Dragon Ball Portugal dubbing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Portugal dubbing

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 am

Yep. We are going there...oh yeah.

So! I wanted to ask something. Because of this video right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBOYW8v9Wo

Does the Portugal dubbing team set out to make a comedy out of Dragon Ball? Or is this completely unintentional? Which I doubt. Not because I am too cool for school but rather some comments made by the dubbing team on their super facebook page.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Portugal dubbing

Post by jaisonas » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:47 am

Insert "AAAAIIIEEEEEE" and "Oh no Vegita-bros, we got too cocky" memes here
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:18 am

Um... those are funny and all, but this thread is serious about the topic.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Everything that is funny is either intentional or already on the script from the french version. This type of voices are intentionally chosen because they though it would be funny and it was at the time and it payed off until the change of cast that proved that Dragon Ball doesn't need jokes to be successful in Portugal. So answering to the question yes it was intentional.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P