Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thisonedinosaur

Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Post by Thisonedinosaur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Seriously this happens on both the Cell and Buu arcs.

He spends the whole Cell arc either being apathetic or beating up Future Trunks.

He punches him when he Trunks tries to stop him from charging his death,tells him to his face he would not care if his wife and kid died(and he backs it up by even looking their way when DrGero attacked them)then spends 1 year in the Rosat ignoring Trunks(1 whole year ignoring his son in a dimension with just the 2 of them)then not only lets Cell become Perfect but sides with him and beats up Trunks(AGAIN).

Of course that leads to his son getting killed later and apparently he cares about him now?

Then once Goku is killed,he swears to never fight again........

Or so you thought,he seems to come out of this supposed 'retirement' to beat up an out of shape teenager(since he did not know Goku would enter yet).Thats the closet thing to a good person moment Vegeta had before his death against Buu,being a petty person.

Then a few events later he is mind controlled by Babidi.....expect not really he willingly did so he could get a power boost so he could get even with a dead person?Of course this carrot had much more important business than his mid life crisis so to convince him Vegeta kills a bunch of people by throwing a ki blast on the same stadium his wife was on.

Then an offscreen fight later after helping Buu revive and he suddenly realises he cares about his family(AGAIN).

If him doing an 180 after spending whole arcs being Freeza2 was not enough,its also amazing how much the narrative bends over so nobody has an issue with him,even those characters that should.

After reviving and being teleported to Earth,he brags about how he killed those Namekians that did not revive and Bulma invites him to stay on her house along with the other Namekians.

Piccolo after fusing with Kami,not only does nothing to kill him but he even warns him about Cell so he would not get killed.....

Yeah the same guy that promised to kill him after Freeza,the same guy that would not even help him against Freeza and 18 because he couldn't care less about him,now suddenly cares about his well being.

Krillin sees him help Cell absorb 18,beat up Trunks,yet he still carries to safety after Perfect Cell knocked him out.The same Krillin that was looking for a chance to betray him in the previous arc.

As for Future Trunks,no matter how much you can drag the excuse Daddy Issues on him,you still cannot justify him caring about a father he never met before and treats him like absolute garbage,even his mother told him Vegeta would go to hell.

Speaking of Bulma he not only banged him but was fine with him beating up Trunks,helping the main villain twice and killing a lot of people before her eyes.And from how she interacted with Trunks,it was clear he cared about him but nope nothing.

Nobody has an issue with him but Tien,the one person thats so irrelevant his opinion does not matter sadly.

But by far whats most impressive is how he suffers no consequences for any of these things,and no him getting his ass kicked does not count since everybody gets their ass kicked,Vegeta even choosed how to die the 2nd time.

He spents like a few hours in hell at most while watching those that are alive somehow so its even doubtfull if he even went to hell begin with and he is declared a good person a few hours after he killed people with a smile on his face.

He spends the whole time being this unapologetic self serving manchild who kills people either for fun and for the pettiest reasons and the narrative rewards him for it.

But hey why have Vegeta have actual character development when you pull a 'He cares for his family' excuse while using Piccolo as your mouthpiece saying how he changed(seriously Toriyama did this in both the Cell and Buu arcs).

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm

...So, the real solution, as far as you're concerned, would have been for Vegeta to go to Hell and stay there; is that what you're saying? This would've been your ideal outcome for the story being told?

While your post specifies the original manga, it does also bear repeating that the Dragon Ball Super manga continues to develop Vegeta's character and specifically references both attempts to make amends (with regard to the Namekians specifically), and Vegeta's own opinion that despite his general change of heart, he expects still to find himself in Hell.

So, Vegeta agrees with you, at least.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vegeta spents most of the time being a douchebag in the orginal manga,does a 180 and never suffers for his crimes

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Does getting beaten to near death and actually dying several times not count as suffering?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Thisonedinosaur

Post by Thisonedinosaur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm ...So, the real solution, as far as you're concerned, would have been for Vegeta to go to Hell and stay there; is that what you're saying? This would've been your ideal outcome for the story being told?
There are lot of better outcomes for the story,like having Vegeta not help 2 main villains so his redemption to feel more natural.

Have him care for his family in situations that is not setup for him to have a forced development,so he does not spent the whole arc acting like Freeza and having only out of nowhere event in which he cares come right after it.

Or even his actions having some kind of consequences,ANY please.And i mean to him,not Vegeta screwing up and the others being forced to deal with his mistakes.Even dying to Buu was his own choice,he is the only one in the Buu arc who got a respectfull death despite his crimes,so he even got rewarded for it.

Also lets be honest its not like he did not deserve to go to Hell anyways.
While your post specifies the original manga, it does also bear repeating that the Dragon Ball Super manga continues to develop Vegeta's character and specifically references both attempts to make amends (with regard to the Namekians specifically), and Vegeta's own opinion that despite his general change of heart, he expects still to find himself in Hell.

I was talking about the original manga because thats how Toriyama wrote him.

In Toyotaro's version the Namekians already forgave Vegeta and Vegeta believing he would got hell is something since Porunga already declared him as a good person,a few hours after he killed people with a smile on his face.

Also while Vegeta feeling regretfull is a nice improvement from the original,that does not change that nothing will come out of it.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm Does getting beaten to near death and actually dying several times not count as suffering?
That happens to almost everybody in the series?Even to those that mind their own business like those humans Vegeta killed in the stadium,those died twice in the same day thanks to him.

Its Vegeta's own fault that happens to him anyways,he is the one triggering those events.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Thisonedinosaur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm

That happens to almost everybody in the series?Even to those that mind their own business like those humans Vegeta killed in the stadium,those died twice in the same day thanks to him.

Its Vegeta's own fault that happens to him anyways,he is the one triggering those events.
Is Vegeta getting his ass kicked due to sheer hubris not a textbook case of karma and retribution now? :eh:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Thisonedinosaur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm There are lot of better outcomes for the story,like having Vegeta not help 2 main villains so his redemption to feel more natural.
Well, Vegeta isn't a device for resolving plotlines - he's a character, and for most of the series, an evil one; so it's hardly surprising that he acts in ways that you and I find highly objectionable. After all, he does come from a species that loves nothing better than fighting and killing others. His sensibilities are not your sensibilities. He's an alien.

(and on that note, I think this thread beckons you...)
Thisonedinosaur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pmOr even his actions having some kind of consequences,ANY please.And i mean to him,not Vegeta screwing up and the others being forced to deal with his mistakes.Even dying to Buu was his own choice,he is the only one in the Buu arc who got a respectfull death despite his crimes,so he even got rewarded for it.
Well, from Vegeta's perspective, he probably has suffered - marooned on a backwards dustball for over a decade, full of people he'd rather kill than live with, having it repeatedly shoved in his face that he's inadequate (mostly by the person he'd like to kill most of all, if he could), and then eventually losing his sense of self to the point that he makes a "deal with the devil". It's suffering, by his own lights.

Don't misunderstand me - I don't want you to sympathise with Vegeta. I don't think he'd want to be sympathised with, either. But the things that make him suffer most of all are the same things that make him act the way he does.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Did he even get called out by anyone for what he did in the Cell saga? You'd think at least Bulma would go there and tell him "Hey, you idiot, are you happy now? Was it worth it? We're all in danger now all because of your stupid ego!"

God I hated Cell saga Vegeta so much and the Vegebul pairing (in Z at least, they're fun in Super).

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm

If I remember right I don't think Vegeta ever went to Hell. I recall Yema saying something along the lines of "If this were any other time, i'd send you right to Hell, but because of the Buu situation, I need you to go back and fight again.".
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:56 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm If I remember right I don't think Vegeta ever went to Hell. I recall Yema saying something along the lines of "If this were any other time, i'd send you right to Hell, but because of the Buu situation, I need you to go back and fight again.".
In the manga, I believe Enma comments that he'd kept Vegeta's spirit intact as a 'just in case' measure. I think that implies he'd already been judged, at least.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Vegeta suffers consistently throughout the story, as a result of his lifestyle, combined with his personality and outlook on life.

Despite the constant bluster about his pride in his heritage, he transparently lacks any and all internal sources of self-esteem. He certainly isn't satisfied knowing, himself, that "the Saiyans are such and such"; he is, at every turn, pathologically-committed to proving it. As such, he has incredibly thin skin, and is eager for and quick to violence, as a cheap shortcut to earn self-respect. He likes to hurt others to prove (to himself) that he's big. He has a naked "Will to Power", and so reaps constantly. Finally, he has such a myopic view of the world he inhabits (a view which revolves around proving, against all reason and consequences, that he does deserve praise!), that he is always surprised when he sows.

Dragon Ball uses Buddhist cosmology, which uses Hindu cosmology. In the Boo arc, God simply gave Vegeta a small primer:

He's accumulated enough karma in this life, that his soul is now so heavy, that its liberation from saṃsāra has been BIG TIME set back. Live a bad life, your next life is worse. Live an awful life, your next life is way worse.

My man's getting reincarnated as a dung beetle, next. Bet.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:25 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm Did he even get called out by anyone for what he did in the Cell saga? You'd think at least Bulma would go there and tell him "Hey, you idiot, are you happy now? Was it worth it? We're all in danger now all because of your stupid ego!"

God I hated Cell saga Vegeta so much and the Vegebul pairing (in Z at least, they're fun in Super).
Except that he did suffer for the things he's done. He was humiliated three times because of his arrogance: Freeza, Android 18, and Cell. His actions had consequences and he suffered for them. You don't need a character to tell us something the story is already doing.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Is Vegeta getting his ass kicked due to sheer hubris not a textbook case of karma and retribution now? :eh:
Ikr lol.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:06 am

Thisonedinosaur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:38 pm Seriously this happens on both the Cell and Buu arcs.

He spends the whole Cell arc either being apathetic or beating up Future Trunks.

He punches him when he Trunks tries to stop him from charging his death,tells him to his face he would not care if his wife and kid died(and he backs it up by even looking their way when DrGero attacked them)then spends 1 year in the Rosat ignoring Trunks(1 whole year ignoring his son in a dimension with just the 2 of them)then not only lets Cell become Perfect but sides with him and beats up Trunks(AGAIN).

Of course that leads to his son getting killed later and apparently he cares about him now?

Then once Goku is killed,he swears to never fight again........

Or so you thought,he seems to come out of this supposed 'retirement' to beat up an out of shape teenager(since he did not know Goku would enter yet).Thats the closet thing to a good person moment Vegeta had before his death against Buu,being a petty person.

Then a few events later he is mind controlled by Babidi.....expect not really he willingly did so he could get a power boost so he could get even with a dead person?Of course this carrot had much more important business than his mid life crisis so to convince him Vegeta kills a bunch of people by throwing a ki blast on the same stadium his wife was on.

Then an offscreen fight later after helping Buu revive and he suddenly realises he cares about his family(AGAIN).

If him doing an 180 after spending whole arcs being Freeza2 was not enough,its also amazing how much the narrative bends over so nobody has an issue with him,even those characters that should.

After reviving and being teleported to Earth,he brags about how he killed those Namekians that did not revive and Bulma invites him to stay on her house along with the other Namekians.

Piccolo after fusing with Kami,not only does nothing to kill him but he even warns him about Cell so he would not get killed.....

Yeah the same guy that promised to kill him after Freeza,the same guy that would not even help him against Freeza and 18 because he couldn't care less about him,now suddenly cares about his well being.

Krillin sees him help Cell absorb 18,beat up Trunks,yet he still carries to safety after Perfect Cell knocked him out.The same Krillin that was looking for a chance to betray him in the previous arc.

As for Future Trunks,no matter how much you can drag the excuse Daddy Issues on him,you still cannot justify him caring about a father he never met before and treats him like absolute garbage,even his mother told him Vegeta would go to hell.

Speaking of Bulma he not only banged him but was fine with him beating up Trunks,helping the main villain twice and killing a lot of people before her eyes.And from how she interacted with Trunks,it was clear he cared about him but nope nothing.

Nobody has an issue with him but Tien,the one person thats so irrelevant his opinion does not matter sadly.

But by far whats most impressive is how he suffers no consequences for any of these things,and no him getting his ass kicked does not count since everybody gets their ass kicked,Vegeta even choosed how to die the 2nd time.

He spents like a few hours in hell at most while watching those that are alive somehow so its even doubtfull if he even went to hell begin with and he is declared a good person a few hours after he killed people with a smile on his face.

He spends the whole time being this unapologetic self serving manchild who kills people either for fun and for the pettiest reasons and the narrative rewards him for it.

But hey why have Vegeta have actual character development when you pull a 'He cares for his family' excuse while using Piccolo as your mouthpiece saying how he changed(seriously Toriyama did this in both the Cell and Buu arcs).
There's so much to debunk here lol.

"Vegeta never gets punished for anything"

R u serious? This is a character that literally ALWAYS suffers immediately after doing something completely asshole-like (like letting Cell go perfect, or all of the Namekians he killed on Namek, of being 1/2 the reason Buu gets revived). Were you even paying attention to the series?

"But by far whats most impressive is how he suffers no consequences for any of these things,and no him getting his ass kicked does not count since everybody gets their ass kicked,Vegeta even choosed how to die the 2nd time."

This is a stupid argument, because Vegeta getting his ass kicked in Z is almost ALWAYS the result of him doing something dickish. Its instant karma.

"its also amazing how much the narrative bends over so nobody has an issue with him,even those characters that should."

Almost every member of the Z crew was hostle to Vegeta except Goku (after Namek), Trunks & Bulma until the 2nd half of the Buu saga. Literally all of them would act antagonistic to him up until that point, with Piccolo even flat-out telling him that he's going straight to hell. Its pure BS to say that nobody had a problem with him after joining the team.

"He spends the whole time being this unapologetic self serving manchild who kills people either for fun and for the pettiest reasons and the narrative rewards him for it."

So getting owned by every main villain and constantly getting outclassed by Goku is somehow the narrative "rewarding" Vegeta for his actions? You arent making any sense.

"But hey why have Vegeta have actual character development when you pull a 'He cares for his family' excuse while using Piccolo as your mouthpiece saying how he changed(seriously Toriyama did this in both the Cell and Buu arcs)."

Well did Piccolo do that in the Cell saga? And the point of that scene in the Buu arc was to point out how Vegeta for the 1st time was fighting not just for his own self-interest. And no, him showing care for his family and being willing to sacrifice himself IS an example of moral development from the past, you just deny it out of bias. And at no point on the Buu saga is Vegeta caring about his family ever used as an excuse for his previous actions, so what are you complaining about?

"As for Future Trunks,no matter how much you can drag the excuse Daddy Issues on him,you still cannot justify him caring about a father he never met before and treats him like absolute garbage,even his mother told him Vegeta would go to hell."

U ever heard of filal piety? Also, Future Bulma was the one who told Future Trunks about how much of great dude Vegeta was. That's why he was so obsessed with his approval.

"Thats the closet thing to a good person moment Vegeta had before his death against Buu,being a petty person."

More BS. You forgot about Vegeta was the main reason why Gohan, Krillin & Bulma survived the Namek saga (Goku even thanked him for it after burying him), or him avenging Future Trunks with his assist against SP Cell, or him spending father-son time with Kid Trunks early in the Buu arc, etc.

"Speaking of Bulma he not only banged him but was fine with him beating up Trunks,helping the main villain twice and killing a lot of people before her eyes."

She was not okay with any of that, what are you talking about?

"Krillin sees him help Cell absorb 18,beat up Trunks,yet he still carries to safety after Perfect Cell knocked him out.The same Krillin that was looking for a chance to betray him in the previous arc."

Krillin only did that for Trunks' sake, not Vegeta's (he even flat out says this to Vegeta as he's taking him away.

"Then an offscreen fight later after helping Buu revive and he suddenly realises he cares about his family(AGAIN)."

That wasn't sudden at all. If you actually paid attention to the scene, you'd know that it's Goku's words and rebuttal to Vegeta's claims about being evil again was what finally convinces him to help out against Buu. It wasn't "out of nowhere".

Seriously, your entire post comes across as that of a biased, butthurt Vegeta hater that's mad that a character you hate gets any narrative spotlight at all, using weak arguments to boot.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:10 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm Did he even get called out by anyone for what he did in the Cell saga? You'd think at least Bulma would go there and tell him "Hey, you idiot, are you happy now? Was it worth it? We're all in danger now all because of your stupid ego!"

Yes he did, by Krillin, Trunks, Piccolo, Tien and yes, Bulma too.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm ...So, the real solution, as far as you're concerned, would have been for Vegeta to go to Hell and stay there; is that what you're saying? This would've been your ideal outcome for the story being told?
There are lot of better outcomes for the story,like having Vegeta not help 2 main villains so his redemption to feel more natural.

Have him care for his family in situations that is not setup for him to have a forced development,so he does not spent the whole arc acting like Freeza and having only out of nowhere event in which he cares come right after it.

Or even his actions having some kind of consequences,ANY please.And i mean to him,not Vegeta screwing up and the others being forced to deal with his mistakes.Even dying to Buu was his own choice,he is the only one in the Buu arc who got a respectfull death despite his crimes,so he even got rewarded for it.

Also lets be honest its not like he did not deserve to go to Hell anyways.

I was talking about the original manga because thats how Toriyama wrote him.

In Toyotaro's version the Namekians already forgave Vegeta and Vegeta believing he would got hell is something since Porunga already declared him as a good person,a few hours after he killed people with a smile on his face.

Also while Vegeta feeling regretfull is a nice improvement from the original,that does not change that nothing will come out of it.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm Does getting beaten to near death and actually dying several times not count as suffering?

"Or even his actions having some kind of consequences,ANY please.And i mean to him,not Vegeta screwing up and the others being forced to deal with his mistakes"

So how is him getting owned and humilated NOT an example of him suffering the consequences of his actions? You arent making any sense.

"That happens to almost everybody in the series?"

Not for the same reasons, and not with the same results so that's a weak argument.

"Its Vegeta's own fault that happens to him anyways,he is the one triggering those events."

You just discredited your entire argument about Vegeta with this one statement lol.

And just because you dont like Vegeta doesn't mean his development was "forced" (considering how it spanned all of Z and didnt just immediately turn into a good guy in one saga), that's just your bias talking.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:07 am

There were already glimpses of Vegeta being seen as a tragic villain, which could lead to his redemption; it's not a traditional redemption in that he becomes a better/kinder person, but he does find a sense of responsibility towards his family and specifically son.

Also, I believe Vegeta was supposed to have died permanently on Namek, but Toriyama changed his mind (either by himself/persuasion from editors) and brought him back. (Not sure on this though)

Regarding accountability... maybe there could be a story where some aliens from Vegeta's past could show up and try to kill him in vengeance. But since Vegeta's the second-strongest Saiyan, it wouldn't make too much difference.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:04 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:07 am There were already glimpses of Vegeta being seen as a tragic villain, which could lead to his redemption; it's not a traditional redemption in that he becomes a better/kinder person, but he does find a sense of responsibility towards his family and specifically son.

Also, I believe Vegeta was supposed to have died permanently on Namek, but Toriyama changed his mind (either by himself/persuasion from editors) and brought him back. (Not sure on this though)

Regarding accountability... maybe there could be a story where some aliens from Vegeta's past could show up and try to kill him in vengeance. But since Vegeta's the second-strongest Saiyan, it wouldn't make too much difference.
Actually, the Saiyan saga was the saga that Vegeta was originally intended to permanently die in. He was never intended to be written off for good in any other arc.

You're right about the rest though.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 am

This is one area I always thought the old Funimation dub handled better. His turn seemed more slow and gradual, instead of him talking like a psychopath until the Buu arc.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:51 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 am This is one area I always thought the old Funimation dub handled better. His turn seemed more slow and gradual, instead of him talking like a psychopath until the Buu arc.
I can’t think of anything specific to the old Funi dub that made his turn seem slow and gradual

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:51 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 am This is one area I always thought the old Funimation dub handled better. His turn seemed more slow and gradual, instead of him talking like a psychopath until the Buu arc.
I can’t think of anything specific to the old Funi dub that made his turn seem slow and gradual
Stuff like those cheesy "Why can't I stomach this" lines during the Freeza fight and the absence of lines like "I'm pure evil."

Most of the time after the Freeza stuff it was like the writer's were trying to make him seem more like "the angry guy" instead of a straight up villain.