Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 am

I'm getting the final two steelbooks this week. I've been pretty satisfied by their quality and I don't expect to ever buy the series again after this. If you want 4:3 DBZ at a reasonable price this is the way to go.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 am

Kendamu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 amI've been pretty satisfied by their quality and I don't expect to ever buy the series again after this.
Same. Even if they do make a "better" release, these steelbooks are good enough for me to end it here.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:48 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 pm
The Galactic Tyrant wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 pm I have the original Funi DVD Singles, Is this a worthy upgrade?
Picture and sound quality is a bit better, but the 4:3 ratio is a bit messed up so some of the picture is missing, not to mention it's lacking the original Faulconer soundtrack and uses the partially re-recorded dub from the Orange Bricks which removes some voice-filters used for certain characters in the original dub.

Personally i'd hold onto the singles if I were you.
The aspect ratio is actually perfect on this release, with the exception of the first 3 episodes which are slightly zoomed in. There's actually instances were this release shows more picture than the Dragon Boxes.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:36 am

Codarik wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 am
Kendamu wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 amI've been pretty satisfied by their quality and I don't expect to ever buy the series again after this.
Same. Even if they do make a "better" release, these steelbooks are good enough for me to end it here.
i think if The HD Dragon Boxes or The level sets returning were announced, i would have to think about it BUT i would be fine if Funimation ends it here because DBZ finally finished a set we waited for

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 am

i may have to wait to get the final steelbooks if i don't get money tomorrow

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:54 am

after a long history off crappy releases, WE FINALLY got a completed decent set Other then the Dragon Boxes

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:36 am
i think if The HD Dragon Boxes or The level sets returning were announced, i would have to think about it BUT i would be fine if Funimation ends it here because DBZ finally finished a set we waited for
I think there's a good chance the 30th remaster and its various repackages (Steelbooks, Manga UK seasons, etc) will be the last Blu-Ray. It's hard to imagine where the market for another one would be.

If I had to guess I'd say the next time we get a new remaster will be Funimation's attempt to release Z on UHD Blu-Rays.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

The Galactic Tyrant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Galactic Tyrant » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 am

The Galactic Tyrant wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 pm I have the original Funi DVD Singles, Is this a worthy upgrade?
Picture and sound quality is a bit better, but the 4:3 ratio is a bit messed up so some of the picture is missing, not to mention it's lacking the original Faulconer soundtrack and uses the partially re-recorded dub from the Orange Bricks which removes some voice-filters used for certain characters in the original dub.

Thanks for the reply, I need me that faulconer soundtrack haha.
Formally Known As SSj Gogito (Wait Who Was That)

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:19 am

Do these have the JPN dub?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 am

ZombieVito wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:19 am Do these have the JPN dub?
Yes, all of Funimation's releases (DB or otherwise) include the Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 am
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:36 am

I think there's a good chance the 30th remaster and its various repackages (Steelbooks, Manga UK seasons, etc) will be the last Blu-Ray. It's hard to imagine where the market for another one would be.

If I had to guess I'd say the next time we get a new remaster will be Funimation's attempt to release Z on UHD Blu-Rays.
i don't know if i would buy UHD

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:21 pm

To give this release SOME credit, the zoomed in 4:3 crop only applies to the first few episodes, the rest seems to vary between being comparable to the Dragon Boxes and slightly more picture than the DBs.

I saw Season 8 and 9 in person, and noticed season 9 is using different promo art then what is shown in listings. It really doesn't match with the season 8 art, although that isn't really new with the art being used for this release. There's a lot of instances of Orange Brick era promo art seemingly being redrawn for this release, so it seems really odd that they haven't been consistent with the art style despite this.

Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm

Have a random question about these Steelbooks.

I noticed the first 8 or so episodes have a new US replacement soundtrack (I've double checked with Ultimate Uncut and Orange Bricks, it's definitely not the Nathan Johnson score), and was curious if anyone had more information on this. Seems odd that Funimation would go out of their way to change the soundtrack for the first 8 episodes and leave it at that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Vidsigma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm Have a random question about these Steelbooks.

I noticed the first 8 or so episodes have a new US replacement soundtrack (I've double checked with Ultimate Uncut and Orange Bricks, it's definitely not the Nathan Johnson score), and was curious if anyone had more information on this. Seems odd that Funimation would go out of their way to change the soundtrack for the first 8 episodes and leave it at that.
I just checked the episode on my 30th (boxset/same disc image used on the steels) with the ultimate uncut and so far it's playing out the same sans the title card music

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:49 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Vidsigma wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm Have a random question about these Steelbooks.

I just checked the episode on my 30th (boxset/same disc image used on the steels) with the ultimate uncut and so far it's playing out the same sans the title card music
The first season steel books I have also have the same music as the UUE discs I've got. Sooo yeah can confirm its the same here

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Ah okay, don't know why I was thinking it was more than just the title card music. Changes the question then, why did they go out of their way to change the title card music? Seems like such an odd thing to do.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 am

i just got my Season 7, and It looks amazing. i ordered the final 2 steelbooks so i have to wait 2 more weeks

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:08 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 am i just got my Season 7, and It looks amazing. i ordered the final 2 steelbooks so i have to wait 2 more weeks
Agreed. Even though these sets are not perfect they're still the best DBZ Blu Ray release since the Level Sets. I still find it odd that FUNimation released these sets quietly with any promos and trailers what so ever.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am

I think it's just the recap and title card music that's different. I never had the 16:9 blu-rays, but I remember someone saying they had this alternate placement for the first 8 or so episodes too. I remember Nathan Johnson saying he didn't compose the alternate tracks. I have a feeling it might be Mark Menza who composed it, as it sounds similar to his GT stuff. Perhaps this is an earlier edit they're using, and Menza was originally going to do Seasons 1 and 2?

At least it reverts to the full Johnson score after them episodes.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 am

I really hope these don't go out of print or something. I have US and JP Dragon Boxes, so I really can't justify spending $40-$45 a piece on them, but if they go cheaper I'd definitely like to get them. Have they said if these are essentially replacing the 16:9 or if they're a limited release? Or has it been nothing but silence?