The meaning of ''Shunkan Idou''

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Status

The meaning of ''Shunkan Idou''

Post by Status » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Does it really just mean ''Teleportation''? Or is ''Instantaneous Movement'' more accurate?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The meaning of ''Shunkan Idou''

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm

It's not really a matter of "more accurate" or not. 瞬間移動 (shunkan-idō) as a combined word does literally mean "instantaneous movement" (瞬間 shunkan meaning like "second" or "moment" + 移動 idō meaning "movement"), but is also the general/colloquial word for "teleportation".

"Instantaneous Movement" was used by Steve Simmons for FUNimation's subtitle track. "Instant Transmission" is one of those "we-changed-it-a-little-bit-and-now-it's-our-phrase" things in FUNimation's English dub. "Instant Translocation" from the alternate UK dub is... well, that's also a thing. Viz has recently adopted "Instant Teleportation", which is a bit redundant.

"Teleportation" as a word by itself works just as fine, and is the concept that a Japanese reader/listener would think of when hearing 瞬間移動.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm "Instant Translocation" from the alternate UK dub is... well, that's also a thing.
In fairness, it's closer to the original meaning than Funi's name for it. :P

It's definitely a weird choice, though.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 pm

It all really comes down to the fct that 瞬間移動 is a perfectly standard Japanese term and not some unique construct Toriyama invented that doesn't exist outside Dragonball. It's kinda missing the point to break it down and translate it as if it's somehow not an existing word with a defined meaning and a 1:1 English equivalent.

Though this is one of those terms that seemingly gets bizarre translations everywhere, it's not just an English translation issue. Carlsen for some reason went with "Instant Teleportation"... as opposed to... delayed teleportation? What?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm "Instant Translocation" from the alternate UK dub is... well, that's also a thing.

Instant Transmission sounds like more of a telepathy thing tbh

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 pm Though this is one of those terms that seemingly gets bizarre translations everywhere, it's not just an English translation issue. Carlsen for some reason went with "Instant Teleportation"... as opposed to... delayed teleportation? What?
Goku's technique is supposed to take him wherever instantaneously, without any passage of time. I don't think that all forms of teleportation are meant to work that way. Sometimes it might take a few seconds or minutes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 pm

I’ve rarely seen an example of fiction where teleportation isn’t instantaneous.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Wasn't the exact same term used in One Piece to describe Kuma's devil fruit powers at one point?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:22 pm
Adamant wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:59 pm Though this is one of those terms that seemingly gets bizarre translations everywhere, it's not just an English translation issue. Carlsen for some reason went with "Instant Teleportation"... as opposed to... delayed teleportation? What?
Goku's technique is supposed to take him wherever instantaneously, without any passage of time. I don't think that all forms of teleportation are meant to work that way. Sometimes it might take a few seconds or minutes.
And for some strange reasons, Goku's "Shunkan Idou/Instant Transmission or Instantaneous Movement" isn't as efficient as Kibito/KibitoKai's "Kai Kai" or teleportation

Goku requires chi-locking & direction, while Kibito or KibitoKai's is literally food delivery service anywhere, anytime, any place😂

And I think maybe it's something to got to do with mortal vs Kaioshin's servant thingy

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Instant Transmission sounds like more of a telepathy thing tbh
Agreed, sounds more like a technology in Discord than a technique.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 pm I’ve rarely seen an example of fiction where teleportation isn’t instantaneous.
You ever use Fast Travel in Red Dead 2? :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:01 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:38 pm Wasn't the exact same term used in One Piece to describe Kuma's devil fruit powers at one point?
Yes.

As mentioned, it's a common Japanese term.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:42 pm

瞬間移動 (shunkan'idō) as a whole means "teleportation". You can translate it as 瞬間(shunkan/instantaneous) and 移動 (idō/movement), but why stop there? Why not 瞬 (shun/instant), 間 (kan/tele-), 移 (i/trans-), and 動 (dō/-ation)?
Instant Teletransation.

And in reverse, we could translate "teleportation", as a whole, into Japanese as 瞬間移動 (shunkan'idō), or...as "tele-" (間/kan), "port" (港/kō), and "-ation" (動/dō).
間港動 (Kankōdō)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."