Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

aleksandrored

Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Post by aleksandrored » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi guys,

I always watched the anime in my language which is based on the original version, I was thinking of watching the American version because it is different, but I always see about several versions, like Ocean Dub, Original FUNimation Dub, Remastered Dub. In addition to seeing that there is a version for TV / Toonami, DVD Singles and Orange Box.

What would be the best way/version of Dragon Ball Z available to watch English Dub on American soundtrack?

Thank you in advance

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm

I am partial to the ocean dub but they basically took 2 episodes and edited them into one. If it's Z, I would suggest the readily available FUNimation dub as they didnt edit any of the episodes and it's more consistant (ocean didnt dub the namek or garlic jr saga and dubbed the later episodes without FUNimation, but based their dialogue off their scrips.)

For the movies, I cant watch dead zone, worlds strongest or tree of might if they arent with the ocean case, but they're just 3 movies so tracking those dvds down are cheap and easy :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 pm

Question: What is the best way to watch English-dubbed Dragon Ball?
Answer: Don't.

That's my honest advice. Just don't. The overwhelming majority of English-dubbed Dragon Ball material is just plain awful in every objective and measurable sense. There is essentially nothing to gain by watching it.

The only things that immediately come to mind which aren't utterly repulsive in English are A) the original Pioneer-era "Ocean dubs" of the first three Z movies, which you could probably track down on eBay easily enough, and B) most of Kai, up through the end of its original run but not including the Boo arc in the "Final Chapters," which can likewise be bought on DVD/BD or streamed on Funimation's site.

So if you're reeeaaally eager to watch something in English just for shits and giggles, I can at least attest to those things being watchable.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:02 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm I am partial to the ocean dub but they basically took 2 episodes and edited them into one. If it's Z, I would suggest the readily available FUNimation dub as they didnt edit any of the episodes and it's more consistant (ocean didnt dub the namek or garlic jr saga and dubbed the later episodes without FUNimation, but based their dialogue off their scrips.)

For the movies, I cant watch dead zone, worlds strongest or tree of might if they arent with the ocean case, but they're just 3 movies so tracking those dvds down are cheap and easy :)
Would the Blu-ray Version of DBZ be the best?

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Kaboom wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 pm Question: What is the best way to watch English-dubbed Dragon Ball?

That's my honest advice. Just don't. The overwhelming majority of English-dubbed Dragon Ball material is just plain awful in every objective and measurable sense. There is essentially nothing to gain by watching it.

The only things that immediately come to mind which aren't utterly repulsive in English are A) the original Pioneer-era "Ocean dubs" of the first three Z movies, which you could probably track down on eBay easily enough, and B) most of Kai, up through the end of its original run but not including the Boo arc in the "Final Chapters," which can likewise be bought on DVD/BD or streamed on Funimation's site.

So if you're reeeaaally eager to watch something in English just for shits and giggles, I can at least attest to those things being watchable.
It would be more curious to know the American version better, I only know it by excerpts and few episodes, as I already know the original it would be nice to compare.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Watch Dragon Ball first. I realize you’ve seen the anime in your own language but still don’t start with Z like a heathen. I realize the interest is to see how different Funimation’s rebranding of Z is but might as well Funimation go out its way to censor sexual and religious content

Easiest simplest way is to get the Blue Rays but I’d recommend getting the Pioneer sets or Rock the Dragon Boxset for the 53 episodes and then the Funimation singles if that’s possible. The only thing the remastered dub has going for it is “You can now watch this with the superior Kikuchi music” but since you’re wanting to watch with the American soundtrack might as well watch it to as close as its original presentation as possible. So edited Ocean/Saban/Funi dub for episodes 1-53 and original in house dub for episodes 54-276 (really 277 but Funi was weird about numbers)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 pm

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:02 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm I am partial to the ocean dub but they basically took 2 episodes and edited them into one. If it's Z, I would suggest the readily available FUNimation dub as they didnt edit any of the episodes and it's more consistant (ocean didnt dub the namek or garlic jr saga and dubbed the later episodes without FUNimation, but based their dialogue off their scrips.)

Would the Blu-ray Version of DBZ be the best?
Thats a tough question... unless you dont mind the cropped image your best bet would be the new sets coming out as tjose will be the original aspect ratio

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 pm Watch Dragon Ball first. I realize you’ve seen the anime in your own language but still don’t start with Z like a heathen. I realize the interest is to see how different Funimation’s rebranding of Z is but might as well Funimation go out its way to censor sexual and religious content

Easiest simplest way is to get the Blue Rays but I’d recommend getting the Pioneer sets or Rock the Dragon Boxset for the 53 episodes and then the Funimation singles if that’s possible. The only thing the remastered dub has going for it is “You can now watch this with the superior Kikuchi music” but since you’re wanting to watch with the American soundtrack might as well watch it to as close as its original presentation as possible. So edited Ocean/Saban/Funi dub for episodes 1-53 and original in house dub for episodes 54-276 (really 277 but Funi was weird about numbers)
Thanks man, the Singles would be the ones, starting with the Ginyu saga?::
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na/dbz-tv/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 pm Watch Dragon Ball first. I realize you’ve seen the anime in your own language but still don’t start with Z like a heathen. I realize the interest is to see how different Funimation’s rebranding of Z is but might as well Funimation go out its way to censor sexual and religious content

Correct. You’ll want to get those dvds to get the closest experience to how American kids would have experienced the show growing up with it on Toonami in the late 90s/early 2000s

There’s zero reason to get the remastered dub outside of convenience if you have no interest in the English audio with the Japanese score

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Correct. You’ll want to get those dvds to get the closest experience to how American kids would have experienced the show growing up with it on Toonami in the late 90s/early 2000s

There’s zero reason to get the remastered dub outside of convenience if you have no interest in the English audio with the Japanese score
Yes, because really after the Freeza arc they stopped with the partial redubbing on the remastered version so it's more or less the exact same as what is on the singles barring the wholesale narration change from Dale Kelly to Kyle Herbert and music placement.

If you want the untouched dub version (awful though it may be) like what aired on Toonami in it's entirety, however. The singles are really the only option to go with along those lines.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:28 pm

There was some redubbing after Freeza just a lot less

Vegeta’s dialog was still redubbed for Garlic Jr

Maron and I think two of the Spice Boys were redubbed for some reason (consistency with some video games, I think?)

Kyle Hebert redubbed all the narration where Dale Kelly was narrator (for at least tv) until the Otherworld Tournament saga.

And I think the Otherworld Tournament Announcer was also redubbed to match his video game VA.

So technically all redubbing stopped starting with the Great Saiyaman stuff.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:28 pm There was some redubbing after Freeza just a lot less

Vegeta’s dialog was still redubbed for Garlic Jr

Maron and I think two of the Spice Boys were redubbed for some reason (consistency with some video games, I think?)

Kyle Hebert redubbed all the narration where Dale Kelly was narrator (for at least tv) until the Otherworld Tournament saga.

And I think the Otherworld Tournament Announcer was also redubbed to match his video game VA.

So technically all redubbing stopped starting with the Great Saiyaman stuff.
Yeah, they still continued on with the redubbing on the remastered version up to a certain point but it was still very patchwork in terms of what was altered and to a much lesser extent when compared to the Ginyu and Freeza episodes that contained the vast majority of the changes. I know Sabat redubbed Vegeta through his brief appearances in the Garlic Jr. arc up until Trunks first appears when it then goes back to being his old god awful Drummond impression performance again before he really started improving.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:37 pm

if you have a VCR you could always get the edited boxsets for Ginyu-Buu, that would be the closest most kids who saw DBZ on TV would have :D

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:13 am

This is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day I can't choose what you can and can't enjoy. :thumbup:

- For OG Dragon Ball. No. Funi's English dub is not too good. This is a relic of Funi's early days and it has aged badly. The scripts at times are very off the mark, and at best sort of on par with the original. The voice talent wasn't there yet, and the directing is iffy, the works. I can not recommend watching it in English in good faith. Stick with the subs.

- For Z, I know there are some who will spit on my grave for saying it, but I will say much the same for it too. Funi's in-house Z dub is not good, and also has not aged well at all today. If you absolutely must watch the Z-part of the DB story in English, please turn to Kai. You will be getting a far better viewing experience with it. Kai is a huge leap forward, and is much closer to the original Japanese dialogue. The voice actors are much more matured in their respective roles and deliver better performances, the directing is better too.

- For GT, I can't really say, because I never finished GT and never bothered to switch away from subs, so somebody else could answer your question to weather it's decent or not.

- For Super, I personally don't prefer one over the other. I think sub and dubbed are both good ways to watch. So just explore both and see what you like better.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:31 am

Guys, the OP made it prettttty clear he’s watching the Funi dub because he’s wanting to see how different it was. I don’t think he’s looking for the faithful dubs he has the dub in his own language for that

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:13 am This is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day I can't choose what you can and can't enjoy. :thumbup:

- For OG Dragon Ball. No. Funi's English dub is not too good. This is a relic of Funi's early days and it has aged badly. The scripts at times are very off the mark, and at best sort of on par with the original. The voice talent wasn't there yet, and the directing is iffy, the works. I can not recommend watching it in English in good faith. Stick with the subs.

- For Z, I know there are some who will spit on my grave for saying it, but I will say much the same for it too. Funi's in-house Z dub is not good, and also has not aged well at all today. If you absolutely must watch the Z-part of the DB story in English, please turn to Kai. You will be getting a far better viewing experience with it. Kai is a huge leap forward, and is much closer to the original Japanese dialogue. The voice actors are much more matured in their respective roles and deliver better performances, the directing is better too.

- For GT, I can't really say, because I never finished GT and never bothered to switch away from subs, so somebody else could answer your question to weather it's decent or not.

- For Super, I personally don't prefer one over the other. I think sub and dubbed are both good ways to watch. So just explore both and see what you like better.
Kaboom wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 pm Question: What is the best way to watch English-dubbed Dragon Ball?

I definitely don't agree with this at all, in order for something to be "objectively bad" it has to be awful on like a technical level or something like that, and the English dubs of DB certainly aren't in that aspect. I think there is plenty to gain from watching it, as it's interesting to see the changes they made and even if you don't like it, it'll at least make you appreciate the original more. So whether they are truly awful comes down to personal opinion, it's not a measurable fact really. Like it or not, some people genuinely like the voice-acting and don't mind the changes, and I believe we should allow OP to form their own opinion on the dub rather then flat out telling them not to see it just because of one's own personal hatred towards the dub.

I actually find Kai to be worse then the original dub, mostly because of how much stuff it cuts out and because of how atrocious the re-animated scenes look, and I personally didn't find the voice-acting to be that much better then the original. I'm aware i'm probably in the minority on that one, but I certainly wouldn't recommend Kai for one's first exposure to DBZ in English, I say try the original dub first and if that doesn't do it for you, maybe then try Kai and see if that works for you any better.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 am

If you are absolutely dead-set on watching Funimation's English dub of Dragon Ball...

Pick up any release of OG DB, then pick up all the original DVD singles of DBZ. Don't watch GT; the Funi dub of GT is the one that crosses the line just a little too much for anyone, even the most devoted dub-fan, to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, the Funi dubs of DB and Z are awful in general, but if you simply must watch that version, watch the DVD singles version of Z. The "Season" and other later releases redub parts really badly, the sound mixing is awful, the Faulconer score was accidentally rearranged to an early, unfinished arrangement in many episodes, some lines are missing, some extra lines were accidentally added, wrong takes were used all over the place, any voice filters (such as one of Freeza's forms, Yakon, and the Great Apes all being pitched down) were forgotten, and the partial redubbing creates an awful, jarring feeling between the 1999 recordings and the 2008 redubs that lasts ages.

And, even though the 2005 redub of the first 67 (or TV 53) episodes was uncut, the actual dubbing was fucking atrocious, and doesn't gel at all with the original dub of episodes 68+ (or TV 54+).

If you're willing to compromise slightly...

Seek out and watch the Ocean dubs instead.

The Ocean/Blue Water dub of OG DB has some iffy castings, but the scripts are better (not just in terms of accuracy, but the actual dialogue is better-written), the censorship is less obnoxious (there is more of it, but Funimation's "uncut" dub is pretty heavily censored in many places, going as far as to rename the character Bra to Bulla in Z and GT. But Ocean has the advantage here of being able to edit the footage, and being better at writing this stuff anyway, so the censorship is just executed way better), and even though the acting isn't great, it's generally better-performed than Funi's dub of DB (partially by virtue of having a reasonably large casting pool, partially by virtue of just being a more professional production overall with better actors and directors at their disposal).

The Ocean dub of Z 123-291 (or TV 108-276) uses the same scripts as Funimation used, but with infinitely better actors, and a less obnoxious score. It's kind of an evolution of the original 67/53 episodes from the DVD singles that used the same cast, in that it's all the same actors but with a score that evokes a tone closer to the original Japanese version.
Granted, watching this way, you will still have to watch Funi's in-house dub of episodes 68-122 (or TV 54-107), but you'll have the better acting of the Ocean cast for the vast majority of the run (222 episodes out of 276).

And, of course, you can actually watch GT, since the Ocean/Blue Water dub of GT is fine. In fact, a lot of the Ocean dub of GT is uncut (there wasn't much in GT that warranted censoring, and most of the very little that did need censoring, they just wrote around in dialogue, in ways that you'd never notice without A/B comparing with the Japanese), with some of the most faithful, well-written dub scripts in the franchise.

If you're willing to go all the way for the best experience, though...

Just watch subtitled in Japanese. The characters are more interesting, the writing is better, there's actual consistency through the run, the jokes are funnier, there's no censorship, etc. It's just a fundamentally better experience.
FWIW, I would usually say dubs are fine, but Dragon Ball is a unique case where all the "uncut" dubs are just the 4Kids-style TV dubs with some additional dialogue recording to make it sync up to the uncut footage. Argaubly Kai is less bad in this regard, but it's still loaded up with shit like "Bulla" instead of "Bra", Vegeta blowing up a guy's truck only for the guy to shout "DUDE, MAH TRUCK!" to indicate to kids that he's still alive, or Bulma making a joke about knowing kung-fu instead of rather scaredly accusing Popo of taking her to Yunzabit to do something "Improper".
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 am. I think there is plenty to gain from watching it, as it's interesting to see the changes they made and even if you don't like it, it'll at least make you appreciate the original more.
Which is what the OP was asking for :P to see something different not a faithful dub in English.

I actually find Kai to be worse then the original dub, mostly because of how much stuff it cuts out and because of how atrocious the re-animated scenes look,
I find Kai worse than Z to the point a superior English dub doesn’t fix it. Kai was poorly edited and had those atrocious eyesore redrawn scene
and I personally didn't find the voice-acting to be that much better then the original.
To a point. Kai’s voice acting is significantly better than those episodes dubbed in 1999 and 2000. I don’t think its that much better than what we got in the Buu era or the Ultimate Uncut redub.

A big problem is the replacing of the entire cast (original english dub) or having the now experienced cast dub the first 67 episodes last and then only partially “fix” the issues from later creates a really broken product. No matter how you watch there is a significant drop in quality starting with “The Captain Ginyu saga” and it doesn’t get back to par until Great Saiyaman

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:05 am

I do realize that FUNi's Kai dub (more 1.0 than TFC) is not 100% perfect though really what dub ever is, much like Kai as a product itself is flawed from a production standpoint as mentioned above with all the redrawn scenes and music inconsistency because of the Yamamoto scandal and what have you. In general aside from the DBZ movies 1-3 dubs produced by Pioneer back in the day this has been by far the closest to a legit accurate, faithful dub of the series we've ever had over here, because with how absolutely god awful the old Z dub was particularly during the Freeza arc when the in house cast first took over back in 1999 primarily from a voice and script standpoint it at least gives me a watchable (albeit flawed) version of the series. I'm not saying Kai's dub is flawless and devoid of issues including not going far enough with the recasting, but it's indeed a massive step up from what came before.

Z proper on the other hand...it's subbed on my Dragon Boxes all the way.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 am, edited 7 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am

Yeah Kai is FAR from perfect, but from an English perspective, I'd take the improved performance over Z's dub which is often LAUGHABLY bad.