Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:19 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 am
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:42 am
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 am

I agree, unless they announce the level sets reboot these Steelbooks will be my final perfect set
Perfect is not a word I would use to describe this set. It's a mediocre set at best. Will happily stick with the Dragon Boxes over these.
It's his perfect set tho. I can't blame him as I'm tired of buying the series or waiting for anything better. While I do have the Japanese Dragon Box of Z, I can watch both releases and enjoy different aspects of them.

The Dragon Boxes, I'd say, are mediocre as they didn't color correct or even place the NEP where they belong. They just scanned the film and slapped it on a disc.
No. The dragon boxes were remastered! They weren't just slapped on a disc. Colors might be off but they're definitely remastered. That's very clear.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:21 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:07 pm I find it interesting how the extremely vocal disdain for the 30th on this forum has suddenly shifted into acceptance and apathy. I guess Funimation has finally broken the will of the hardcores.

At least there isn't anyone on here arguing that these are better than the Dragon Boxes like a certain other forum (Blu-ray.com). Now THAT would be a complete tone shift for this forum.
I find it sad. Means we'll never get better.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:58 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:19 am

Perfect is not a word I would use to describe this set. It's a mediocre set at best. Will happily stick with the Dragon Boxes over these.
It's his perfect set tho. I can't blame him as I'm tired of buying the series or waiting for anything better. While I do have the Japanese Dragon Box of Z, I can watch both releases and enjoy different aspects of them.

The Dragon Boxes, I'd say, are mediocre as they didn't color correct or even place the NEP where they belong. They just scanned the film and slapped it on a disc.
No. The dragon boxes were remastered! They weren't just slapped on a disc. Colors might be off but they're definitely remastered. That's very clear.
I'm saying there was a lot more TOEI could have done that would have made this the definitive version (I have no issues with it being SD as that's how the show aired). If the 30th (or even kai) is the best we're going to get the show in HD until TOEI remasters their masters (because any other release will not look as good as TOEI's first gen masters) then I'm fine with it. And even still, I have a lot of reservations about TOEI's handle on said remasters.

It's a pick your poison at this point.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:58 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:19 am

I'm saying there was a lot more TOEI could have done that would have made this the definitive version (I have no issues with it being SD as that's how the show aired). If the 30th (or even kai) is the best we're going to get the show in HD until TOEI remasters their masters (because any other release will not look as good as TOEI's first gen masters) then I'm fine with it. And even still, I have a lot of reservations about TOEI's handle on said remasters.

It's a pick your poison at this point.
That's not what you said "they just scanned the film and slapped it on a disc". But thanks for clearing up your misinformation, though.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 am

I agree, unless they announce the level sets reboot these Steelbooks will be my final perfect set
That's fine that you like your DBox. I think you can leave it at that as the Steelbooks are perfect for some folks.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:41 pm

The only possible silver lining is if 4:3 really is here to stay, than maybe just maybe the next release will be 4:3 and better in other ways.

The only problem, is this may just be the final release. They need something to push it to get people to buy the show again. The OB's were the first time they were all collected in a cohesive release, the Dragon Boxes were something the fans wanted for the past six years, the Level Sets and Season BD's made to the jump to full 1080p HD, and the Steelbooks are the return of 4:3. Unless they revive the Level Sets or do a similar remaster, I'm not sure what they'd push, unless they actually do a 4K release, but I doubt that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:07 pm I find it interesting how the extremely vocal disdain for the 30th on this forum has suddenly shifted into acceptance and apathy. I guess Funimation has finally broken the will of the hardcores.

At least there isn't anyone on here arguing that these are better than the Dragon Boxes like a certain other forum (Blu-ray.com). Now THAT would be a complete tone shift for this forum.
Well, if this is what FUNimation had released in the first place all those years ago (albeit on DVD), the absolute storm of negativity over their homes releases of DBZ never would have happened in the first place. Cropping it to 16:9 was the real trigger that caused so many to (understandably) lose their minds. If we had gotten this 4:3 release in the first place, it still would’ve gotten criticism just like most other FUNi releases do for their picture quality, but it would’ve at the very least been accepted.

So, I think a lot of people have realized this and realize too that 4:3 presumably being the standard now is a pretty huge victory overall. This wouldn’t have happened if FUNi didn’t get so much negative feedback about it.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:38 am
Forte224 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:31 am
The steelbooks themselves are limited, as they'll be replaced with normal packaging later on. In terms of the 16:9 release, I guess it could just remain as another option, but the 4:3s are here to stay.
Interesting. Do we know for a fact that there will be normal packaging? I’m wondering if these Steelbooks are considered limited and then it’ll just go back to the 16:9 for the standard release.
I'm not as clued-in but MangaUK has been offering standard packaging for the 4:3 Blu-Rays for a while now.
Very nice. Hopefully these come to the US. I don't like Steelbooks and much rather have normal packaging.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Kai is the best picture quality you will ever get out of dbz material. They will never ever put in the effort some of us want because 90% dont give a rats ass about quality they just want to watch it.

New era of anime is shiny, clean, and just ugly(for the older folks) young folks will see it the other way for them dragon box footage is utter garbage its old faded and what not.

Its a generation thing that old look has charme to us. Doesnt help that most stuff today gets slapped on by a computer.

A compromise needs to be made and i think this set is it. Cant wait to see how they will sell. Afaik they said 4:3 sells worse than 16:9 which makes completely sense.

I just need the boo saga of Z, i may try one of these to compare to dragon box out of curiosity. But its hard to get them here sadly :/.

Some screenshots of the boo saga would be pretty neat ;-)
Hellsing