Does anyone else find it Ironic that a sizable chunk of the Dragon Ball Community Only Likes Broly Because he’s strong?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Does anyone else find it Ironic that a sizable chunk of the Dragon Ball Community Only Likes Broly Because he’s strong?

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 am

I understand that a lot of people like Dragon Ball Purely because of the fights. I get it, really. But I just find it Ironic that a good chunk of the community only like the new Broly or the same reasons Paragus forced him to get strong.

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Does anyone else find it Ironic that a sizable chunk of the Dragon Ball Community Only Likes Broly Because he’s stro

Post by Yosheets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 am

Yes. Broly doesn't have that much character, otherwise. That's why they remade his backstory in Super. Funny thing is, I think some fans prefer the old Broly over the new one.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Does anyone else find it Ironic that a sizable chunk of the Dragon Ball Community Only Likes Broly Because he’s stro

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 am

Yosheets wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 amFunny thing is, I think some fans prefer the old Broly over the new one.
It's not funny at all, considering he's not much different, and if anything, he's actually better.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 am

Dragon Ball was never known for having deep and complex villains lol, so it's not ironic at all.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:26 am

Funny then that very few people like Jiren despite him being strong.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:43 am

The same community that brings "Goku is the strongest", "but can he beat Goku" troope in every discussion or argument. Or bringing up Beerus, Whis, Zeno when it comes to contest of strength

DBZ is shounen. Transcended from martial arts into hyper powerful champions with universal scale threats & fighters. So it's natural for it's fanbase to gravitate towards the strongest or powerful characters such as Broly

The fact he is associated with Legendary Super Saiyan form, muscular design, barbaric fighting style is an added boost to bring him up in any debate or argument. The fact I liked his backstory is unrelated to this topic, but what DBS accomplished is ultimately more harm than good. Again, my opinion

There's a section of fanbase liked DBS Broly, his backstory, his relationship whatnot. I personally didn't. But most offending factor was the power scale.

M8 & M10 Broly has an upper limit range. And entirely plausible, widely accepted over last 10-15 years in various forum, sites, discussion. Like M8 Broly isnt touching beyond SSJ2. Or M10 Broly isn't touching Majin Boo

But DBS Broly flat out toyed with God-state Goku/Vegeta in his Base form. And it required Fusion, Bluper Gogeta to wear him down...talk abt ridiculous overpowering😏

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:27 am

His new backstory is cliched.

I think Broly being a wrecking machine is a big reason for his popularity but so is his design. Don't underestimate the value of good design.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:26 am Funny then that very few people like Jiren despite him being strong.
Jiren does have a character, it's just that the Dragon Ball fans have the memory of a gold fish so they forgot the character development that happend at the end of the tournament, just like they are forgetting that goku loves his family.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am

I like Old Broly's battling style. It was unique for a DB character, and expressive. That's why I'm disappointed new Broly was basically Oozaru-wild with no distinct style of his own, just spamming blasts left and right (and literally from his mouth).

For example his smooth moves when he avoided Piccolo and Goku's assault while standing on the tower. That's what is missing to me in new Broly.

His one-liners were also top tier, and it is a shame the new one cannot speak after transforming.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:50 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am I like Old Broly's battling style. It was unique for a DB character, and expressive. That's why I'm disappointed new Broly was basically Oozaru-wild with no distinct style of his own, just spamming blasts left and right (and literally from his mouth).

For example his smooth moves when he avoided Piccolo and Goku's assault while standing on the tower. That's what is missing to me in new Broly.

His one-liners were also top tier, and it is a shame the new one cannot speak after transforming.
And some wud say Broly only has one line in Z screaming only "Kakarot"😏

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 amJiren does have a character, it's just that the Dragon Ball fans have the memory of a gold fish so they forgot the character development that happend at the end of the tournament.
At that point it was too little too late. With an arc as long as the TOP, why wait so long to tell people about your main antagonist ? Before those final 2-3 episodes, Jiren was a 0 personality brick wall who's only characteristic was being super strong. He didn't have a memorable design, he didn't have memorable moves, he didn't have special interactions with his team, etc. Even with the backstory, it still didn't make up for what I just mentioned.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 amJiren does have a character, it's just that the Dragon Ball fans have the memory of a gold fish so they forgot the character development that happend at the end of the tournament.
At that point it was too little too late. With an arc as long as the TOP, why wait so long to tell people about your main antagonist ? Before those final 2-3 episodes, Jiren was a 0 personality brick wall who's only characteristic was being super strong. He didn't have a memorable design, he didn't have memorable moves, he didn't have special interactions with his team, etc. Even with the backstory, it still didn't make up for what I just mentioned.
Because it was the end fight, Jiren was alone just like he was in the past so it made sense narratively imo.

He had the eye technique( that's it:lol: ) but Jiren was mostly a boxer and i like that because i mostly want to see hand to hand combat not all this magic shit that Moro did in the beginning, and the reason he did not talk much to his teammates is because he is not good at creating a bond, he said that to Toppo at the end and we now why.

i personally like Jiren's design but that's just me.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 amBecause it was the end fight, Jiren was alone just like he was in the past so it made sense narratively imo.
It makes sense for the heroes to find out about it late, but not the viewers. The problem with waiting that long is that it gives us the viewers no reason at all to care or support Jiren, which isn't a good thing considering how long the arc is and how important he is.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Thats how it is with a lot of the fanbase.

"Weak" = bad character.
"Strong" = amazing character.

Look at how they treat SS2 Cell Games Gohan compared to Buu Saga Gohan (pre Ultimate).

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 amBecause it was the end fight, Jiren was alone just like he was in the past so it made sense narratively imo.
It makes sense for the heroes to find out about it late, but not the viewers. The problem with waiting that long is that it gives us the viewers no reason at all to care or support Jiren, which isn't a good thing considering how long the arc is and how important he is.
But we were not supposed to support the other universes , only universe 7 and 6 because we know them. Jiren's role was to be a person that lost everything vs a person that has everything, Jiren is strong because he has no friends and Goku is strong because he has friends, a battle of ideology, do you trust your friends or is it better to only have trust in yourself.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 pmBut we were not supposed to support the other universes.
This is where the arc completely fails. The idea is that all 7 universes are innocent, and are trying to survive and protect their loved ones just as much as Universe 7 is doing. The problem is they give us little to nothing to care for them. When a universe is erased, it's presented as a sad moment, yet everything leading up to that is the complete opposite, most of the fighters are unlikable characters who come off as nobodies who have nothing to lose. This is the kind of arc that needs multiple arcs of build up to get to know each of these universes, so we actually care about them when they're all forced to fight against each other.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:52 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:27 am His new backstory is cliched.

I think Broly being a wrecking machine is a big reason for his popularity but so is his design. Don't underestimate the value of good design.
Broly's old design is basically a bicep with legs. And yeah I can appreciate it for how over the top and impractical it is. :lol:

For me what makes it even better is that in Z Goku would tell Gohan that gaining strength through sheer muscle mass and bulking up would slow you down, ironically making you worse off than before.Yet in M8 Broly in full beefcake mode is as flexable as a noodle and can still wail on everybody with ease.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:23 pm

DBZ Broly pre-transformation barely counts as a character, he exists solely as a vessel to compare his abnormal transformed state, and his transformed state, while interesting, is essentially just sadistic Freeza but crazy. Him being so close behaviorally to Freeza and having some amount of character in his transformed state tied together with the "Legendary Super Saiyan" aspect is probably what led to his enduring popularity.

DBS Broly exists in a mirrored way where his pre-transformation has character and motivation and his transformed state lacks both.

I would argue that DBZ Broly is disliked because of his weak character pre-transformation and liked for his transformed state solely because it adds personality to his character not because of his strength, whereas DBS Broly is disliked for his transformed state giving up any personality he had while his normal self is liked more for the personality, character, and potential for growth of both since he isn't sadistic, crazy DBZ Broly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:12 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 pmBut we were not supposed to support the other universes.
This is where the arc completely fails. The idea is that all 7 universes are innocent, and are trying to survive and protect their loved ones just as much as Universe 7 is doing. The problem is they give us little to nothing to care for them. When a universe is erased, it's presented as a sad moment, yet everything leading up to that is the complete opposite, most of the fighters are unlikable characters who come off as nobodies who have nothing to lose. This is the kind of arc that needs multiple arcs of build up to get to know each of these universes, so we actually care about them when they're all forced to fight against each other.
While I agree with the first part about not caring about the other 7 universes as much, by the end, I did care about a number of the combatants because we spent time with them over the course of the arc. Sometimes it's enough to just see a fighter do something cool. If they do something cool, that's time well spent. I don't think we need to spend time with the characters prior to the arc to come to care about them during it.

We don't need to find out about a character's backstory to care. It makes sense that Jiren wouldn't tell anyone including the audience because there's no reason to do so. We know why they are all fighting. Their motivations are all crystal clear.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 pm

I kinda "blame" games for that, since fanmade DBZ Mugen 2 from 2000, Broly was shown as overpowered Goro/Shao Kahn level of cheap.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015