Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Adamant » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 am Aside from that, standards change over time. Just because we were ok with square pictures back when we had SD TVs and some people are still ok with that, doesn't mean most people are ok with watching a show that has huge black bars on both sides of the image, effectively not using a 4th (or more) of your screen's overall size and pixel count. Outside straight up redrawing the whole series, I've yet to see any suggestions for how to convert SD content to HD displays in a way that doesn't warp/stretch the image or present the viewer with those huge, unwanted black bars. A couple inches off the sides of a frame is generally considered an acceptable compromise to fully utilize the entire TV screen.
This cropping nonsense and "fullscreen" DVDs is a fairly unique American phenomenon, because America is the only country where enough people are stupid enough to actually want that kind of garbage. Get the hell out with your "most people are as dumb as me" shit.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 amAside from that, standards change over time. Just because we were ok with square pictures back when we had SD TVs and some people are still ok with that, doesn't mean most people are ok with watching a show that has huge black bars on both sides of the image, effectively not using a 4th (or more) of your screen's overall size and pixel count. Outside straight up redrawing the whole series, I've yet to see any suggestions for how to convert SD content to HD displays in a way that doesn't warp/stretch the image or present the viewer with those huge, unwanted black bars. A couple inches off the sides of a frame is generally considered an acceptable compromise to fully utilize the entire TV screen.
Unwanted by who, you? Huge? Give me a break, I'd be willing to bet even most casuals aren't bothered by pillar boxing at all, and if they are? Well, I do have a suggestion for this problem actually, it's called a zoom button. Basically every current flat screen TV has this feature in some capacity. Face it, cropping footage is pointless, even Funimation has come to their senses about this I think.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:43 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:21 pmI'll bet you dollars to donuts these stay in print and/or are replaced with a non-steelbook version
I would say so too, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Manga UK re-release these discs in standard amaray cases. They've had constant demands on social media to release DBZ on Blu-Ray and they never released the existing season sets. If they do I think it's a win for us skipping one cropped set and having them done with from now on.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:26 am

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 am
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 amAside from that, standards change over time. Just because we were ok with square pictures back when we had SD TVs and some people are still ok with that, doesn't mean most people are ok with watching a show that has huge black bars on both sides of the image, effectively not using a 4th (or more) of your screen's overall size and pixel count. Outside straight up redrawing the whole series, I've yet to see any suggestions for how to convert SD content to HD displays in a way that doesn't warp/stretch the image or present the viewer with those huge, unwanted black bars. A couple inches off the sides of a frame is generally considered an acceptable compromise to fully utilize the entire TV screen.
Unwanted by who, you? Huge? Give me a break, I'd be willing to bet even most casuals aren't bothered by pillar boxing at all, and if they are? Well, I do have a suggestion for this problem actually, it's called a zoom button. Basically every current flat screen TV has this feature in some capacity. Face it, cropping footage is pointless, even Funimation has come to their senses about this I think.
Black bars are such a fallacy, too. They're black bars. If you're paying attention to what you're watching, you don't notice them at all—they're absolute nothingness. I certainly never noticed letterboxes when watching 16:9 stuff on 4:3 TVs, and it's the same thing now with 4:3 stuff on my current TV.

In fact, I'd wager the things people resort to fill the black bars are a trillion times more disruptive than blank bars themselves. Images, the same footage zoomed in & blurred (this is routinely awful and I never understand why so many sports companies do this shit), etc. I guarantee nobody actually notices black bars unless they're consciously looking at them.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 am Aside from that, standards change over time. Just because we were ok with square pictures back when we had SD TVs and some people are still ok with that, doesn't mean most people are ok with watching a show that has huge black bars on both sides of the image, effectively not using a 4th (or more) of your screen's overall size and pixel count. Outside straight up redrawing the whole series, I've yet to see any suggestions for how to convert SD content to HD displays in a way that doesn't warp/stretch the image or present the viewer with those huge, unwanted black bars. A couple inches off the sides of a frame is generally considered an acceptable compromise to fully utilize the entire TV screen.
Man I don't know how you survive watching any movie in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. Do you expect that type of content to be cropped too, just so you don't have to deal with those oh-so-terrible black bars?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:21 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Man I don't know how you survive watching any movie in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. Do you expect that type of content to be cropped too, just so you don't have to deal with those oh-so-terrible black bars?
Right?! The vast majority of movies are 2.35:1. They have black bars on all TVs. Are they a problem there?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 pmThere's really not much of a point in arguing with any of you about the aspect ratio.
The issue with how Funimation does it is that they simply cut off everything equally, regardless of it making sense. I personally prefer the show in its original aspect, but if it has to change, at least let it be changed right.
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 pmI'm willing to bet that most of the exaggerated complaints just seem silly to those who are OK being lied to by companies that puts the bare minimum of effort in their products.
Fixed.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 am It makes me wonder how some of you older fans ever managed to cope back when VHS and DVD releases had Widescreen and Fullscreen versions available. Like, if your parents had gotten you Batman or Star Wars in Fullscreen instead of Widescreen, did you or would you have thrown a fit?
No because I didn't know any better back then. These days I do, and I want to watch things the way they were intended. As an adult I can analyze and understand why it's best to view things in this way, and therefore I can appreciate them more than when I was a kid.
G1GACANN0N wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am And this new set seems to be a crop of a crop so idk wtf FUNimation is even doing anymore.
Please do at least an iota of research before saying things like this. Look at any image from anything except the initial reveal trailer and you'll clearly see that not only is it not a crop of a crop, but the image actually shows a comparable amount to the Dragon Box.

*big sigh* I still get pissed when I think about all those overstimulated people that were screaming "CrOp Of A cRoP" when these were announced and screenshots were shown. Being upset is ok but losing your mind to the point of being nonsensical is not. Unfortunately some of those people that were screaming that nonsense are regulars here.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 am
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 am It makes me wonder how some of you older fans ever managed to cope back when VHS and DVD releases had Widescreen and Fullscreen versions available. Like, if your parents had gotten you Batman or Star Wars in Fullscreen instead of Widescreen, did you or would you have thrown a fit?
No because I didn't know any better back then. These days I do, and I want to watch things the way they were intended. As an adult I can analyze and understand why it's best to view things in this way, and therefore I can appreciate them more than when I was a kid.
G1GACANN0N wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am And this new set seems to be a crop of a crop so idk wtf FUNimation is even doing anymore.
Please do at least an iota of research before saying things like this. Look at any image from anything except the initial reveal trailer and you'll clearly see that not only is it not a crop of a crop, but the image actually shows a comparable amount to the Dragon Box.

*big sigh* I still get pissed when I think about all those overstimulated people that were screaming "CrOp Of A cRoP" when these were announced and screenshots were shown. Being upset is ok but losing your mind to the point of being nonsensical is not. Unfortunately some of those people that were screaming that nonsense are regulars here.
Yeah I had no idea what the difference between full-screen and widescreen was as a kid, now I try to seek widescreen whenever I can.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 am

Right. The argument of, "when you were a kid" is a really weak one. It's the reason I hate it when people say, "the English dub of Dragon Ball Z probably got you into the series, so you aren't allowed to criticize it" as standards change with age.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Season 4+5 are up now

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-B ... ok-Blu-ray
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-B ... ok-Blu-ray
These ones actually look pretty good

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Kind of interesting that the design for the front on those is a bit different from the first 3. Maybe those weren't final and they'll be updated to look like these new ones?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Those new design tweaks are a lot better! I hope they fix the first 3's designs, otherwise this will be a really strange looking release on the shelf. (Maybe they are taking a tip from Viz when it comes to not being able to stick to a consistent design for their releases :lol: )
Honestly, I'm also not a fan of how fast these are releasing. Almost no wallet breathing room.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 am

mh, still feels a bit too urban for my tastes, but it is an improvement.

Also, Semi-Perfect Cell really got the shaft there, huh?

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 am mh, still feels a bit too urban for my tastes, but it is an improvement.

Also, Semi-Perfect Cell really got the shaft there, huh?
I'd much prefer packaging similar to the Selecta Vision releases of DB, but funimation is always gonna market DBZ to the Toonami crowd, so you just gotta hope it isn't COMPLETELY ugly. I still prefer it to the cluttered off-model diaramas from the 2014 blus. Tho it looks like they are reusing some of the 2014 art for the backs of these, which I'm not keen on.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 am

CuppaKofe wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 am funimation is always gonna market DBZ to the Toonami crowd, so you just gotta hope it isn't COMPLETELY ugly.
The Kanzenshuu motto!
CuppaKofe wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 am I still prefer it to the cluttered off-model diaramas from the 2014 blus. Tho it looks like they are reusing some of the 2014 art for the backs of these, which I'm not keen on.
Yeah, you got some prime Yamamuro action there, like Trunks' short hair!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am

To be honest, I really like the artwork on these, in general.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm

It’s really dumb that I’m considering these, mainly because I have all of Kai and am happy enough to keep the English dub of that. I do like the look of the steelbooks though.

Also they need to release DBS Seasons and not sets dangit. Been waiting for that instead of another release of Z.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 pm It’s really dumb that I’m considering these, mainly because I have all of Kai and am happy enough to keep the English dub of that. I do like the look of the steelbooks though.

Also they need to release DBS Seasons and not sets dangit. Been waiting for that instead of another release of Z.
I wish Kanzenshuu had a like button. I thought about doing my own condensed set

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm

I recon Bojack movie won't be in Season 4 set, they should be more careful with their cover image picks.