What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18754
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Locust wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 am
ABED wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 am
Full potential? That was reached LONG ago.
This seems like an impossible thing to judge - no one knows what the future will bring, what will be created

Regardless, Dragon Ball simply makes too much money for companies to just drop the IP. That's a cold, hard, cynical fact.
Companies will keep using it to make various media based off it, and if that's the case, I would rather there was an attempt to make future creations the best they possibly can be
It's not cynical, it's just business.

I get that but holding out hope that the story has some unrealized potential well after the original conclusion is silly. New DB is about as good as it possibly can be. There's nowhere new for the story to go that isn't same song, different verse.
Assuming you're referring to a theoretical reboot in this sense, then does this also reflect your view on the original anime, and the Super anime?

Yes, it's based on Toriyama's writings, but he's far from a singular auteur with one vision driving every aspect of it, the various directors, writers, etc. did their own thing with a lot of it, particularly Super, for which Toriyama only contributes rough outlines, similar to several filler storylines in the original run.
An adaptation of a work is different than an outright continuation at least in this context given how close the anime adhered to the manga. Super is a sequel created by different authors so yes, my point applies here. It's quasi-DB. The DB I'm referring to is the original run. Super is close but no cigar. Even if Toriyama were still writing, it might have the same voice, but there's no more lightning in a bottle. Also, how many revivals can you think of that are as good as when they left off?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Let Tomioka Atsuhiro and a good series director handle a nee sequel. Ask Matsui Aya to write a rewrite of GT focusing on the type if stories DB doesn't normally do, like her work on Pokemon.

Like, it's possible to make new DB. Toriyama did it for eleven years, just pulling whatever shit her could out of his ass.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18754
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Let Tomioka Atsuhiro and a good series director handle a nee sequel. Ask Matsui Aya to write a rewrite of GT focusing on the type if stories DB doesn't normally do, like her work on Pokemon.

Like, it's possible to make new DB. Toriyama did it for eleven years, just pulling whatever shit her could out of his ass.
Because lightning struck. It was right idea, right talents, right ideas, right place, right time. The planets aligned. Lighting was captured in a bottle. Whatever other hackneyed phrase you want that means the same thing - Success is transient and difficult to achieve.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Let Tomioka Atsuhiro and a good series director handle a nee sequel. Ask Matsui Aya to write a rewrite of GT focusing on the type if stories DB doesn't normally do, like her work on Pokemon.

Like, it's possible to make new DB. Toriyama did it for eleven years, just pulling whatever shit her could out of his ass.
Because lightning struck. It was right idea, right talents, right ideas, right place, right time. The planets aligned. Lighting was captured in a bottle. Whatever other hackneyed phrase you want that means the same thing - Success is transient and difficult to achieve.
Cool, good thing creators better than Toriyama exist.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18754
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Let Tomioka Atsuhiro and a good series director handle a nee sequel. Ask Matsui Aya to write a rewrite of GT focusing on the type if stories DB doesn't normally do, like her work on Pokemon.

Like, it's possible to make new DB. Toriyama did it for eleven years, just pulling whatever shit her could out of his ass.
Because lightning struck. It was right idea, right talents, right ideas, right place, right time. The planets aligned. Lighting was captured in a bottle. Whatever other hackneyed phrase you want that means the same thing - Success is transient and difficult to achieve.
Cool, good thing creators better than Toriyama exist.
And they can create their own stories which will be better because it will be their own world, their characters, their sense of life, their voice, etc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Aim
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by Aim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm
Fanzines/doujinshi.

I'm aware, but the system is still structured to the advantage of corporate-controlled workplaces. Those need to be crushed and converted to being worker-owned and democratically operated so that workers aren't thrown into working conditions that they have no say over.
WORKER CO-OP

User avatar
GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

If a reboot does ever happen, I kind of want them to mix things up. Like have Yamcha make it to at least the semi finals in one of the tournaments. Maybe have Tien survive the Saiyan assault and he accompanies the others to Namek. I know these are far fetched, but I like it when reboots change things up.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:44 pm

Yamcha defeating Silver in a brutal battle during the 23rd Tenka'ichi, please.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5146
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:58 pm

A reboot shouldn't change anything to comply with today's standards. Rather, it should just emphasize less on certain things. For example, Master Roshi should still be a borderline-predator/pervert, but that shouldn't be the trait that's accentuated. Master Roshi is at his best when he's the Yoda of the group--a fighting savant. Mr. Popo is such an irrelevant character, they could just show him watering flowers in the background, facing back, and nobody would notice he didn't have a bigger role.

That said, if the bulk of Super, SDBH, and GT are anything to go by, I am extremely weary of a DBZ reboot. The ToP arc gave me some hope, given its animation and amazing fight sequences, but the rest of Super had abysmal animation. GT and SDBH also have very uninspired battles. This is a series about fighting. If they do not plan to give a reboot the budget and time it deserves, then get that idea far away.

Something I would really enjoy, though, is a 3 or 4 part movie retelling of the saiyan saga with art from the Broly movie, with each part focusing on developing a certain character (e.g. Part 1 covers Goku's character and an expanded journey through snake way. Part 2 emphasizes on Gohan and Piccolo. Part 3 on Vegeta before the final battle. Maybe Krillin and the humans get their own part too). Each part being about an hour or so long, split into chunks. This would be really cool on a platform like Netflix.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

It's a show for kids. It shouldn't feature a borderline rapist.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5146
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm

I wouldn't mind them toning it down. Super's depiction of Roshi's perversion was quite exaggerated.

I wouldn't want them canceling Master Roshi altogether though. Just no physical assaulting, and I'm good.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm
I wouldn't mind them toning it down. Super's depiction of Roshi's perversion was quite exaggerated.

I wouldn't want them canceling Master Roshi altogether though. Just no physical assaulting, and I'm good.
But sexual harassment of women is okay if it's just verbal or asking for physical? What?
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm
I wouldn't mind them toning it down. Super's depiction of Roshi's perversion was quite exaggerated.

I wouldn't want them canceling Master Roshi altogether though. Just no physical assaulting, and I'm good.
But sexual harassment of women is okay if it's just verbal or asking for physical? What?
Yeah I always roll my eyes whenever I hear anyone try to defend that sort of thing in Anime :roll: That's the one thing I don't blame Funimation one bit for not including in the dub(same deal with Dic and Cloverway cutting out all the stuff about Raye's grandfather being a creepy lecherous pervert in Sailor Moon) I just don't find that sort of thing remotely charming or funny in the least and if there was a reboot that would be the first thing i'd change.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 3259
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm
I wouldn't mind them toning it down. Super's depiction of Roshi's perversion was quite exaggerated.

I wouldn't want them canceling Master Roshi altogether though. Just no physical assaulting, and I'm good.
But sexual harassment of women is okay if it's just verbal or asking for physical? What?
Yeah I always roll my eyes whenever I hear anyone try to defend that sort of thing in Anime :roll: That's the one thing I don't blame Funimation one bit for not including in the dub
I mean they include his sexual harassment in the dub? Sure it was removed in the edited dub but it’s not like Saban or Cartoon Network would allow them to leave it is (and even the edited Dragon Ball dub still somewhat left his perversion in)

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13915
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Hey just wanna say good on Brady and friends for including a disclaimer on a Lupin film with offensive portrayals of queer people. More of this on older works, like Dragon Ball!

https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/ ... 88289?s=19
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm


But sexual harassment of women is okay if it's just verbal or asking for physical? What?
Yeah I always roll my eyes whenever I hear anyone try to defend that sort of thing in Anime :roll: That's the one thing I don't blame Funimation one bit for not including in the dub
I mean they include his sexual harassment in the dub? Sure it was removed in the edited dub but it’s not like Saban or Cartoon Network would allow them to leave it is (and even the edited Dragon Ball dub still somewhat left his perversion in)
Oh i know, I was referring to the Ocean dub.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Locust
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Location: UK/Osaka

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by Locust » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 pm
Hey just wanna say good on Brady and friends for including a disclaimer on a Lupin film with offensive portrayals of queer people. More of this on older works, like Dragon Ball!

https://twitter.com/BradyHartel/status/ ... 88289?s=19
This is good. I know that some older Disney and Bugs Bunny cartoons had warnings like this
I wouldn't mind if this was included for Dragon Ball

I said before but - while parents obviously do have a responsibility to know what their kids are watching, can't really blame them for not knowing that a kids anime has things like Roshi's antics in it
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm

Anything can be played for laughs if done in a tasteful way.. and yes that includes unwanted sexual advances.. Murder is as bad as it can get in real world morality but I’m sure all of us here has laughed or chuckled at someone getting offed in piece of media at some point, be it Dragon Ball or other wise.

Shake from Aqua Teen has “died” several times within that series and each situation was freaking hilarious.

Johnny Cage is full of sexual one liners when he’s put up against the MK ladies and they’re all pretty damn funny, because they’re played light heartedly.

Meg constantly being abused by her family is not funny and never has been (imo) because most of it comes off pretty mean spirited.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

User avatar
Locust
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Location: UK/Osaka

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by Locust » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:02 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm
Anything can be played for laughs if done in a tasteful way.. and yes that includes unwanted sexual advances.. Murder is as bad as it can get in real world morality but I’m sure all of us here has laughed or chuckled at someone getting offed in piece of media at some point, be it Dragon Ball or other wise.
It's a show/manga geared at children though, that's the point.
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

MyVisionity
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:11 pm

I love Roshi and Oolong's lechery and predatory behavior, and I don't think Dragon Ball would be the same without it.

That said, it's obviously problematic and does not belong in a children's cartoon. Any reboot should most definitely do away with it.

As far as TV edits, I don't agree with that kind of thing. Either show the series the way it was made or don't show it at all.

Post Reply