DB is not better than DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: DB is not better than DBZ

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:20 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:33 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:17 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:10 pmPeople often saying Dragon Ball "isn't as popular" in the U.S., but the main reason is likely that it didn't get the same push due to not being quite as action-oriented.
Of course it's not as popular, Funimation did everything in its power to make sure of that. Japan unfortunately aren't innocent either, as even before Kai they were pushing Z as the main product, such as with the dragon boxes.
They didn't intentionally try to make something less popular.
They kinda did. They tried to bring Dragon Ball to the states once, it failed (through no fault of its own), and they just give up on it. They only bothered with it again when DBZ was at the peak of its popularity in North America.

Although DB is not as popular in Japan as DBZ, it's remembered more fondly.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:25 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:20 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:33 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Of course it's not as popular, Funimation did everything in its power to make sure of that. Japan unfortunately aren't innocent either, as even before Kai they were pushing Z as the main product, such as with the dragon boxes.
They didn't intentionally try to make something less popular.
They kinda did. They tried to bring Dragon Ball to the states once, it failed (through no fault of its own), and they just give up on it. They only bothered with it again when DBZ was at the peak of its popularity in North America.

Although DB is not as popular in Japan as DBZ, it's remembered more fondly.
Yes, there was also of course five or six years prior to that (and thus well before FUNimation even existed) Harmony Gold's short lived test run of DB in 1989/1990 which didn't make much headway either.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:02 pm

That's not even kind of. That's just them being impatient. I don't see why anyone even an irrational person would INTENTIONALLY make something less popular. It would be like saying "No, I don't want your money, willing customer."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:02 pm That's not even kind of. That's just them being impatient. I don't see why anyone even an irrational person would INTENTIONALLY make something less popular. It would be like saying "No, I don't want your money, willing customer."
Weeeellll we still don't have OG Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes in the US and likely won't. I get that they're for hardcore fans, but many would gladly throw money at that, yet it's unlikely to ever happen.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:02 pm That's not even kind of. That's just them being impatient. I don't see why anyone even an irrational person would INTENTIONALLY make something less popular. It would be like saying "No, I don't want your money, willing customer."
Weeeellll we still don't have OG Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes in the US and likely won't. I get that they're for hardcore fans, but many would gladly throw money at that, yet it's unlikely to ever happen.
Sure, but enough to cover the production and distribution costs?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 pmSure, but enough to cover the production and distribution costs?
No one's asking them to put the entire show out at once, just start with one box set and move on from there, just as they'd do with any series. Despite not being as popular as Z, it still holds the "Dragon Ball" name, so it'd sell. There's also the fact that it can be released in Dragon Box form or on Blu ray in 3-4 sets, so it's not like they'd be asking people for a long commitment.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm glad that it was split into two different anime series. I like the sense of a new beginning that comes with it.

I don't like how it is viewed in the US, but maybe in the future with everything streaming the fans will gradually realize where the series actually begins. The further time moves away from the old television airings the more likely it will become.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 pmSure, but enough to cover the production and distribution costs?
No one's asking them to put the entire show out at once, just start with one box set and move on from there, just as they'd do with any series. Despite not being as popular as Z, it still holds the "Dragon Ball" name, so it'd sell. There's also the fact that it can be released in Dragon Box form or on Blu ray in 3-4 sets, so it's not like they'd be asking people for a long commitment.
All at once or in 4, it doesn't make much of a difference. I doubt there's much of a market for DBox quality DB release. It doesn't even have the issue of making up for cropped releases. If it would sell, why don't they sell it? I just don't buy this idea that FUNi wouldn't put it out there even if they thought they could profit from it.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 pm

Is Naruto and it's later half Shippuden treated the same way? One Piece is still called One Piece even after it's major Character changing time skip (aka main cast grows older), probably because they knew it'd still sell well without a name shift.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 am

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pmIf it would sell, why don't they sell it? I just don't buy this idea that FUNi wouldn't put it out there even if they thought they could profit from it.
That's the problem, they don't think they can profit from it, which is false. Will it do as well as Z ? probably not, but it won't be collecting dust on a shelf either.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 pmIs Naruto and it's later half Shippuden treated the same way?
Like DB, Naruto in the manga is all under one name, but unlike DB fans, its base doesn't draw these odd lines between the 2 anime series. Both series are treated as one story.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 am

Naruto is like that because the first series was never unavailable like it was for DB. The fans were either downloading it from the beginning, watching it on television from the beginning, or streaming it from the beginning. If the timing had been different, Naruto may have met a similar fate as DB.

It reminds me that the initial working titles for DBZ included "New Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball 2". I wonder how differently things would have turned out in the fandom had either of those been the title.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 am
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pmIf it would sell, why don't they sell it? I just don't buy this idea that FUNi wouldn't put it out there even if they thought they could profit from it.
That's the problem, they don't think they can profit from it, which is false. Will it do as well as Z ? probably not, but it won't be collecting dust on a shelf either.
And you know that how? You say that with such authority as if you know for a fact that they would be profitable.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 amAnd you know that how? You say that with such authority as if you know for a fact that they would be profitable.
At this point I believe you're contradictory for the fun of it. To answer your question, it's DB, one of, if not the biggest anime franchise in the world. It may not be as successful as a 12th re-release of Z, but it won't crash and burn either.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 amAnd you know that how? You say that with such authority as if you know for a fact that they would be profitable.
At this point I believe you're contradictory for the fun of it. To answer your question, it's DB, one of, if not the biggest anime franchise in the world. It may not be as successful as a 12th re-release of Z, but it won't crash and burn either.
Yresh I definitely don't see Dragon Ball crashing and burning either. It would be nice if we could get 1 Dragon ball Dragon Box over 100 Dragon Ball Z releases.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:44 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 amYresh I definitely don't see Dragon Ball crashing and burning either. It would be nice if we could get 1 Dragon ball Dragon Box over 100 Dragon Ball Z releases.
I'd buy anything at this point, as we've been stuck with those blue sets for 11 years now. But no, we'll probably have to wait for Z to be released on 4K, VR, and whatever else they can think of before DB has even a small chance of getting ONE re-release.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:50 am

I’d honestly settle for a blue ray release of the original Dragon Ball at this point.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:50 amI’d honestly settle for a blue ray release of the original Dragon Ball at this point.
Select Vision is already releasing it on Blu-ray, using Dragon Box source no less, so they'd just have to import it and put an English track on it. You couldn't have a safer release than that.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:58 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 pm Is Naruto and it's later half Shippuden treated the same way? One Piece is still called One Piece even after it's major Character changing time skip (aka main cast grows older), probably because they knew it'd still sell well without a name shift.
Well for Japan, the Naruto anime was split into Shippuden for the same reasons when DB made the transition to DBZ- it was declining in popularity due to the direction that was taken later on.

Naruto fans don't make the distinction like DB fans do with DB and DBZ because in English-speaking regions, the first part of Naruto is still relevant in recent memory since it came first and had the right push.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 am
I kinda agree with Abed here. Especially since it's been years since original DB had any media presence.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:31 pm

The Dragon Boxes for Z were aimed at the hardcore fandom. Which tend to be the same people who do watch Dragon Ball so I don’t know if it would sell that much worse.