Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Madcity28

Re: Dragon Ball Z 4:3 Steelbooks

Post by Madcity28 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 am

So are the new steelbook discs exactly the same as the 30th anniversary discs, like do they have the same bit-rate?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:09 pm

Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 am So are the new steelbook discs exactly the same as the 30th anniversary discs, like do they have the same bit-rate?
Yes, this has been confirmed.

Madcity28

Post by Madcity28 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:09 pm
Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 am So are the new steelbook discs exactly the same as the 30th anniversary discs, like do they have the same bit-rate?
Ok thank you, just seemed like there was contradictory info about this, so glad that’s it’s confirmed to be the same discs, thanks again!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 pm
Ok thank you, just seemed like there was contradictory info about this, so glad that’s it’s confirmed to be the same discs, thanks again!
No problem. Another user here popped it into their PS4 and the thumbnail was for the super-deluxe 30th set rather than one for his Steelbooks, confirming it's literally the same ISO file being used!

Madcity28

Post by Madcity28 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:14 pm
No problem. Another user here popped it into their PS4 and the thumbnail was for the super-deluxe 30th set rather than one for his Steelbooks, confirming it's literally the same ISO file being used!
And there was proof of the bit-rate being the same, cause I read these steelbook releases have lower bit-rates?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:14 pm
And there was proof of the bit-rate being the same, cause I read these steelbook releases have lower bit-rates?
I'm not sure but they look identical to me

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:24 pm

Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 pm And there was proof of the bit-rate being the same, cause I read these steelbook releases have lower bit-rates?
They are the same. I checked my 30th disk against the Steelbook from the person who though there might be a bitrate issue, and they're the same disks.

https://imgur.com/a/h5xxPdV

Top and bottom are my 30th, and the middle is the Steelbook

Madcity28

Post by Madcity28 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm

kyppk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:24 pm
Madcity28 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 pm And there was proof of the bit-rate being the same, cause I read these steelbook releases have lower bit-rates?
They are the same. I checked my 30th disk against the Steelbook from the person who though there might be a bitrate issue, and they're the same disks.

https://imgur.com/a/h5xxPdV

Top and bottom are my 30th, and the middle is the Steelbook
Ok thank you, so they are legitimately just a reissue of the 30th anniversary discs without any adjustments or changes, it’s nice that they reissued these for those who didn’t get the 30th anniversary set. What’s the likelihood these are reissued in standard packaging?

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:12 pm

can these b considered Funimation's attempt at HD Dragon boxes? i wanna say so because these are really good

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 pm

I’m double dipping. Have the 30th anniversary and the packaging stinks so I’m getting the steelbooks too. The orange bricks and season sets were garbage and I never supported. These are watchable. I hated the 16x9 cropping. HATED. I support OAR. I’m all for widescreen if it is native. The set is watchable. Don’t listen to the dragon box loyalists that want you to purchase $1,000 of 480p dvd’s on ebay. Cheers 🤟🏼

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:06 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 pm I’m double dipping. Have the 30th anniversary and the packaging stinks so I’m getting the steelbooks too. The orange bricks and season sets were garbage and I never supported. These are watchable. I hated the 16x9 cropping. HATED. I support OAR. I’m all for widescreen if it is native. The set is watchable. Don’t listen to the dragon box loyalists that want you to purchase $1,000 of 480p dvd’s on ebay. Cheers 🤟🏼
$1,000? I wish. That'll only get you a single season of the Dragon Boxes.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:08 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 pm I’m double dipping. Have the 30th anniversary and the packaging stinks so I’m getting the steelbooks too. The orange bricks and season sets were garbage and I never supported. These are watchable. I hated the 16x9 cropping. HATED. I support OAR. I’m all for widescreen if it is native. The set is watchable. Don’t listen to the dragon box loyalists that want you to purchase $1,000 of 480p dvd’s on ebay. Cheers 🤟🏼
I actually thought about that because the steelbooks look awesome in person and less of a chore to get out. I knocked my 30th set to $75, but I also JUST got the japanese Dragon Boxes (which are much better than the FUNi box) so the adult in me say no...but....I don't know :lol:It would be supporting a 4:3 release tho

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Yeah, anyone on the fence who's not buying it just to look cool for others should totally get this set. Dont miss out because of other people who are holding out on more DBox DBZ or a new Toei DBZ remaster.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:47 am

I'm not a big fan of Funimation practices either, but some people can be really hyperbolic about how 'unwatchable' these sets are. The shaming that goes into telling people they are dumb for trying to enjoy what they can get their hands on does more to drive people away than help them understand.
And Honestly, I feel like some people (not all, obviously) genuinely love coming into threads like these so they can just brag about their DragonBoxes again.
I don't like that this is the only way to legally get 4:3 DBZ and I'm tired of the Funi cycle, but I'm way more tired of the discourse.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:09 pm

popped these in on my calibrated 4k TV and I will say these look much better than they do on my computer. The issues are still there but harder to notice, even the focus change shots look better. I think the only thing is the saturation is a little more glaring lol. Not sure if it's the better screen or that I'm appropriate viewing distance away but better none-the-less. Ironically you can't even see the grain layer lol

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Just to weigh in, wanting to "look cool" is not a reason that people will refuse to buy this set. If that were a motivation, then they'd simply buy the set, but not post about it. If people aren't buying this set, it's because they're not happy with what they've seen of it. Secondly, I do think these sets are hideous and unwatchable; this is a valid reaction to the footage on these sets and it's inaccurate to simply hand-wave it as "hyperbole". People's reactions are what they are. Some people can't stand watching these sets, while others are fine with them.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:12 pm can these b considered Funimation's attempt at HD Dragon boxes? i wanna say so because these are really good
No, not even close. these look a good bit worse than the dragon boxes. Yeah they are in an hd format, but funi destroyed the video so much that they have less detail than 480p dvds from 2003.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm

I mean, I've certainly done my fair share of complaining about this particular remaster, and I don't think that others are unjustified in complaining as well.

That said, I do think some people need to come back down to earth and realize a good portion of the fandom isn't interested in fighting some decades-long crusade against FUNi for better video quality.

Some people want to just, ya know, watch the show.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:33 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:11 pm
Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:12 pm can these b considered Funimation's attempt at HD Dragon boxes? i wanna say so because these are really good
No, not even close. these look a good bit worse than the dragon boxes. Yeah they are in an hd format, but funi destroyed the video so much that they have less detail than 480p dvds from 2003.
I think the fact they are 4:3 and the full series is probably the closest I can say about them being a FUNibox. The level sets were the closest (and in a lot of ways) better than the Dragon Box.
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm I mean, I've certainly done my fair share of complaining about this particular remaster, and I don't think that others are unjustified in complaining as well.

That said, I do think some people need to come back down to earth and realize a good portion of the fandom isn't interested in fighting some decades-long crusade against FUNi for better video quality.

I stand with this 100%. I hit a point where I bought and sold so many releases trying to find the best one that I lost interest in actually watching it because I analyzed it so much. For me, It's a decent alternative. If the Bluebricks don't bother people then I'd say they'd be pleased with this Blu-ray set. If you have the Dragon Boxes and think they're still miles better then feel relieved that you don't have to buy this and/or can wait for a better release. As I've said since the first trailer of the 30th set, is a 4:3 set, and while we shouldn't have had to fight for it, that's 50% of the battle and something I'm willing to accept. They could have gone the other way and done a 16:9 set with no/little DNR. :lol: Now of course when it comes to future in-house releases from funi, there will still be things that discourage people like lack of (optional) Japanese title cards (Me!) and no broadcast audio that may be enough to discourage some people from buying them.

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:37 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm That said, I do think some people need to come back down to earth and realize a good portion of the fandom isn't interested in fighting some decades-long crusade against FUNi for better video quality.

There's not really a crusade. There's just a repeating pattern of Funimation releasing something, and people rightfully criticizing it for how bad it looks. These criticisms don't in any way prevent others from "just watching the show". And the proof of that is in the sales numbers. Everyone knows how successful the Orange Bricks were. Ever since that release, it's been pretty obvious that most people in the fandom don't really care. So no, there's not a "down to earth" moment that needs to happen. We know that most people don't care. But we'll continue to criticize bad products regardless. If people don't care or don't agree with said criticisms, no problem. Buy the product, pop in the disc, and enjoy.