Semi Perfect Cell is Underrated

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Semi Perfect Cell is Underrated

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:07 pm
Unrealistic male beauty standards be like
Lawd, if you think I'm hawt for Second Form Cell just wait until you see my opinion on the orc kings in independent comics. Or the conventionally attractive boys from Kuroko no Baske, specifically Midorima Shintarou.

Click for 1080p version.

Or Dragon Ball Super Broli. Holy fucking shitballs on a bloody crucifix, he's such a stud...
Any thoughts about the man, the myth, the legend, General Blue? :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,
  • Preferred viewing order = DB ---> Kai ---> Super + Relevant movies (DB subbed, all others dubbed)
  • Favorite Arcs = Red Ribbon Army, Saiyan Arc, Frieza Arc, 23rd Budoukai, Piccolo Daimao
  • Favorite Characters Besides Goku/Vegeta = General Blue, Pilaf Gang, Crane Hermit, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Frieza, Ginyu Force, Tournament Announcer, Lunch, Broly, and Piccolo

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:07 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm
I don't really think it's my place to talk about a cisgay male character like that considering, well, I'm not a man, especially considering how the 1986 animated adaption of the character is really offensive by implying that gay men are pedophiles. Making the only explicitly queer character in the series an evil sociopath is a really offensive move and that's about as far as I'm willing to go.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:07 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm
I don't really think it's my place to talk about a cisgay male character like that considering, well, I'm not a man, especially considering how the 1986 animated adaption of the character is really offensive by implying that gay men are pedophiles. Making the only explicitly queer character in the series an evil sociopath is a really offensive move and that's about as far as I'm willing to go.
That's an understandable position.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,
  • Preferred viewing order = DB ---> Kai ---> Super + Relevant movies (DB subbed, all others dubbed)
  • Favorite Arcs = Red Ribbon Army, Saiyan Arc, Frieza Arc, 23rd Budoukai, Piccolo Daimao
  • Favorite Characters Besides Goku/Vegeta = General Blue, Pilaf Gang, Crane Hermit, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Frieza, Ginyu Force, Tournament Announcer, Lunch, Broly, and Piccolo

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:52 pm

I like where Toriyama was going with his design. Semi-Perfect Cell is a unique cross between a humanoid and bug creature.

I also agree this form was severely underused. Apart from his first appearance, all he did was blow some islands and get his ass kicked. One thing I liked is that while he was a great deal more arrogant than in his Imperfect form, he wasn't completely full of himself like his Perfect form so he wasn't above using psychological warfare to achieve his goals like using #17's voice to subdue #18 or using Vegeta's pride against him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
I Live Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 pm
I just don't like the way the form looks. Imperfect form is frightening and unique looking. Perfect form is just really cool looking. Semi is just weird and goofy looking.
This. Of his 3 major forms its by far my least favorite aesthetically and I’m not surprised Toriyama’s editor rushed him to transform faster because “he looked like a moron”

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Shueisha editors behind on the himbo-craze sweeping the universe. Poor, dumb bastards.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 pm

Yeah, Semi-Perfect cell was dare I say, perfect for the petulant and desperate, power-thirsty phase of his character but if that were the final design for Perfect Cell...yikes. No buys. It's just too stupid looking.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I also agree this form was severely underused. Apart from his first appearance, all he did was blow some islands and get his ass kicked.
And sucessfully kill the main character off.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.