Most underwhelming character death in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Most underwhelming character death in the franchise?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm

For me, probably Kibito. It happens so fast, and is undone almost as quickly, that it's hard to remember that he even died at all, but he did. Before the action even starts, he just gets blasted point-blank by Dabura while the gang are observing Babidi from a cliff. I can't really fathom what purpose his death shows other than to arbitrarily show how strong and evil Dabura is, but it doesn't really work since Kibito never even does anything prior to this, we only have his vague testimonies that he could give a Super Saiyan a hard time (not exactly impressive at this point considering his godly reputation) and we're given no reason to care about him. The stakes were already raised by Krillin and Piccolo being petrified. Shin doesn't even seem that bothered by his lifelong attendant's abrupt death. And yeah, then he's just resurrected by the Dragon Balls not too long after.

Some "underwhelming" deaths can serve the plot and characters really well, on the other hand. Trunks killing Future 17, 18 and Cell so quickly and effortlessly show how far he's come in terms of power while also showing that, at heart, he's still the ruthless, pragmatic warrior who gets shit done that we were first introduced to. He doesn't need to prolong his enemies suffering. To paraphrase James Marsters' (excellent) Zamasu, HE JUST NEEDS THEM DEAD.

Which expeditious expirations stick out to you?

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Most underwhelming character death in the franchise?

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 pm

I liked Kibito's death because it served its purpose. We didn't really need to know any more about him.

The Dragon Team's deaths in the Boo Saga were underwhelming, mostly because Toriyama didn't care anymore and wasn't trying.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Baby. He enslaves and overpowers the most powerful characters in the franchise and his ending is trying to run away in a spaceship and gets blasted into the sun. It's an anticlimactic ending. instead of a cathartic one.

Future 17 and 18's death felt cathartic. He doesn't waste time and it was nice seeing them feel helpless for a change.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:34 pm

Remember how in the anime version of Resurrection F, Piccolo was killed? I sure didn't until just now. He just goes out with a "nothing death". That might be the most underwhelming one, though maybe it fits better as a candidate for the most forgettable one.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm For me, probably Kibito. It happens so fast, and is undone almost as quickly, that it's hard to remember that he even died at all, but he did.
Yeah, when I finally got back into Dragon Ball with the orange bricks, I was surprised because I completely forgot about that.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Piccolo in RoF

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 am

Piccolo's RF anime death, as it tries and completely fails at recapturing what made the original work.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:10 am

I think Broly's death in Bio Broly was kind of weak, considering that in Movie 8 he was smashed by a comet head on after being torn up by Goku, Second Coming had him blasted right into the sun by an epic joint Kamehameha with Goku Gohan and Goten, then in Bio Broly, he just kinda gets zapped by Goten and Trunks in the end and dissolves into the ocean. Maybe there wasn't a more over the top, flashy, dramatic finish they could think of for him :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:10 am I think Broly's death in Bio Broly was kind of weak, considering that in Movie 8 he was smashed by a comet head on after being torn up by Goku, Second Coming had him blasted right into the sun by an epic joint Kamehameha with Goku Gohan and Goten, then in Bio Broly, he just kinda gets zapped by Goten and Trunks in the end and dissolves into the ocean. Maybe there wasn't a more over the top, flashy, dramatic finish they could think of for him :lol:
In M8 you have whole planet blowin-up simultaneously with Goku's finishing punch to escape from Broly

In M10 you needed a Sun (a star) to catalyst Goku/Gohan/Goten's Kamehameha finisher

You can't have Z fighters blow-up solar system or Galaxy to finish off Bio-Broly isn't it?😂 Or at least, it wasn't established up till that point. Majin Boo was nother case though

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:57 am

Alruneia wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:34 pm Remember how in the anime version of Resurrection F, Piccolo was killed? I sure didn't until just now. He just goes out with a "nothing death". That might be the most underwhelming one, though maybe it fits better as a candidate for the most forgettable one.
I was gonna say "how could I forget Piccolo's death in Super", but then I remembered... it's Piccolo's death in Super. :lol: It's a new level of underwhelming.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 am Piccolo's RF anime death, as it tries and completely fails at recapturing what made the original work.
Pretty much. It was a poor imitation slapped on for fan service. Goku's reaction also lacked the mourning needed to make a death matter. Worst written and executed death in the series by a country mile.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Goku killing giant fish.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 pm

Roshi's 'death' in the ToP was pretty forgettable.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:27 pm

It's hard to top Piccolo in TV Resurrection F. A lot of people probably don't know it even happened.

From the original manga, I guess there's the people who died when Kid Buu blew up the Earth. Not because it's not a dramatic scene, but it includes characters like Gohan, Goten and Trunks who had their only canon deaths there, or Piccolo, Tien and Chiaotzu whose previous deaths were far more dramatic.

Also, Future Trunks' death to Cell. Again, fairly dramatic and pivotal to Vegeta's character, but it's undone quickly and felt like it was just there to tick a box. Trunks' presence might have complicated the climax, plus he was about to go back home so better kill him off at least once so we can say every hero has died.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 am

Krillin, the first time in the anime. It's just a kick to the jaw, WTF?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am

Goku falling to a heart virus. Most powerful character in the show just got sick and died

Pui Pui and Yakon was kind of disappointing too. Babidi had such weak henchmen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 am Krillin, the first time in the anime. It's just a kick to the jaw, WTF?
Is that really underwhelming? First major character death in the franchise, the sense of foreboding build up with Goku’s premonition, the characters reactions.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 am Krillin, the first time in the anime. It's just a kick to the jaw, WTF?
Is that really underwhelming? First major character death in the franchise, the sense of foreboding build up with Goku’s premonition, the characters reactions.
Oh that's not the death itself IMO, it's the anime's "he got kicked in the face and died lol" angle that I never liked. There's a sheer TERROR in the anime where you don't even know how Krillin died exactly that it kinda ruins in the next episode.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Oh that's not the death itself IMO, it's the anime's "he got kicked in the face and died lol" angle that I never liked. There's a sheer TERROR in the anime where you don't even know how Krillin died exactly that it kinda ruins in the next episode.
Oh, okay, gotcha. I guess the quick simplicity and brutality worked for me. A twice semi finalist who could somewhat keep up with Roshi and Goku being killed so easily by a henchmen no less. Had it been Krillin’s second or third death it would have been more underwhelming (for me) but at this point the sheer fact that a major character could be killed gave it a lot of leeway in the execution.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Honestly, Piano. He had actually been a reasonably major character up to that point, but his death is such a blink-and-you'll-miss-it footnote I think I DID actually miss it the first time I read that chapter. Clearly just brushed aside because he had served his role and didn't need to be in the story any more.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!