DB ranked 2nd anime Japanese fans would watch forever.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

DB ranked 2nd anime Japanese fans would watch forever.

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:40 pm

As the title suggests, a site polled over 5000 Japanese fans, and DB got the 2nd most number of votes as being something they'd watch if it aired forever.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... itter_news

Do you think DB should go on forever ? if it did, would you still watch it ? With the exception of the BOG movie, I think the original manga was fine as a complete story, it didn't need to continue beyond that (GT), or be brought back 20 years later (Super).
Last edited by Matches Malone on Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DB ranked 2nd anime Japanese fans would watch forever.

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Yo, 5000 is a lot of people. Never saw Lupin but I can't be mad about it being in the first place, it's also a classic. Interesting top 5 overall, it's cool that isn't plagued with newer animes like Kimetsu no Yaiba or Fire Force which are popular nowadays and possbily forgotten in the future. I hate these trends.

As for Dragon Ball going forever, as long as there are some breaks here and there and there's interesting stories too tell, I would like it.
Not interested in going the endless route of never stop airing like Pokemon or One Piece have been going these decades.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm

I'm surprise that One Piece is not there.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pmI'm surprise that One Piece is not there.
It's probably because fans just assume it'll be around forever, and at this rate, the anime probably will be.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm Yo, 5000 is a lot of people. Never saw Lupin but I can't be mad about it being in the first place, it's also a classic. Interesting top 5 overall, it's cool that isn't plagued with newer animes like Kimetsu no Yaiba or Fire Force which are popular nowadays and possbily forgotten in the future. I hate these trends.

As for Dragon Ball going forever, as long as there are some breaks here and there and there's interesting stories too tell, I would like it.
Not interested in going the endless route of never stop airing like Pokemon or One Piece have been going these decades.
Agreed. Say whenever Super ends, if the franchise went into another long hibernation, I wouldn't mind it at all if it meant they could come back again with something great and fresh to put on the table.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pm

As much as I like Lupin, I'm a little surprised it came number one! I could think of many other anime that I'd put on that top spot

As for the question - I'm torn
I feel like it's very easy for a series to just be exploited as a cash cow, but if Dragon Ball could continue with fun and imaginative new scenarios, then I wouldn't mind it sticking around
I don't really think Super quite hit the mark, in my opinion, but who knows what the future could bring? I remain ever the optimist
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:21 am

Locust wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pmIf Dragon Ball could continue with fun and imaginative new scenarios, then I wouldn't mind it sticking around
I don't really think Super quite hit the mark, in my opinion, but who knows what the future could bring? I remain ever the optimist
If Toriyama or anyone involved has a story that'll add something to the original manga, then by all means, bring DB back for that. The issue I currently have is that most of this revival has added little to nothing to the manga, instead feeling like a tacked on addition that just relies on nostalgia.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:30 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:21 amIf Toriyama or anyone involved has a story that'll add something to the original manga, then by all means, bring DB back for that. The issue I currently have is that most of this revival has added little to nothing to the manga, instead feeling like a tacked on addition that just relies on nostalgia.
Yeah I agree - I don't think Super is the WORST it's more like, "why does this exist, really?" - other than the obvious of answer of "money"
I don't want to be quite so cynical however

I do like aspects of Super, but I just can't help but constantly feel there's a lot of missing potential
To be frank, I've read doujinshi with more interesting storylines than a lot of what is in Super
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Glad to see Lupin ranked first. I love that series so much. I will probably be checking out the new specials and shows for the rest of my life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm

I thought it meant rewatch forever, but no, it's "I want to see the series go on forever", and I don't think there's any series I would want to see that. Give me a great ending any day of the week.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:05 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pmI don't think there's any series I would want to see that. Give me a great ending any day of the week.
I completely agree, as I think any series that reaches its natural conclusion should remain as a completed work. That doesn't mean I don't think an author can come back every now and then if he or she has a story worth telling, but overall, I think the best way the industry can move ahead is by letting old series to end and allowing new ones to take their place.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:09 am

Yes, I would still watch it, since Dragon Ball is my favourite shonen. In fact, I can't wait for the Super anime to return.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm I'm surprise that One Piece is not there.
One Piece is the kind of series you quickly grow out of once you've passed the age of 13.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pmOne Piece is the kind of series you quickly grow out of once you've passed the age of 13.
I think it's more that you dropped it after 13 chapters. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm I'm surprise that One Piece is not there.
It’s already lasted forever.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:26 pm
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pmOne Piece is the kind of series you quickly grow out of once you've passed the age of 13.
I think it's more that you dropped it after 13 chapters. :lol:
Hm? One Piece is still pretty childish now. It's still just as hyperactive as it's always been if not more so.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:44 pm
It’s already lasted forever.
One Piece will continue forever. As in the future an AI will be trained to write future stories with the only need for human intervention being the editing, but even then it will slowly train itself in that field too, becoming fully autonomous. By 2040 the AI project will be able to create manga indistinguishable from human pen-work.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm

No i dont think it should go on forever nor do I really want it to. It's just not that type of series.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:29 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pmBy 2040 the AI project will be able to create manga indistinguishable from human pen-work.
The anime probably won't end until then considering how slow it's moving. To give you an idea on how bad things are, some episodes now only adapt half or a bit more of a chapter.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:29 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pmBy 2040 the AI project will be able to create manga indistinguishable from human pen-work.
The anime probably won't end until then considering how slow it's moving. To give you an idea on how bad things are, some episodes now only adapt half or a bit more of a chapter.
So like the late Frieza saga where episodes dragged out so long it was basically 1:1 chapter-to-episode ratio?