Why has Toei kept the “new” movie covers?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Why has Toei kept the “new” movie covers?

Post by Aim » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:14 am

Toei as most of you know, have new designs for the dbz movies, this has been the case for a while now, but I don’t think it’s been asked; why have they kept it? They look god awful, and it’s not up to par with even today’s standards, considering the art style is also so much different from the movies design era’s, I wonder why they don’t get Shintani to make new cover designs instead, or just KEEP THE ORIGINALS, or get someone to mimic the style.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why has Toei kept the “new” movie covers?

Post by Sin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am

Who knows, presumably for the same reason some awful logo was used on the 2018 movie release.
Not quite sure what aesthetic they were going for with it all, but it just added to my disappointment with that home release.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Sin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am Who knows, presumably for the same reason some awful logo was used on the 2018 movie release.
Not quite sure what aesthetic they were going for with it all, but it just added to my disappointment with that home release.
The first time I saw those, I thought they were bootlegs.

Maaaaybe not the best design choice.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Sin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am Who knows, presumably for the same reason some awful logo was used on the 2018 movie release.
Yikes, this makes me feel queezy, is that Yamamuro?

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 pm
Yup, they were new designs from Yamamuro :crazy:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:27 am

Sin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 pm
This is starting to really annoy me, how they can keep allowing this guy to work on Dragon Ball is beyond me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Surely the logo isn't him, though?... How could any professional-level designer do THIS?

Like, maybe "DRAGONBALL MOVIES" was him, and then someone at Toei decided "hey we need to make sure it says 'movies' and 'blu-ray', so just slap it on the existing logo with some generic font and call it a day."
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:03 pm
Surely the logo isn't him, though?... How could any professional-level designer do THIS?

Like, maybe "DRAGONBALL MOVIES" was him, and then someone at Toei decided "hey we need to make sure it says 'movies' and 'blu-ray', so just slap it on the existing logo with some generic font and call it a day."
Ah no, I meant the character artwork. I'm not sure on the logo but imagine it was just whoever they tasked with putting the cover design together. The logo is definitely irredeemable too though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Sin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 pm Ah no, I meant the character artwork. I'm not sure on the logo but imagine it was just whoever they tasked with putting the cover design together. The logo is definitely irredeemable too though.
TBH, the character artwork doesn't bother me. That logo, though... Just, wow.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 pm

Broli and Super 13 look alright to me; not great or anything, but passable enough. But that Goku? :eh: :eh: :eh:

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Christ, Broli's arm looks so stiff. The muscles make so sense! Everything is so...flat and poorly shaded...ahhh! :|
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf