Question about Movie 12 for all you fansub experts out there

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Question about Movie 12 for all you fansub experts out there

Post by Gokitalo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:09 pm

As detailed on the site's Rumor Guide, one of the most famous fansubbed lines of Movie 12 is Gogeta's "I am neither Goku nor Vegeta… I am the instrument of your defeat!” So my question is: who made the particular fansub where that line appeared? I know Kanzenshuu says Anime Labs worked on the more famous fansubs, but is this specific translation from Anime Labs, too?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Question about Movie 12 for all you fansub experts out there

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Welp. Can't say I didn't try!

So this comes pretty amusingly after posting the podcast today where we talked about organizing our fansubs, and my specifically telling the story of loaning movies 11 & 12 to a floormate in college and never getting it back (this is why I didn't cite them on that fansub dialog page; I haven't had the tape to check in years!). No worries, I thought; my wife has hers, so I'll go check it. If it's not the right one, at least we could cross that fansubber off the list.

Popped it in, yep, seems to be the right one. Definitely the same fansubber as I remember from my tape, complete with the "Pikehan" name spelling. (Forgive the seemingly-black-and-white picture here as I got it coming into auto tracking.)

Cool, so let's fast-forward to the credits to see if that's where the fansubber lists their name and if not we'll rewind to the beg..........

So, uhh, anyone else have their movie 12 fansub still sitting around?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:32 am

Haha, I greatly appreciate the attempt regardless, Mike! :lol: At least now I know that the quote actually says "not Goku" instead of "neither Goku," which was definitely something I didn't know before. My apologies about Meri's tape!

But yes, if anybody else has that fansub or a great memory, I'd love to know who the fansubber who came up with that famous line was. I bet even they must be surprised by that quote's lasting legacy...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:42 am

Man shame your player ate the old school fansub, Mike (This was one of the biggest downsides about magnetic tape formats like VHS and Betamax and the machines which played them). The same thing happened to a few cassettes i'd had when i was a kid and it really sucked because trying to remove the crumpled up tape strips from inside the machine was always the worst. My mom or dad (mostly dad) always had to unscrew the top of the player and manually unwind it from the parts that the tape wraps around on the inside.

Wow, it was definitely much better once we got a DVD player circa 1999/2000. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:05 am

Making a little progress here!

A fellow Twitter user named Krista (not sure if you're also here on the forum?!) responded to my tweets a couple times and narrowed down the name Oukami Studios for me. That's... not actually a name I was familiar with. My movie fansubs were a combination of S.Baldric/Monsoon for like 4-6 I think, Yagami Studios for 7 & 9, I don't remember 8 or 10 that well, and movie 13 was Anime Labs...

Anyway, so I looked up Capsule Corp. Trading Post (which is where I got my movies 11/12 tape) on archive.org, and they list the subber as "unknown". That actually kinda helps, since Krista made a good point in that there don't seem to be watermarks/credits from any of the other big distros of the day (who tended to do that sort of thing), and this old fansub list website attributes Oukami to a bunch of the movies.

The name spellings in my movie 12 were fairly unique. "Goku" was extremely underused believe it or not, with a lot doing "Gokou" and "Gokuu" and Monsoon actually doing "Gokuo". There's also "Vejita" and "Pikehan" in the subs, so that helps narrow it down if any other fansubbers used "Vejita".

Basically, it's looking like Oukami right now. I'd check some other fansubs between Meri and I to double-check some things, but... uhh... well... that VCR... :lol:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 am

I know how you feel Mike. A few years ago I wanted to watch my old Snow White VHS, but we hadn't rewound it the last time we watched it as kids. Took about two seconds to realize we shouldn't be using that VHS player anymore!

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:36 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:34 pm So, uhh, anyone else have their movie 12 fansub still sitting around?
I have a fansub of this movie on VCD and it may be the same version, as it was converted off a VHS source. I can check out the end of the video to see who the fansubber is.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Update:
The group's name credited on the Movie 12 fansub is "Anime Densetsu No Kaitakusha" (in all caps). I can confirm this is the same version as it has the line that's in VegettoEX's screencap. Through a Google-search, it seems the group also fansubbed Saint Seiya as well.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Pretty good detective work! I just tried Googling "Anime Densetsu No Kaitakusha" myself and fittingly enough, it led me right back here! Specifically to a post by Jawdrahb from a 2012 thread:
viewtopic.php?t=19269&start=20#p525946

Jawdrahb included two screencaps from a fansubbed Movie 12 (which I'll repost below), one of which contains the "instrument of your defeat" line. Interestingly enough, though, "Vegeta" is actually spelled with two e's in the image, whereas in Meri's tape, the second "e" was swapped for an "i." Maybe the fansubber(s) altered the spelling in a later release?

Jawdrah's second Movie 12 screencap confirms Anime Densetsu No Kaitakusha did the fansub:

Again, the slight variations in the spelling and Vegeta (and I think using "nor" instead of "or") are curious, but everything else matches up. In another of Jawdrah's screencaps, Paikuhan is even spelled "Pikehan," like in the tapes Meri and Mike had:

Was it common for fansubbers to sometimes edit their work? If so... I think we've solved the case!