When to watch GT Special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

When to watch GT Special?

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Now, I am not looking for people to be like "GT sucks" or "Never! HAHAHA" I am genuinely curious of when people watch this special. I know it aired during the series, after the Baby arc, but I always watched it after the end of GT, but now think maybe that might taint the ending. What's your opinion and when do watch it?
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: When to watch GT Special?

Post by Vijay » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:54 pm

After you complete watchin GT.

Cuz you'd know what happens @ end of GT & the special is an extension of it's ending.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:58 pm

It aired between GT episodes 41 and 42, and that's where it should go. It's between arcs, so there's no break in flow, and it sets up for the events of episode 64 (the flash-forward in 64 takes place after the special), and it means episode 64 is the last thing you watch, so that perfect ending is allowed to sit on its own.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:58 pm It aired between GT episodes 41 and 42, and that's where it should go. It's between arcs, so there's no break in flow, and it sets up for the events of episode 64 (the flash-forward in 64 takes place after the special), and it means episode 64 is the last thing you watch, so that perfect ending is allowed to sit on its own.
Yeah, this was my thought. I am currenty showing my girlfriend all of Dragon Ball(we just finished the second Tenkaichi Budokai) and was just planning ahead because that special is one of my favourite bits of DB, but I also didn't want to hurt the ending. Now to deal with Super... :crazy:
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:58 pm It aired between GT episodes 41 and 42, and that's where it should go. It's between arcs, so there's no break in flow, and it sets up for the events of episode 64 (the flash-forward in 64 takes place after the special), and it means episode 64 is the last thing you watch, so that perfect ending is allowed to sit on its own.
I was going to say watch it after, but your point about 64 being the last thing you see makes a lot of sense, so I agree it should be watched after episode 40 or 41.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:08 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Yeah, this was my thought. I am currenty showing my girlfriend all of Dragon Ball(we just finished the second Tenkaichi Budokai) and was just planning ahead because that special is one of my favourite bits of DB, but I also didn't want to hurt the ending. Now to deal with Super... :crazy:
lol

TBH I'd watch GT first, then take a break, then try Super after.

GT is the much more natural follow-on after DB and Z, so it makes sense to watch the original 508 episodes before watching Super.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm

I watch the final episode of GT up to the time skip, watch the special, then the epilogue of the final episode.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm I watch the final episode of GT up to the time skip, watch the special, then the epilogue of the final episode.
I thought of that but am worried about hurting the pacing of the episode as I find it is paced very well.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:24 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pmNow to deal with Super... :crazy:
You'll be better off showing her other anime instead, as Super will be more or less a poor rehash of what she will have already seen.
SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm I thought of that but am worried about hurting the pacing of the episode as I find it is paced very well.
Just watch it after GT's 40th or 41st episode.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:57 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm I watch the final episode of GT up to the time skip, watch the special, then the epilogue of the final episode.
I thought of that but am worried about hurting the pacing of the episode as I find it is paced very well.
I get that but I find the satisfying feeling of GT's epilogue works better as an ending than the GT special. It leaves me feeling good and upbeat.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.