Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6154
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:48 pm

Right, so they are in fact the same, thank you.

As expected, you can't trust people's eyes lol.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Ajay wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:48 pm
Right, so they are in fact the same, thank you.

As expected, you can't trust people's eyes lol.
Thinking about it, the sets do (at least to me) look more organic on my TV them on my computer. Could be the player/whatever their TV is calibrated too.

I mean, it does stink that it's not an improvement but I am more than beyond happy that this is out to the general public and I hope at some point there is a regular style release that replaces the season sets. Plus now I have a way to replace my discs of at some point they get messed up.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:06 pm

I mean, it does stink that it's not an improvement but I am more than beyond happy that this is out to the general public and I hope at some point there is a regular style release that replaces the season sets. Plus now I have a way to replace my discs of at some point they get messed up.
This will probably sound weird, but I couldn't help but smile when I was finally able to pop one of these in and see the footage "uncropped". I thought for sure this remaster would never leave the U.S. and UK (and in its super limited form).

KPike87
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:09 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by KPike87 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:21 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:46 pm
Image
I have to say, the colors, at least on episode 2 here, are pretty alright looking. Still too saturated, but the hue as a whole is a lot better than the season Blu Rays, which in it of itself was less faithful than even the OBs.

User avatar
Venny
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Venny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Jhanzie wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:35 pm
Uh.... somebody’s got y’all messed up.

Disc one of Season One Steelbook: over 46 GB

EPISODE 001: 4.7 GB

I’m sitting here at my computer looking at this, as I just ripped the disc myself.

These are dual layer BDs, and probably 1:1 copies of the 30th set.
Nah I didn't mess up the episode I was sent was a raw rip from MakeMKV. 3.5 gb in Season 3 Disc 1. Season 1 files might be slightly larger but raw 30th Edition episodes are 5 gb+ per episode so still lower bit rate

User avatar
Venny
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Venny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:29 pm
I've been reading about the bitrate thing over on the blu-ray forums, and a couple of people have confirmed it's a false rumour.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... 0&page=380
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... 0&page=381

It's amazing how easily people are willing to believe stuff without a shred of evidence. Of course Funi are going to use the same discs as the 30th.
I got evidence in the form of the actual fuckin BD files lol

User avatar
Venny
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Venny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:10 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:33 pm
looks like it's from the recap. Here's some 30th shots

In episode:
Image

Recap:
Image

Edit: are the discs only single layered?

Edit 2: i saw your friend sent you just the episode. Is it a raw file or did they compress it?
Raw file. I know they wouldn't compress the episode as they were literally ripping it and showing me the discs they have in Discord

User avatar
Venny
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Venny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:14 pm


User avatar
kyppk
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by kyppk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 pm

It was a pain to set up again but I got my 30th to compare the file size, unsurprisingly they're the same as the Steelbooks.

https://imgur.com/a/h5xxPdV

Top is mine, middle is from Venny, and the bottom is my disc in file explorer with the episodes highlighted

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 am

I will also say, these steelbooks look really nice in person and the discs use a cool metallic ink. Now, it wouldn't make me feel less safe to not always use them as it would my 30th lol
Image
Image

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:38 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am

so Are these sets still good or no? i pre-ordered my copies

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:15 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am
so Are these sets still good or no? i pre-ordered my copies
Here is a small snippet from season 3. Recorded thru VLC so it might not be 100% 1:1 but I think it's a pretty good representation.
https://mega.nz/file/1EgHEAYR#J_6C9Vx8o ... oOpVfTtDZ0

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:38 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:24 am

i like it, it looks passable

Jhanzie
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:50 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Jhanzie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:36 am

Venny wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Jhanzie wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:35 pm
Uh.... somebody’s got y’all messed up.

Disc one of Season One Steelbook: over 46 GB

EPISODE 001: 4.7 GB

I’m sitting here at my computer looking at this, as I just ripped the disc myself.

These are dual layer BDs, and probably 1:1 copies of the 30th set.
Nah I didn't mess up the episode I was sent was a raw rip from MakeMKV. 3.5 gb in Season 3 Disc 1. Season 1 files might be slightly larger but raw 30th Edition episodes are 5 gb+ per episode so still lower bit rate
Actually they are the same, both sets over 4GB per episode. If the 30th episodes were actually over 5GB apiece, the 10 episodes on season 3 disc 1 wouldn’t fit on a dual layer BD.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am
so Are these sets still good or no? i pre-ordered my copies
I've been watching through the first season. While there have been better remasters in the past, these look perfectly acceptable. Some artificial grain was applied to the picture from when footage was first shown, and I think that masks some of their remastering process. There's the occasional shot that's a little too vibrant (the intro and outro, for example), but nothing stands out as being too bad otherwise.

My only real complaint is that there's only a handful of bonus features, and they're apparently all from the 2014 Blu-rays. When it comes to the show itself, if you want it in 4:3 then this is a good "cheap" option.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:39 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 am
I will also say, these steelbooks look really nice in person and the discs use a cool metallic ink. Now, it wouldn't make me feel less safe to not always use them as it would my 30th lol
Image
Image
Something I like about it is that the art of Raditz and Gokou from the 2014 Blu-ray cover is used inside of the case. I'm assuming the other seasons do the same with their respective 2014 releases. It helps break up the, "HEY, VEGETA IS THE BIG BADDY OF THIS SEASON!" the rest of the case and discs scream at you, and it lets that art be featured on a competent release.

KPike87
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:09 am

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by KPike87 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:32 pm

In comparison to other releases sold in stores: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/FJJEMNNU

If you don't want to shell out for the Dragon Boxes, this will do. I actually stopped noticing a lot of the flaws as I kept watching, which I can't say for the previous season sets.

User avatar
JEFFMAN219
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Ajay wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:13 am
Back in January, MangaUK came to me and said Funi were putting out their 30th sets in seasonal packaging for the mass market. They wanted to know if they should do that too or go with the old 16:9 release. I told them 4:3, obviously.
Did they mention if this is going to be a limited release? Or are these going to replace the 2013 Blu Ray sets?

User avatar
JEFFMAN219
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 pm
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am
so Are these sets still good or no? i pre-ordered my copies
I've been watching through the first season. While there have been better remasters in the past, these look perfectly acceptable. Some artificial grain was applied to the picture from when footage was first shown, and I think that masks some of their remastering process. There's the occasional shot that's a little too vibrant (the intro and outro, for example), but nothing stands out as being too bad otherwise.

My only real complaint is that there's only a handful of bonus features, and they're apparently all from the 2014 Blu-rays. When it comes to the show itself, if you want it in 4:3 then this is a good "cheap" option.
All the bonus features are from the 2014 Blu Rays lol. Funimation got lazy on that part

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:15 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 pm
JustAlex1997 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:33 pm
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am
so Are these sets still good or no? i pre-ordered my copies
I've been watching through the first season. While there have been better remasters in the past, these look perfectly acceptable. Some artificial grain was applied to the picture from when footage was first shown, and I think that masks some of their remastering process. There's the occasional shot that's a little too vibrant (the intro and outro, for example), but nothing stands out as being too bad otherwise.

My only real complaint is that there's only a handful of bonus features, and they're apparently all from the 2014 Blu-rays. When it comes to the show itself, if you want it in 4:3 then this is a good "cheap" option.
All the bonus features are from the 2014 Blu Rays lol. Funimation got lazy on that part
there should be an extra bonus on the last disc, but I have yet to watch it :lol:
Really debating keeping these steels...it's really kind of a waste since I have the 30th but they're nice.

Post Reply