Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by peterx » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm sorry to ask the same question (maybe) already answered in this 20 page long thread, but if you own Funi's Dragon Box (2009-2011) then that is still the best release in case of faithfulness, picture detail, coloring, etc., is it? or this BD is somehow better? Thanks!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:08 pm

peterx wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm I'm sorry to ask the same question (maybe) already answered in this 20 page long thread, but if you own Funi's Dragon Box (2009-2011) then that is still the best release in case of faithfulness, picture detail, coloring, etc., is it? or this BD is somehow better? Thanks!
The Dragon Boxes are by far the best release. This is decent if you don't have the dragon boxes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:10 pm

peterx wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm I'm sorry to ask the same question (maybe) already answered in this 20 page long thread, but if you own Funi's Dragon Box (2009-2011) then that is still the best release in case of faithfulness, picture detail, coloring, etc., is it? or this BD is somehow better? Thanks!
As someone who owns all of the FUNi Z Dragon Boxes i can say for the most part definitely yes, even with the off color pallets at times due to the degradation that had occurred to the film prints compared to when they had originally been shot over a decade prior. In general it's by far the best in terms of detail over the other releases FUNi did or has done in house although the Dragon Box masters nowadays definitely show their age with being standard definition transfers of the 16mm film (and some 35mm for select Namek and Freeza episodes) done by Toei and Pony Canyon back in 2002/2003.

The new BD versions are ok, i would recommend them over the Orange Bricks and 2013-2014 Season BD sets even though these are flawed mostly with being the proper 4:3.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Thank you Guys for the fast answers! :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:42 pm

IMO if you own the Funi Dragon Box Z then there's no reason to buy the steelbooks unless the lighter colour grade and SD presentation has become a big annoyance for you. But to be clear, selling the DBox Z is something you shouldn't do!

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:21 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:42 pm
IMO if you own the Funi Dragon Box Z then there's no reason to buy the steelbooks unless the lighter colour grade and SD presentation has become a big annoyance for you. But to be clear, selling the DBox Z is something you shouldn't do!
Thanks! Yeah it will remain my "final" collection until something clearly better release comes out.. :)

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:34 am

i'm just asking this but Would anybody be fine if these sets were the Final release of DBZ? honestly i would be fine if funimation ended it with these. my reason would be we finally got a decent set and in Steelbooks, So ending it here would be perfect for me

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:49 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:34 am i'm just asking this but Would anybody be fine if these sets were the Final release of DBZ? honestly i would be fine if funimation ended it with these. my reason would be we finally got a decent set and in Steelbooks, So ending it here would be perfect for me
This is literally like their fifth complete series release of Z. And that’s not even counting the cancelled UUE and Level Sets or the dvd singles of the in-house dub or the Rock the Dragon released of their original edited dub with Saban and Ocean Group.

Oh and let’s not forget Kai itself might as well be considered a special edition re-release of Z.

Yeah it’s time for them to stop re-releasing Z every few years. Maybe show Dragon Ball some love for once.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 am

its time to let DBZ retire

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm

I've been watching the season box sets while working from home and been thinking I might want to pick up Kai as I finish these up, just started season 8 of Funi's release. However, I'm wondering if I should get these first instead. Does this release merit a double dip? Should I get Kai first? I'm just waiting for the next Funimation sale on RightStuf before doing either of these probably but I'd like to know some people's opinions on this versus the other bluray season release. Most people are talking about this compared to Dragon Boxes and it's not harder to be a lot better than that, lol. The problem is I've been avoiding a lot of funi releases unless they're all time favorites because they always have stuff wrong with them but Dragon Ball is an all time favorite! It's a lot more money to plop down than for a single season show though.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:38 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm I've been watching the season box sets while working from home and been thinking I might want to pick up Kai as I finish these up, just started season 8 of Funi's release. However, I'm wondering if I should get these first instead. Does this release merit a double dip? Should I get Kai first? I'm just waiting for the next Funimation sale on RightStuf before doing either of these probably but I'd like to know some people's opinions on this versus the other bluray season release. Most people are talking about this compared to Dragon Boxes and it's not harder to be a lot better than that, lol. The problem is I've been avoiding a lot of funi releases unless they're all time favorites because they always have stuff wrong with them but Dragon Ball is an all time favorite! It's a lot more money to plop down than for a single season show though.
If we're talking the Buu arcs, than Kai TFC has better voice acting and a much, much better script on the dub side, but not quite as well as Kai 1.0 in my opinion. Also, Kai TFC is cropped to 16:9 while the steelbooks are 4:3, and it has a pretty distracting green tint, at least on the Blu Rays. Kai TFC also doesn't cut out nearly as much filler as 1.0, sometimes even being 1:1 with Z, which kind of makes it pointless. If you're watching in English than I say go for Kai, but if you made it to season 8, than just go for whichever you find cheaper.

Honestly my main interest in Kai is the very well made English dub. For Z, the dub is just so bad, you pretty much have to listen in Japanese if you want the plot to make sense and for voices that don't put you to sleep. Kai in Japanese just feels wrong to me, particularly with the Kikuchi score which you're most likely to buy, it really just feels like a chopped up Z with nothing added for the better over the original Z
with not much merit besides that. The voice actors just aren't as into either than they originally were, either. The trimmed filler is good but really isn't enough to make me prefer it over Z in Japanese. It's still good, but Z defiantly is better for Japanese viewing.

TL;DR: Kai if you're watching for dub, Z if for sub.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:38 am
MuscleRobo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm I've been watching the season box sets while working from home and been thinking I might want to pick up Kai as I finish these up, just started season 8 of Funi's release. However, I'm wondering if I should get these first instead. Does this release merit a double dip? Should I get Kai first? I'm just waiting for the next Funimation sale on RightStuf before doing either of these probably but I'd like to know some people's opinions on this versus the other bluray season release. Most people are talking about this compared to Dragon Boxes and it's not harder to be a lot better than that, lol. The problem is I've been avoiding a lot of funi releases unless they're all time favorites because they always have stuff wrong with them but Dragon Ball is an all time favorite! It's a lot more money to plop down than for a single season show though.
If we're talking the Buu arcs, than Kai TFC has better voice acting and a much, much better script on the dub side, but not quite as well as Kai 1.0 in my opinion. Also, Kai TFC is cropped to 16:9 while the steelbooks are 4:3, and it has a pretty distracting green tint, at least on the Blu Rays. Kai TFC also doesn't cut out nearly as much filler as 1.0, sometimes even being 1:1 with Z, which kind of makes it pointless. If you're watching in English than I say go for Kai, but if you made it to season 8, than just go for whichever you find cheaper.

Honestly my main interest in Kai is the very well made English dub. For Z, the dub is just so bad, you pretty much have to listen in Japanese if you want the plot to make sense and for voices that don't put you to sleep. Kai in Japanese just feels wrong to me, particularly with the Kikuchi score which you're most likely to buy, it really just feels like a chopped up Z with nothing added for the better over the original Z
with not much merit besides that. The voice actors just aren't as into either than they originally were, either. The trimmed filler is good but really isn't enough to make me prefer it over Z in Japanese. It's still good, but Z defiantly is better for Japanese viewing.

TL;DR: Kai if you're watching for dub, Z if for sub.
I never had an issue understanding the plot while watching the original dub.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Because DB's plot isn't sophisticated.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:03 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm I never had an issue understanding the plot while watching the original dub.
Maybe that's not the right way to put it, but you miss out on a lot of nuance in the script, and some straight up inaccurate lines that contradict the story, like when Roshi tells Maron about the Red Ribbon Army events.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm

why is nobody talking about tuesday, the final two Steelbooks Come out

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm why is nobody talking about tuesday, the final two Steelbooks Come out
I haven't been keeping up cause I have the 30th but lets I'm glad this set got finished and other can atleast have a 4:3 set of the show.

Now I wonder how long the steelbooks will last in print.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:30 pm

i'm glad i got to collect these brand new this time

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 pm

I plan on keeping mine in mint condition forever

The Galactic Tyrant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Galactic Tyrant » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 pm

I have the original Funi DVD Singles, Is this a worthy upgrade?
Formally Known As SSj Gogito (Wait Who Was That)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 pm

The Galactic Tyrant wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 pm I have the original Funi DVD Singles, Is this a worthy upgrade?
Picture and sound quality is a bit better, but the 4:3 ratio is a bit messed up so some of the picture is missing, not to mention it's lacking the original Faulconer soundtrack and uses the partially re-recorded dub from the Orange Bricks which removes some voice-filters used for certain characters in the original dub.

Personally i'd hold onto the singles if I were you.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku