Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Son Gara wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:13 pm So much for the 30th anniversary version being a "once in a lifetime opportunity" buy lol. Oh Funi, after all these years you still haven't change.
Just wait, for the 40th anniversary we're gonna get the 4k HDR release of DBZ and it will for realsies be "The definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z" (tm)
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Son Gara wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:13 pm So much for the 30th anniversary version being a "once in a lifetime opportunity" buy lol. Oh Funi, after all these years you still haven't change.
I think the once in a lifetime opportunity was like the packagina dn the book and the statue and all that other crap.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Kendamu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm
I think the once in a lifetime opportunity was like the packagina dn the book and the statue and all that other crap.
I think so too, the fact it's a 4:3 release that anyone can get makes me happy, even if it could be better.

Infact the only way I'd be mad is if it was actually better :lol:

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm
Kendamu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm
I think so too, the fact it's a 4:3 release that anyone can get makes me happy, even if it could be better.

Infact the only way I'd be mad is if it was actually better :lol:
I've been watching a lot of clips, and I have to say that this is a perfectly acceptable release. I'm very happy that it'll finally be available in Canada (and elsewhere). I've already put my Orange Bricks up for sale as I'm looking forward to never having to look at them again.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 amI've already put my Orange Bricks up for sale as I'm looking forward to never having to look at them again.
Yet you have no problem allowing another fellow fan to look at them ? If you were a true fan, you'd burn them with fire. :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:37 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 am
JustAlex1997 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 amI've already put my Orange Bricks up for sale as I'm looking forward to never having to look at them again.
Yet you have no problem allowing another fellow fan to look at them ? If you were a true fan, you'd burn them with fire. :thumbup:
Hey one man’s trash, can also be that man’s cash.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm

I've been on an Ultimate Uncut kick now (don't know why as I don't even have nostalgia for them lol) but I did this comparison because I thought the colors were brighter, but I guess I was wrong? (these were captured using the prtsc..still can't get my discs to work with Virtual dub (I cant seem to do anything with blurays :lol: ) so I hope colors are much more accurate than VLC screenshots

Also had some fun on some potential what ifs

30th with Level Colors

level with 30th colors

Also noticed this werid moment. I guess when they did a second cleaning pass, they is a weird moment where it looks like it "replaced" shading that wasnt there
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7YWWGNNX#
Video:
30th https://streamable.com/58c572
level https://streamable.com/1jneu1

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 pm They're finally up for pre-order on Amazon.ca! They'll be $52.33 (CAD).

https://www.amazon.ca/Dragon-Ball-Blu-r ... dvd&sr=1-4
Ya those prices are way to damn high lol. Hopefully the prices drops like they did in the US.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 am
I actually considered that, but the four I have were all gifts. Had it been my money, I may have.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm
JustAlex1997 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 pm They're finally up for pre-order on Amazon.ca! They'll be $52.33 (CAD).

Ya those prices are way to damn high lol. Hopefully the prices drops like they did in the US.
Considering my only other option for years was the Dragon Boxes, I'll take it. I just want to support them so Funimation is less likely to cancel them halfway through or something.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Considering my only other option for years was the Dragon Boxes, I'll take it. I just want to support them so Funimation is less likely to cancel them halfway through or something.
I live in Canada and I purchased them from Crunchy Roll with a promo code and got them for cheaper than this. Just thought I'd let you know before spending this much.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm -snip-
I just want to support them so Funimation is less likely to cancel them halfway through or something.
Exactly why I've already ordered all three. I don't have Z physically, so I'm really hoping they follow through with this run.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm I've been on an Ultimate Uncut kick now (don't know why as I don't even have nostalgia for them lol) but I did this comparison because I thought the colors were brighter, but I guess I was wrong? (these were captured using the prtsc..still can't get my discs to work with Virtual dub (I cant seem to do anything with blurays :lol: ) so I hope colors are much more accurate than VLC screenshots

30th with Level Colors

level with 30th colors

Also noticed this werid moment. I guess when they did a second cleaning pass, they is a weird moment where it looks like it "replaced" shading that wasnt there
Video:
Honesty time: I think I prefer the 30th colors here. The Level set colors are kinda bland. It seems like the Namek saga onward are when the colors get better for those original masters.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm I've been on an Ultimate Uncut kick now (don't know why as I don't even have nostalgia for them lol) but I did this comparison because I thought the colors were brighter, but I guess I was wrong? (these were captured using the prtsc..still can't get my discs to work with Virtual dub (I cant seem to do anything with blurays :lol: ) so I hope colors are much more accurate than VLC screenshots

30th with Level Colors

level with 30th colors

Video:
Honesty time: I think I prefer the 30th colors here. The Level set colors are kinda bland. It seems like the Namek saga onward are when the colors get better for those original masters.
I prefer the 30th colors in some areas, like the color of the gi, but the skintones look much better to me on the levels.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm

30th with Level Colors

level with 30th colors

Video:
I prefer the 30th colors in some areas, like the color of the gi, but the skintones look much better to me on the levels.
Yeah, in the level sets the skin tones seem more natural, or perhaps "Under control" could describe how I see it better. In the 30th, people either come out ghostly white, or pinkish lobster tan :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:57 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm
JustAlex1997 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm

I live in Canada and I purchased them from Crunchy Roll with a promo code and got them for cheaper than this. Just thought I'd let you know before spending this much.
I tried this too (Premium membership trial, 15% off discount code.) and the total came to... 3 dollars less than amazon.ca.
Dunno if you did anything different, but hardly a deal.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 am

While it'd be nice to get Dragon Box blurays at a reasonable price, I've never understood the claims that any of the DBZ remasters are "unwatchable." Sure, they aren't 1:1 representative of what you'd have seen on a TV screen in Japan back in the 90s, but having the vibrancy of the colors increased and cropping out a bit of the edge of the shot hardly make it "unwatchable." You can still follow the story, the images are still framed in a way that you can tell what you're looking at (the worst that seems to be cropped out is the occasional arm or top of a head).

It makes me wonder how some of you older fans ever managed to cope back when VHS and DVD releases had Widescreen and Fullscreen versions available. Like, if your parents had gotten you Batman or Star Wars in Fullscreen instead of Widescreen, did you or would you have thrown a fit?

All that said, I'm definitely picking these up solely on the basis that they're steelbooks (and I collect both steelbooks and DBZ media, so this is a slam dunk regardless of whether it was an Orange Box re-release) and I HIGHLY doubt Funimation is ever going to release another set of seasonal steelbooks, especially if this run fails to sell well.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:07 am

I guess if you can put up with the Blue Bricks like me, maybe it's not so bad, but it still looks worse than that I'd say. But I think I'm going to cave and get the first two sets, I hate to say. I just need 1-67 uncut, since those were never completed on the singles.While I have Dragon Box 1, the price of DB2 is just not worth it to me over this in terms of price to performance/content difference.

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 am It makes me wonder how some of you older fans ever managed to cope back when VHS and DVD releases had Widescreen and Fullscreen versions available. Like, if your parents had gotten you Batman or Star Wars in Fullscreen instead of Widescreen, did you or would you have thrown a fit?
Except DBZ was created in 4:3 whereas 99% of "full screen" dvd's are pan and scan or cropped.

And this new set seems to be a crop of a crop so idk wtf FUNimation is even doing anymore.

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 pm

The cropping is fine for this set besides the first episode or so. The colors aren't great. But what really makes it unwatchable is the filter they used which makes the lines smeary and gives everything an artificially razor sharp look. Anyone who hated that look on the Season Blu-rays instantly saw that something was very wrong when the first trailer for this dropped.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/910CJNNU

I get that the source material isn't always sharp, but the lines shouldn't be turning into fat smeary blobs. Some people don't notice this or even mind it, but I can't stand watching anything with this sort of filter. People talk about "DNR" and "cropping" a lot, but this right here is the real deal breaker for me.