enough of a change of direction in my mind. I might be wrong, I'm not a GT expert.
You're correct, but these things are exactly as separate as the early DB arcs; perhaps even less so!
The search for the Black-Star Balls arc into the Baby arc is as much a change in direction as Pilaf into 21st Tenkaichi, 21st Tenkaichi into Red Ribbon, 22nd Tenkaichi into Piccolo, and Piccolo into 23rd Tenkaichi... The story from the old one leads directly into the introduction of the new antagonist, and then the gang fight him a bit in space before the shift to earth.
Except, the Black-Star balls are still out there, and the gang are still searching for them until well into the Baby arc. So, if you consider the Pilaf, 21st Tenkaichi, and Red Ribbon arcs, as well as the 22nd, Pilaf, and 23rd, each as one arc, then Black-Star Balls and Baby are also one arc.

But, there's basically nothing out there that groups them up as such, just like DB (DB has the "Full Colour" manga, Funimation later released GT as "Seasons", which I think groups Baby and Black-Star together. Each are ignored by the guidebooks, the booklets in the Dragon Boxes, etc. etc.), so it makes no sense to group them up...
However, given that you've grouped up a bunch at the start, it makes it really inconsistent for you to split them up (them and the Saiyan+Namek arcs) later on.
Cold Skin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm But as I said, the arcs might not be what each person envisions, it would be impossible to please everyone, so I just proposed these ones that more or less match what I think and what Shueisha released lately.
The important thing is that it is just an example, people could do much more specific and accurate polls and I encourage them to do so! 8)
Except it's very easy to please everyone, in this case. Just split up all the arcs into their most-commonly used split points. You're literally the first person I've ever seen actually use the arbitrary Full Colour groupings as a serious arc breakdown; every single other person, post, guide, everything, splits them up into the Pilaf, 21st Tenkaichi, Red Ribbon, 22nd, Piccolo, 23rd. Because those are all the distinct storylines, not counting filler, and grouping them up makes no sense, and just makes it harder to actually rank anything.

This isn't about having to go to unreasonable lengths, this is about not making your survey obtuse and hard to answer. Sorry if that's harsh, but that's honestly what I think about this.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 am

^ Alright, noted. :) But once open, the poll can never be modified anyway, so it is what it is now.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:16 pm

I'll wait until a week has passed since posting this poll and then I'll post the results, so just a bunch of days left until Tuesday probably.
I think after one full week, we'll have all the answers we need and there won't really be any additional participants to be expected.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Here are the results, so learn more about the community's preferences and feel free to comment about the various subjects or results.

For the manga, you prefer the size of comics like the American Full Color edition (44.4%) as opposed to the in-between size of the Kanzenban / Perfect Edition (33.3%) and the classic Tankobon manga size (22.2%).

Half of you guys (50%) see the appeal of the Anime Comics or Animanga (mangas created by editing screen captures from the movies or TV series) but still don't think you would go for them, while 27.5% don't even see any interest in this concept and 22.2% already have them or would gladly have them if they were released in their countries.

You prefer the Dragon Ball mangas to be entirely black and white except for occasionnal chapters/pages being colored by the author (55.6%), while your second preference is to have it fully colored by the Shueisha staff (33.3%), with only 11.1% in favor of a fully black and white release without intruding colors.

A majority thinks that a Dragon Ball novel would not be interesting as this franchise is really meant to be seen and the appeal can't carry over to just text (44.4%). 38.9% think it would be fine because the visuals/sounds are so engrained in their minds that it would be like you can see/hear it all. Only 16.7% think Dragon Ball would still generally work as just text.

You rated the various TV series, giving them a score from one to ten. Here they are from best-rated to worst-rated:
#1 - DRAGON BALL: 8.72
#2 - DRAGON BALL Z: 8.11
#3 - DRAGON BALL SUPER: 5.94
#4 - DRAGON BALL KAI: 5.78
#5 - DRAGON BALL GT: 4.61
#6 - DRAGON BALL HEROES: 2.28

A majority would like new shows to have a grainy texture similarly to the Universe Survival arc (55.6%), with 44.4% prefering a grainless picture.

Imagining that the TV sets are all adapted to it and that the animation for new episodes and movies is created with this picture format in mind, 72.2% prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio, matching most current TV sets and currently used by Dragon Ball Super. 22.2% would rather have the more square-like 4:3 ratio just like back in the old days with Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT. 5.6% would like future shows to use cinemascope-style 21:9 with a wider picture like regular movies.

With 27.8% not being concerned by this question (which was said to be mostly directed towards English-speaking audiences), 33.3% found the Funimation dub nowadays to be pretty nice and serviceable despite not being perfect. Then, 22.2% found it to be so-so and barely acceptable. 11.1% think it is simply atrocious and needs a complete change. 5.6% found it to be really excellent and how it should exactly keep going.

When imagining the release of a Dragon Ball Z remaster that they would consider perfectly and masterfully handled, 33.3% vowed to buy it even if it was more expensive than previous releases, considering it would be well worth it! 27.8% said they would gladly buy it if it wasn't more expensive that usual collections. 16.7% would only be interested if they found a way to have them for free. 11.1% proved not interested due to the existence of Dragon Ball Kai which they consider to be a nicer version, while an equal 11.1% proved simply not interested in watching this story that they know over again. Nobody (0%) claimed that they were not interested due to already having the Dragon Ball Z episodes with a quality they deem good enough.

An overwhelming 72.2% consider that the Dragon Ball Super manga is the direct continuity of the Dragon Ball manga, but that it is still set apart, more like a sequel rather than the same product being continued. 16.7% relegated Dragon Ball Super as a possible, imaginary continuation that is not to be connected to the original, but merely to be considered a what-if spin-off. Finally, 11.1% consider that the Dragon Ball Super is the direct continuity of the Dragon Ball manga to the point that DBS volume 1 is basically DB volume 43 of the original manga that just took a long time to show up.

When asked what version of Dragon Ball Super they liked more between the anime version and the manga version, 11.1% were unable to answer due to not really following either, but for the rest: 33.3% said they liked the anime version more, but an equal 33.3% said it depends on the arc, with their preference going to the manga for specific arcs and to the anime for other specific arcs. 22.2% said they liked the manga version more.

Regardless of their own preferences, when it came to expressing what they feel is probably the true version of the various Dragon Ball Super events, 38.9% couldn't decide which one is the true one in a definitive way, while an equal 38.9% say it is probably an unknown mix of both the anime version and the manga version. Then, 16.7% consider the anime version shows what really happened and the manga is an alternate take on it, while 5.6% consider that the manga version shows what really happened and the anime is an alternate take on it.

About Goten and Trunks' sizes, the majority (55.6%) wants them to grow up quite a bit, being closer to their epilogue incarnations than to the Majin Boo arc size-wise. Then, 38.9% want them to noticeably grow up, but not go overboard with it and stay closer to the Majin Boo arc than to the epilogue size-wise. 5.6% want them to stay the same, considering this is how we love them ever since the Majin Boo arc with no need to ruin their charm.

66.7% actively follow the Moro arc, reading it as it is being released every month. Then, 22.2% don't follow it right now and might keep it for later when the arc is complete or when the anime adapts it. 5.6% don't read them themselves, but still read recaps or follow the discussions to know what's currently going on, while an equal 5.6% are absolutely not interested and don't plan to ever try following it, not even later, not even with an anime adaptation.

When it comes to the way to connect Dragon Ball Super and the epilogue, 50% think that the epilogue should be adapted a bit to fit what happened in Dragon Ball Super. 38.9% think that the upcoming Dragon Ball Super events should be adapted a bit to fit what happens in the epilogue so that the latter remains completely untouched. 11.1% think that it would be best to just completely discard the original epilogue at this point, as it wouldn't possibly fit and/or represents a constaint to the current storytelling.

When it comes to the current Dragon Ball Heroes promo anime, 44.4% don't mind this show existing for whoever likes it, but are not interested and won't bother watching it. 27.8% think it's sort of okay, better than nothing as long as it's just a placeholder that doesn't take the place of a full-fledged Dragon Ball series, but an equal 27.8% wish the show didn't exist. Absolutely nobody (0%) says they love it and would like it to become the new full-fledged show for the franchise, with full length and full budget for episodes.

For future video games, players are equally interested (50% for both) in Kakarot-style games (Action RPG with environments to explore and a detailed story to go through) and FighterZ-style games (fighting games crafted with much care for graphic details and gameplay). 27.8% are interested in Xenoverse-style games (Arena fighting games with a whole lot of characters). 11.1% are interested in card / turn-based battles like Dokkan Battle and Legends. MULTIPLE ANSWERS WERE POSSIBLE, SO THE SUM OF ALL RATES NATURALLY GOES BEYOND 100%.

About the stories in future video games, a whopping 72.2% would like to live through a brand new story that might have happened at some point, much like FighterZ. Then, 44.4% would like to live through the classic story with a new presentation, much like Kakarot, Budokai, Burst Limit and a lot of other Dragon Ball games. Finally, 27.8% would like to live through the classic story being modified with what-ifs, much like Xenoverse, and an equal 27.8% want to live through a story with all kinds of characters in all kinds of versions showing up, including alternate versions of a same character, much like Heroes. MULTIPLE ANSWERS WERE POSSIBLE, SO THE SUM OF ALL RATES NATURALLY GOES BEYOND 100%.

When it comes to the graphics, 50% want them to mimic the anime style, much like most games and especially FighterZ. Then, 38.9% want them to be closer to the manga style, much like Ultimate Tenkaichi, Super Dragon Ball Z and the Kakarot prototype. Only 5.6% want them to be photorealistic like Zenkai Battle Royale or Jump Force, equal with 5.6% that want them to go for a cuter chibi/super-deformed style like Fusions.

People were asked about their various favorite transformations among these main ones. MULTIPLE ANSWERS WERE POSSIBLE, SO THE SUM OF ALL RATES NATURALLY GOES BEYOND 100%.
#1 - Super Saiyan 2: 38.9%
#2 - Super Saiyan God: 33.3%
#2 - Super Saiyan 4: 33.3%
#2 - Super Saiyan: 33.3%
#3 - Transcendental reflex / Ultra Instinct: 27.8%
#3 - Prelude to the transcendental reflex / Ultra Instinct Omen: 27.8%
#3 - Giant Ape / Giant Monkey: 27.8%
#4 - Super Saiyan Blue / Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan: 22.2%
#5 - Super Saiyan 3: 11.1%

You rated various arcs/parts, giving them a score from one to ten. DBS arcs could be considered as the movie, the manga or the TV series, or all. Here they are from best-rated to worst-rated:
#1 - Demon King Piccolo (22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Demon King Piccolo and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai): 8.94
#2 - Saiyan Invasion (from Goku introducing Gohan to everybody deciding to go to Namek): 8.67
#3 - Son Goku explores the world or "Boyhood" arc (first quest for the Dragon Balls and 21st Tenkaichi Budokai): 8.17
#4 - Space tyrant Freeza (from Goku in the hospital to life going back to normal waiting for Goku's return from Namek): 8.11
#5 - Majin Boo resurrected (includes the epilogue with Oob for those who want): 7.83
#6 - The Red Ribbon (Red Ribbon Army and Baba's tournament): 7.61
#7 - Artificial perfection Cell (from Freeza arriving on Earth to Trunks destroying the cyborgs in his future - includes the Other World tournament for those who want): 7.33
#8 - Battle of Gods (Beerus' first visit to Earth and battle with Super Saiyan God Goku): 7.11
#9 - Trunks' Dark Future (Goku Black and Zamasu): 6.89
#10 - Universe Survival (Tournament of Power with eight universes with Jiren): 6.17
#11 - Universe 6 versus Universe 7 (tournament with Hit, Cabba, Magetta...): 5.56
#12 - Baby: 5.50
#13 - Resurrection 'F' (Freeza being resurrected and killed by Super Saiyan Blue Goku): 4.94
#13 - Shadow Dragons: 4.94
#14 - Black-star Dragon Balls (quest for the Dragon Balls in space): 3.94
#15 - Super C-17: 3.39

When it comes to listening to Dragon Ball music, 61.1% like it sometimes as background music while doing something else at the same time. 22.2% like to take some time exclusively to listen to it, not doing anything else except perhaps singing or dancing to it, but it stays strictly focused on the music anyway. 16.7% don't ever listen to it, as they don't need to hear it when not watching an episode or a movie.

You rated the various Japanese composers, giving them a score from one to ten. Here they are from best-rated to worst-rated:
#1 - Kikuchi (Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z): 8.78
#2 - Tokunaga (Dragon Ball GT): 7.22
#3 - Sumitomo (Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc, Battle of Gods, Resurrection 'F', Dragon Ball Super, Broly): 6.28
#4 - Yamamoto (Dragon Ball Kai until Cell's defeat): 5.89
#5 - Takaki (Dragon Ball Ultimate Tenkaichi reanimated scenes, Episode of Bardack, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans): 5.44

When it comes to the possibility of a decent live-action version of Dragon Ball, opinions are totally divided, with 33.3% for all three options. One third thinks that it is absolutely NOT possible, that it is absolutely not meant to be translated to real life looks and filming, that there is no way it can work right. One third thinks that it IS possible, but that this little miracle would take an insane amount of money, efforts, skills and smart decisions to do it properly. Finally, one third thinks it's possible and that it wouldn't even be that hard, as anything can be properly adapted nowadays for who takes it seriously.

You rated the various movies, giving them a score from one to ten. Here they are from best-rated to worst-rated:
#1 - Dragon Ball Super: Broly: 8.17
#2 - DBZ Movie 13 (Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won't Do It, Who Will? - Hildegarn): 7.83
#3 - Battle of Gods (Beerus): 7.33
#4 - DBZ TV SPECIAL (Defiance in the Face of Despair!! - Future Trunks' backstory): 7.17
#5 - DBZ Movie 12 (The Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegeta - Janemba): 7.11
#6 - DBZ TV SPECIAL (A Final, Solitary Battle - Bardack dying in vain despite visions of the future): 6.94
#7 - SPECIAL FEATURE (Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! - Avo and Cado): 6.89
#7 - DB 10th Anniversary Movie (The Path to Ultimate Strength): 6.89
#8 - DBZ Movie 01 (Dragon Ball Z / Return my Gohan!! - Garlic Junior): 6.67
#9 - DBZ Movie 09 (The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy - Bojack): 6.61
#10 - DBZ Movie 08 (Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight - Broly): 6.11
#11 - DBZ Movie 02 (The World's Strongest Guy - Dr. Uiro): 6.00
#12 - DBZ Movie 03 (A Super Decisive Battle for Earth - Tullece): 5.67
#13 - DBZ Movie 05 (The Incredible Strongest vs. Strongest - Coola): 5.61
#14 - DBGT TV SPECIAL (Goku's Side Story - Goku Junior's adventures a hundred years after Dragon Ball GT): 5.50
#15 - DB Movie 03 (A Mystical Great Adventure): 5.39
#16 - DB Movie 02 (Sleeping Princess in the Devil's Castle): 5.22
#17 - DBZ Movie 06 (10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors - Metal Coola): 5.00
#18 - Resurrection 'F' (Freeza): 4.83
#18 - DBZ Movie 04 (Super Saiyan Son Goku - Slug): 4.83
#19 - DBZ Movie 07 (Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans - C-13): 4.67
#20 - DBZ Movie 10 (The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can't Rest - Broly's return): 4.44
#21 - DB Movie 01 (The Legend of Shenron): 4.39
#22 - SPECIAL FEATURE (Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans - Hatch Hyakk): 3.78
#22 - DBZ Movie 11 (Super-Warrior Defeat!! I'm the One Who'll Win - Bio Broly): 3.78
#23 - SPECIAL FEATURE (Episode of Bardack - Bardack going back in time and facing Chilled): 3.44

You were asked which of these characters you would naturally get along with or try to befriend if you were in the Dragon World. Here they are from the highest rate to the lowest rate of people who would be interested in them. MULTIPLE ANSWERS WERE POSSIBLE, SO THE SUM OF ALL RATES NATURALLY GOES BEYOND 100%.
Son Goku: 72.2%
Son Gohan: 66.7%
Krilin: 61.1%
Yamcha: 55.6%
Kaio: 50%
Videl: 50%
Bulma: 38.9%
Future Trunks: 38.9%
Broly (DBS incarnation): 38.9%
Cheely: 38.9%
Dende: 33.3%
C-18: 33.3%
Mister Satan: 33.3%
Majin Boo: 33.3%
Son Goten: 33.3%
Ten Shin Han / Tien: 27.8%
Lemo: 27.8%
C-17: 22.2%
Kid Trunks: 22.2%
Whis: 22.2%
Future Mai: 22.2%
The Pilaf Gang: 16.7%
Chichi: 16.7%
Yajirobe: 16.7%
Vados: 16.7%
Vegeta: 11.1%
Freeza: 11.1%
Beerus: 11.1%
Merus: 11.1%
Champa: 0%

Finally, a good 50% have no Dragon Ball accessories or decorations at home. Then, we have 44.4% having figurines / action figures. 27.8% have ornamental objects, like reproductions of the Dragon Balls, necklaces with a Z... 16.7% have posters, paintings or metal plates with illustrations of the franchise on walls. 5.6% have cosplay clothes. MULTIPLE ANSWERS WERE POSSIBLE, SO THE SUM OF ALL RATES NATURALLY GOES BEYOND 100%.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:52 am

Interesting to read, but is the sampling of 18? if so, not really representative :/ Maybe an official poll could be made with Kanzenshuu staff? (if they do this type things) With some changes and exposure would be really interesting and informative -and fun!-

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:59 pm

^ Yep, after a week, nobody else would have answered the poll, so it was not necessary to wait any longer as there wouldn't have been any more participants. The answer still seem to be coherent with what is generally perceived in discussions, but it is obviously not as representative as polls having a more decent number of participants!

Hopefully, the poll and results will inspire somebody to do a better and more popular poll, that was a main objective anyway. Perceiving what is being said punctually by individual members in various threads is always interesting, but at some point it would also be great to have an overall view on what the community thinks when taken as a large group on various subjects with clear statistics.

It doesn't give any less value to less popular opinions and doesn't state an absolute truth about what's right or wrong either, but it does what polls do: giving a general view on what most people think and feel like, regarding various aspects/subjects, which is always interesting too.

We can only hope this poll will inspire other people to create more efficient polls that gather more opinions. At the very least, it was still an interesting glimpse at various opinions, habits and possible general tendancies.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am

I might try running one on Google Docs after the rewatch I'm running has finished.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm

I think it's kind of odd that so many people were against the idea of a novel, because I know a lot of people here read/write fanfics, and those are the same kind of thing (Dragonball in text form).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am I might try running one on Google Docs after the rewatch I'm running has finished.
You definitely should! :thumbup:
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:00 pm I think it's kind of odd that so many people were against the idea of a novel, because I know a lot of people here read/write fanfics, and those are the same kind of thing (Dragonball in text form).
Maybe it comes down to the kind of story being told. They might consider that a fan-fiction will bring them what they want without constraints and be worth reading to have some "fan fantasies" come to life, especially what-ifs.
It's possible that when they think of an official novel with an official story, they think "they can't come up with a fascinating story breaking the rules that's worth being read with just text rather than being seen with pictures".

The "unrestrained storytelling" side of things could be a possible explanation. Perhaps most fanfics are also way shorter than an actual novel would be, so they might feel like reading short fanfics but not hundreds-of-pages-long texts about a Dragon Ball story.

But all that is just a guess, since I don't read fanfics myself but might go for a novel if it was about an official untold story (for example the Yamoshi's story or even just a new, extra adventure for our heroes). I'm on the side of having visuals and voices so engrained in my mind that even if I usually don't like novels, I would get the feeling of seeing and hearing it all in this case. Wouldn't read a novel about a DB story that is already available in another form though (manga, game or anime).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 pm

I would prefer tankōbon-sized comics rather than the size Viz uses. Viz's comics are DVD-sized, but I think the tankōbons are BD sized. Right? Anyway, for how thin they are, I always thot the smaller size of the Japanese comics was better. Plus, it IS a Japanese comic, so why not leave 'em all the same size. That way you know.

Surprisingly, adding artificial film-grain to the bad-looking modern artwork makes it look alright. However, I think I'd prefer they just draw it better. I only care about having grain when it's printed on film.

I want the movies to be 1.85:1 like they have been, and the TV stuff to be in either 16:9 or 1.85:1.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 pm

^ As far as I'm concerned, the bigger the better. With Toriyama's drawings, I found the intensity to be quite striking just by going from Tankobon (regular small size) to Kanzenban / Perfect edition (in-between) size. So I can only imagine how the intensity would be even bigger with a comic book size like the American Full Color edition, which must also match the size of the V-Jump for which the manga was drawn.

I can do without grain. It's not a matter of life and death and I saw in the Universe Survival arc how it gives the illusion of a more complex picture just by adding some texture to it. But I don't like how it can also hinder the immaculate clarity of white flashes on the screen or big beams. And it still looks like constant dirt in the end. I'm all for keeping grain when it's part of the picture of old material rather than erasing it at the cost of details. But I don't like it much when it's added on purpose, I always deactivate it in games ever since the Silent Hill games.

The cinemascope format automatically gives me the illusion of watching something of higher quality. It's likely all psychological and due to the habit of having seen cinema movies being like that all my life. But classic widescreen suits me as well, and it's even what I voted for. It's panoramic enough. I don't find the 4:3 format to be immersive enough due to a lack of view on the sides. Ironically enough, it has been said that it's what would be closer to our actual fied of view, but it's not the feeling I get, I feel like we have a panoramic field of view that extends a lot to the sides and not that much height-wise, that we are closer to seeing life in 16:9 than in 4:3.

So even if the truth is actually the opposite, 16:9 feels immersive compared to 4:3, which is probably why the switch to this picture format was done for pretty much all TV sets nowadays. And of course, 1:85 or 21:9 or any cinema-style format close to that suit me as well for the same reason (plus the automatic "higher quality" psychological effect).