Where can Saiyan transformations go from here?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Where can Saiyan transformations go from here?

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm

Golden SS4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 pmThey did that with SS4. I say just make SS4 canon and call it a day. They did it with Broly.
Ssj4 will definitely become canon, but there's no way they'll stop at that. This franchise lives and dies by its Saiyan transformations, so as long as it continues, so will the number of forms.

Golden SS4

Post by Golden SS4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm
Golden SS4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 pmThey did that with SS4. I say just make SS4 canon and call it a day. They did it with Broly.
Ssj4 will definitely become canon, but there's no way they'll stop at that. This franchise lives and dies by its Saiyan transformations, so as long as it continues, so will the number of forms.
I meant the one from GT that looks like a monkey man.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Golden SS4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm I meant the one from GT that looks like a monkey man.
I know, I'm just saying they won't stop at that. They'll probably have that be its own class with its own new forms.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 pm

The way Super has been going, we’ll get green purple and orange and then the ultimate form will be rainbow.

Even the “Limit Break FPSSJ4” is just that form with reddish hair going by the art. So following that path we’ll get different color variations of SSJ4 as well, bringing us full circle back to the original Super Saiyan 5 drawing.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 pm Basically, a new transformation at this point should cause at least a few of the already existing transformations to become obsolete, similarly to how Grade 2 and Grade 3 have been made obsolete.
But as far as to what they can actually do to create new forms if they need/want to, there's plenty of elements out there they can use. Create a semi-SS4 form (like Broly's rage form but a step further), then combine it with the various SSes, or create a combination between UI and SS somehow, or invent a new kind of god ki (angel ki or something) to create new SSG and SSGSS forms... and there's always Calvo... and there's always the rest of the colour wheel, allowing for an orange form, a violet form, an indigo form... Sky's the limit when you don't care about quality.
Yeah I swear in Super the only forms that matter are SS1, God, Blue and UI. All the other forms might get a small cameo if you're lucky. I wonder if Vegeta will ever get the ability to use UI. If he ever can, UI Vegito could be real, and i'll admit that sounds kind of cool in an over the top way.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Golden SS4

Post by Golden SS4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 pm The way Super has been going, we’ll get green purple and orange and then the ultimate form will be rainbow.

Even the “Limit Break FPSSJ4” is just that form with reddish hair going by the art. So following that path we’ll get different color variations of SSJ4 as well, bringing us full circle back to the original Super Saiyan 5 drawing.
what limit break fpssj4

Golden SS4

Post by Golden SS4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:51 pm

I like these concepts for SSJ + UI

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm

Yeah those don’t look that bad. Here’s another great example from artist Salvamakoto:
I don’t think they will mix up UI with Super Saiyan, though, and I feel like if that ever happened it would just be Super Saiyan White.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:18 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:00 pmI wonder if Vegeta will ever get the ability to use UI. If he ever can, UI Vegito could be real, and i'll admit that sounds kind of cool in an over the top way.
It doesn't seem like Vegeta is taking the UI road, but instead doing his own thing. With that said, Goku having that ability is enough for a fusion between them to use it.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Golden SS4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:13 pm They could always just go more ape-like.

Like maybe one stage results in fangs. Then the next stage results in red eyes. Then next maybe they fight completely naked. Then the fur, then the tail, then so on. I would also bring in different fur colors like green or purple or whatever at some point.

Maybe also give them special abilities exclusive to the monkey forms. Like the power of suggestion or some kind of hypnosis. Or the ability to turn into stone or water, or maybe shapeshift into people from out of somebody's memories or something. Just play into the whole monkey-horror vibe and make it weird and disturbing type shit.

I suppose they could also bring back the Oozaru transformations at some point in order to face giant-sized opponents and so forth.
They did that with SS4. I say just make SS4 canon and call it a day. They did it with Broly.
I'm not thinking so much SS4 as I am something largely different. Like, make the transformations more gradual. Let them fight naked. And then eventually they become more ape-like. With SS4 they still looked human. Their faces didn't change, they wore pants, etc. Just let them be apes.

Also, give them special ape powers like the ability to follow their enemies into their dreams and shit.

Golden SS4

Post by Golden SS4 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:42 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm Yeah those don’t look that bad. Here’s another great example from artist Salvamakoto:
I don’t think they will mix up UI with Super Saiyan, though, and I feel like if that ever happened it would just be Super Saiyan White.
even better thanks

but super saiyan white? no thanks

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 pm

I want them to condition their bodies almost instantly through transformation. There was Super Vegeta and Trunks's line of muscular growth, so now there should be a thinning and toning path, or a fat and soft looking body appearance. To grow from Beerus's physique to Pure Evil Boo's or Champa's flat body to the fat Majin Boo one for example.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:21 am

SSJ-perfect Form

SSJ2-Should have been Gohan exclusive it doesn’t
bother me on Goku or Vegeta it doesn’t excite me either

SSJ3-easily the worst Form

SSJ4-What SS3 should have been

SSG:minimalism at it’s best From here on it should be stopped

SSGSS:unnecessary

UI:Should have been just a technique without a Colour change for SSG Goku

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 am

As long as new Saiyan transformation designs are more like SSJ4 and not just recolors then I dont mind.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:21 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:57 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:46 amIf the choice is following the next gen or keeping the story that's spinning its wheels going, I'll pick the latter every time because at least it's more honest. It doesn't give the appearance of moving forward.
I don't know how a next gen show (with heavy presence from the old gen) is anything but moving forward.
It's pretending to move forward when it's going back to an earlier point of a fighter's development. We've already seen it with the older generation. No need to see it again.
I get this from a regular story standpoint. Like how many times is Goku gonna have to learn to move more efficiently, right? However, from a martial arts standpoint this stuff happens all the time. For example, a Rear Naked Choke is something thsts probably existed since the dawn of time. There really wasnt much more that could be done with it.

Then, just earlier this year, a Jiu Jitsu coach taught me the new way people are doing the RNC and it totally blew my mind! I had always had trouble doing it the old way and then, with just a little tweak to the movement someone discovered that it becomes 1000x more effective while using a lot less energy.

Yeah, Goku learned efficient use of energy with Kami, then he figured out a better way on the way to Namek that everyone adopted by the Android Arc, then helped Gohan figure it out in the RoSaT, then learned it again under Whis, then learned it AGAIN under Merus! But it totally makes sense to me personally considering how actual martial arts training works.

So, if Goku goes Super Saiyan while doing Ultra Instinct and it makes SSUISS or some nonsense, I'm gonna be along for the ride like it makes complete sense. I won't blame anyone else who's tired of it from throwing their hands up and walking away, though, because I doubt they're intentionally making it make sense from a martial arts standpoint. They're just doing the same Kung Fu story over and over again and it just happens to make sense from where I'm sitting.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:16 am

Kaboom wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:48 am If the best that even Toriyama can come up with anymore are cheap, lazy, unoriginal recolors of past forms, then I hope this is the end of new ones for a very long time. I'm fairly convinced that Toriyama used up the last of his form-designing creative juices with Super Saiyan God, since that was the last one that was in any way unique or impressive.
I half agree, but on the other hand, I wish both Goku and Vegeta would get a new form to replace Blue purely because I don't like that form visually.

I remember being disappointed with BOG seemingly setting up Super Saiyan 1 as Goku's strongest form again, thinking it was a step backward to write out the later transformations into something more iconic. But I'd probably take that over "it's Super Saiyan 1 but with an awful Blue colour".
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:16 am

My theory for SSJB is that Toriyama was inspired by the recolored fanmade forms. Fans sometimes try to give cool sounding names to make them appear more creative but Toriyama wanted to subvert expectations by giving a straightforward name that just describes what it is. Well it only subverts expectations if you're familiar with these fanmade forms since you would expect a fancier title.

The original name, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, could also have been meant as like a self-parody. He's acknowledging that he's had so many transformations that all he has left is stacking two existing forms on top of each other. It's similar to SSJ4 that combined SSJ with Oozaru except SSJB goes the complete opposite route in design. It could make sense because the transformation he came up with after SSJB was UI which isn't a SSJ form at all.

I know it's an unlikely theory but Toyotaro and DragonGarrowLee were once authors of fan mangas so who knows how many Shuiesha went through before discovering them. Plus, there are many bootleg recolored action figures that probably existed before fans were making them online.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22 am

Skar wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:16 amMy theory for SSJB is that Toriyama was inspired by the recolored fanmade forms. Fans sometimes try to give cool sounding names to make them appear more creative but Toriyama wanted to subvert expectations by giving a straightforward name that just describes what it is. Well it only subverts expectations if you're familiar with these fanmade forms since you would expect a fancier title.
The biggest issue I have with Blue is that it replaces a form (SsjG) that was actually unique, and one that barely got to shine. To this day I don't understand why Toriyama introduced a new form so soon. Wouldn't Freeza getting his Golden form and Vegeta getting SsjG be enough for marketing ?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:53 am

I can't imagine what the next form could be like, but I know it's going to be a while before we get it anyway.
Right now, Ultra Instinct still has to be mastered and used quite a lot before the next step shows up.

The only thing I regret is that the superb Super Saiyan Blue hasn't taken the place of the regular Super Saiyan.
Back then, at the time of the movie, I really understood it as the way Super Saiyan simply became after Whis' training had made the God energy "settle for good" in Goku's body.

I thought basically, Goku's human energy had been replaced with God energy inside his body, resulting in the Super Saiyan form having blue hair for good in modern days, and being more powerful than every form prior to this, of course.

Even when the chapter showing Goku turning Super Saiyan against Frost was published, I simply believed "nah, it can't be the old Super Saiyan, it's just that since only the blue form exists now, there's no point in darkening the hair in the drawings to make a difference anymore, that's why it's all white in those manga pages, but he's obviously blue-only for good now."
Of course, I was swiftly proven wrong with the rest of the tournament, both in manga and anime forms.

It's no big deal, but I definately would have liked the old Super Saiyan to be the go-to form symbolizing Z while Super would have turned a page and simply kept the new blue form as the "Super Saiyan" form, still named the same but having evolved for the modern days and the new "God level" of events and characters around.
The Kame Sen outfit and golden hair would have been old news from the 90s while the new next-gen up-to-date refreshed DB would have showed the Whis outfit and blue hair, clearly marking the renewal and "new era" of Dragon Ball.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22 amThe biggest issue I have with Blue is that it replaces a form (SsjG) that was actually unique, and one that barely got to shine. To this day I don't understand why Toriyama introduced a new form so soon. Wouldn't Freeza getting his Golden form and Vegeta getting SsjG be enough for marketing ?
At the time, Goku absorbed the power of SSJG so Toriyama might not have intended for him to use it again. I guess he thought SSJ was too iconic to leave behind and brought it back with a new hair color to differentiate it. He seemed to have changed his mind since all the previous forms returned including SSJG after RoF. I never liked SSJBlue and I hope Goku masters Omen so we won't see it as often.