DB is not better than DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: DB is not better than DBZ

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:03 pmIt's been years since original DB had any media presence.
It still has the DB name attached to it, so despite not selling as well as Z, it wouldn't flop either.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm The Dragon Boxes for Z were aimed at the hardcore fandom. Which tend to be the same people who do watch Dragon Ball so I don’t know if it would sell that much worse.
Right. All of Z was released on Dragon Box in the US, so I'm inclined to believe they sold well. The same audience who bought the Z Dragon Boxes would buy Dragon Ball.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm Right. All of Z was released on Dragon Box in the US, so I'm inclined to believe they sold well. The same audience who bought the Z Dragon Boxes would buy Dragon Ball.
That was ten years ago when people still bought DVDs. And the group of people that would buy that was always going to be smaller than the Z DBOX buyer market. DB is less popular than Z; part of the Z Dragon Box allure was that the season sets are unacceptable, etc.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Zestanor wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm Right. All of Z was released on Dragon Box in the US, so I'm inclined to believe they sold well. The same audience who bought the Z Dragon Boxes would buy Dragon Ball.
That was ten years ago when people still bought DVDs. And the group of people that would buy that was always going to be smaller than the Z DBOX buyer market. DB is less popular than Z; part of the Z Dragon Box allure was that the season sets are unacceptable, etc.
All that may be true, but I still don't see enough reason to never release it again in any format. It may be less popular than Z, but it's still Dragon Ball. I still definitely don't think it would underperform. It wouldn't do as well as Z, but it wouldn't underperform. But I guess Toei/Funimation feels it isn't worth the risk (in terms of the cost of producing it). I think it's more likely a result of milking Z/Super since they are definitive cash cows and just not focusing on DB at all, rather than there being a risk of it underperforming.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 amAnd you know that how? You say that with such authority as if you know for a fact that they would be profitable.
At this point I believe you're contradictory for the fun of it. To answer your question, it's DB, one of, if not the biggest anime franchise in the world. It may not be as successful as a 12th re-release of Z, but it won't crash and burn either.
Where's the contradiction?Where did I write something to the contrary? I'm really confused. Am I contradicting you or myself? Why would you think I contradict for the fun of it?

If they can make money off of it, they would. For anyone here thinking it would be profitable, what's keeping them from releasing it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm For anyone here thinking it would be profitable, what's keeping them from releasing it?
General apathy toward any part of the franchise that isn’t Z or Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm For anyone here thinking it would be profitable, what's keeping them from releasing it?
But are they apathetic towards making money? Perhaps the reason they don't put much into DB is because it is historically not a draw for them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm The Dragon Boxes for Z were aimed at the hardcore fandom. Which tend to be the same people who do watch Dragon Ball so I don’t know if it would sell that much worse.
But the Dragon Boxes were limited editions that were never supposed to make bank. So I don't think that's a great comparison.

As far as Funi is concerned: If you want DB in physical form, the blue sets will do. I don't think there's enough excitement beyond the hardcore fanbase for Funi to even bother remastering the series.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 am Honestly I don't believe DB (Pre-DBZ, not the whole manga) could survive in nowadays Weekly Shonen Jump. There's barely anything impressive about it.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha.
Oh man this has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my life.

Have you read Jump lately? It's absolute dogshit. There's a reason the circulation numbers are down the drain.
Just when it comes to art quality alone(putting aside the entertainment factor because it would be too unfair) DB mogs the everliving shit out of everything published in Jump for the last 10 years EASILY.
Like have you seen One Piece's art lately(since post-TS more like it)? That shit is unreadable.
HxH which gets barely published at all still manages to sell 1+ million copies per volume easily whereas pretty much all of these other new series barring a few exceptions struggle to achieve that number in a consistent basis despite probably trying a million times more.

You're telling me that a dogshit series like Hero Academia is better than DB?
And that shit isn't even the worse thing Jump publishes nowadays.

Absolutely ridiculous assessment with no bearing in reality whatsoever.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:41 pm

I really enjoy Black Clover and HeroAca. There's been some really great storylines and art lately, like Noelle's big fight against the devils in the former and Deku's solo battles in the latter.

I'm so excited for when Bleach and Burn the Witch return! All four are producing even more exciting stories that DB right now!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:09 pm

damn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 am Honestly I don't believe DB (Pre-DBZ, not the whole manga) could survive in nowadays Weekly Shonen Jump. There's barely anything impressive about it.

Have you read Jump lately? It's absolute dogshit. There's a reason the circulation numbers are down the drain.
Just when it comes to art quality alone(putting aside the entertainment factor because it would be too unfair) DB mogs the everliving shit out of everything published in Jump for the last 10 years EASILY.
Like have you seen One Piece's art lately(since post-TS more like it)? That shit is unreadable.
HxH which gets barely published at all still manages to sell 1+ million copies per volume easily whereas pretty much all of these other new series barring a few exceptions struggle to achieve that number in a consistent basis despite probably trying a million times more.

I dunno if I would word it exactly like this but it is also not wrong.

I don’t quite understand this bizarre trend of fans saying Dragon Ball wouldn’t hold up to modern shonen anime and then simp over unwatchable garbage like My Hero Academia in the same breath.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm

I don't find MHA to be unwatchable garbage, but I also wouldn't put it in the same league as DB/DBZ. Any of it, for that matter. Granted, it's still ongoing.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:41 pm Bleach and Burn the Witch
Lol what is this 2010? Nobody cares about Bleach or Kubo's new series.
People would rather read Togashi's napkin scribbles.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:09 pm
I don’t quite understand this bizarre trend of fans saying Dragon Ball wouldn’t hold up to modern shonen anime and then simp over unwatchable garbage like My Hero Academia in the same breath.
HeroAca in the first place is like some sort of Naruto ripoff mixed with that awful calarts style of the 2010s.
It's less popular in Japan than in the US due to the superhero theme of it.

In any case it's an extremely ridiculous claim to make in so many ways. 6.5+ million people were buying Jump every week to read DB(of course there were other great series but DB was the top draw and DB had to compete with those same great series as well so it had to earn its spot and in many ways also paved the way for a bunch of these series).
Compare this to the 1.4 million(or even less) or something of Jump's current weekly circulation, it's not even a comparison.
HeroAca, Black Clover even Kimetsu(which was a rare fluke massive success due to the anime) etc. would probably never even be published back in Jump back then and would have to settle for some third-rate magazine instead.

Jump is just another manga magazine now. Yes it's still the top selling magazine but not by much. It doesn't have the huge quasi-monoculture influence it used to have.
If the original DB manga were to be published in today's Jump the magazine would easily be worth the price of admission for it alone even if it was just 15 pages a week.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:59 pm

damn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:41 pm Bleach and Burn the Witch
Lol what is this 2010? Nobody cares about Bleach or Kubo's new series.
People would rather read Togashi's napkin scribbles.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:09 pm
HeroAca in the first place is like some sort of Naruto ripoff mixed with that awful calarts style of the 2010s.
It's less popular in Japan than in the US due to the superhero theme of it.

In any case it's an extremely ridiculous claim to make in so many ways. 6.5+ million people were buying Jump every week to read DB(of course there were other great series but DB was the top draw and DB had to compete with those same great series as well so it had to earn its spot and in many ways also paved the way for a bunch of these series).
Compare this to the 1.4 million(or even less) or something of Jump's current weekly circulation, it's not even a comparison.
HeroAca, Black Clover even Kimetsu(which was a rare fluke massive success due to the anime) etc. would probably never even be published back in Jump back then and would have to settle for some third-rate magazine instead.

Jump is just another manga magazine now. Yes it's still the top selling magazine but not by much. It doesn't have the huge quasi-monoculture influence it used to have.
If the original DB manga were to be published in today's Jump the magazine would easily be worth the price of admission for it alone even if it was just 15 pages a week.
I do and I'm important to me.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 pm
But are they apathetic towards making money? Perhaps the reason they don't put much into DB is because it is historically not a draw for them.
I'm sure OG Dragon Ball sells better than the average anime on physical media, which Funimation has no problem releasing. Maybe not exponentially better like Z and Super, but I imagine both series have given Funimation unrealistic expectations for what anything with the brand name in the title should sell, which isn't right because anything should get a release if it can, not only break even, but turn a decent profit, which I'd be shocked if OG Dragon Ball didn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 pm

I'm sure OG Dragon Ball sells better than the average anime on physical media, which Funimation has no problem releasing. Maybe not exponentially better like Z and Super, but I imagine both series have given Funimation unrealistic expectations for what anything with the brand name in the title should sell, which isn't right because anything should get a release if it can, not only break even, but turn a decent profit, which I'd be shocked if OG Dragon Ball didn't.
I'm sure it turns some profit but not huge an not enough to put much focus on a release of a niche w/in a niche.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 am

Who tf revived this year old thread
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 am

Bleach anime is going to return and as for Burn the Witch that is the first time hearing that name. I have to check it out.

There might be news about Bleach on December.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am

damn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm

There was no good reason to revive a thread that had been inactive for over a year, especially not to just post vitriolic and antagonistic nonsense like this. Keep it to yourself next time.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!