Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VDenter

Re: Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Post by VDenter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 am

The english dub of DB/DBZ and GT is objectively bad. I wouldn't bother

Super and Kai are just mediocre. Why even waste your time? Just watch the original.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:55 am

VDenter wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 am The english dub of DB/DBZ and GT is objectively bad. I wouldn't bother

Super and Kai are just mediocre. Why even waste your time? Just watch the original.
You're missing the point of why the OP is wanting to watch them in the first place.

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks for everything guys.

I'm going to try to go after the Rock the Dragon version and the Singles, as many said, I'm looking for the dub in English out of curiosity, I already know the original material for having read the manga and seeing the series in my language, I want to compare, and English dub is the most different and famous in that, for having a different soundtrack and dialogues.

I recommend watching the Brazilian version if you can, it is very good and it is based on the original, many people from outside have already praised this version, the cast matches a lot and the acting is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfiGitw08Ak

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm

I think for your purposes, this would be the only context in which I would ever advise seeing the original English dub. There's not much point in seeing the most faithful stuff if you're already familiar with it and your whole intent is to see how weird and different the old dub is. I actually think if you're already familiar with how the series is "meant to be", it does serve as an interesting historical peek at the mindset of American television producers whose sole intent was to appeal to young boys in the 90's and more or less trick the audience into thinking it wasn't a Japanese product... if that's your interest. It's not quite to Speed Racer levels, but it does border on being a different series that just so happens to more or less use the same visual queues as a series called Dragon Ball.

Otherwise, Kaboom pretty much sums it up.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:55 pm

aleksandrored post_id wrote: I recommend watching the Brazilian version if you can, it is very good and it is based on the original, many people from outside have already praised this version, the cast matches a lot and the acting is good.

I’ve always wanted to see the series in another language besides English or Japanese

Preferably with subtitles though

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:55 pm
aleksandrored post_id wrote: I recommend watching the Brazilian version if you can, it is very good and it is based on the original, many people from outside have already praised this version, the cast matches a lot and the acting is good.

I’ve always wanted to see the series in another language besides English or Japanese

Preferably with subtitles though
The Brazilian version is very good, can attest to that, but it's been a while since I last watched in Portuguese.

Brazil has a history of dubbing so we have a lot of good talent and we are used to watching animes and consuming Japanese media in general here since the 80's from arcade cabinets to anime, kinda hard to find a subtitle in English, I never saw one but I mostly watch online, maybe Crunchyroll has it!

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Watch either Remastered Funimation, or Kai uncut. And please don't skip Dragon Ball.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am Yeah Kai is FAR from perfect, but from an English perspective, I'd take the improved performance over Z's dub which is often LAUGHABLY bad.
I'll take laughably bad over hollow, which is what a lot of the voice-acting in Kai comes off as to me, too often it feels like the VAs are so focused on being faithful to the original that it sounds like they are just reading lines straight from cue cards.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:18 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am Yeah Kai is FAR from perfect, but from an English perspective, I'd take the improved performance over Z's dub which is often LAUGHABLY bad.
I'll take laughably bad over hollow, which is what a lot of the voice-acting in Kai comes off as to me, too often it feels like the VAs are so focused on being faithful to the original that it sounds like they are just reading lines straight from cue cards.

I really don’t get where you got this from?

The dialog in Kai’s dub is hardly a word for word translation of the Simmons subtitles. It’s still adapted to fit an English speaking script. Often times just plain recycling dialog from the old dub in places where the old dub wasn’t tooo inaccurate

Besides, other than Ayres somewhat emulate Ryusei none of the Funi actors sound like they’re basing their performances off the Japanese voice. They basically all sound the same since circa 2001

I can understand not thinking much of their performances even in Kai. I cannot understand thinking they sounded more authentic in the old dub. Especially on Namek and during the Android saga
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm Watch either Remastered Funimation, or Kai uncut. And please don't skip Dragon Ball.
Kai uncut uses the Japanese score. He specified he wants to watch with the American score. I cannot fucking stand 98 percent of the Team Faulconer Score but it is what he asked for.

And I maintain unless you want to hear the English actors dubbed against the Japanese score (which admittedly is the only way I can watch the Z dub) there really is no good reason to watch the remastered dub as it does a piss poor job of what it is supposed to do (maintain consistency with the episodes dubbed in 2005 thar chronologically go first)

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:55 am
VDenter wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 am The english dub of DB/DBZ and GT is objectively bad. I wouldn't bother

You're missing the point of why the OP is wanting to watch them in the first place.
I understand his point but it seems like such huge investment with potentially little to no gain. I mean watching a few clips on youtube is fine for this. There is no need to spend any money or a huge amount of time on crap.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 pm

aleksandrored wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am I'm going to try to go after the Rock the Dragon version and the Singles
Just go with the original singles. Should be a lot cheaper than the RTD set. RTD is way overpriced these days.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 pm RTD is way overpriced these days.
Seriously... I've seen it go for well over the price of all the R1 Dragon Boxes combined.

I guess some people just REALLY loved the Saban dub :lol: .

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:55 am I'm going to try to go after the Rock the Dragon version and the Singles
Just go with the original singles. Should be a lot cheaper than the RTD set. RTD is way overpriced these days.
It really is. The single box sets tend to pop up on eBay now and then for around $60-80, which is still a lot considering your getting edited dub only discs and one box set only covers one of the two arcs (Saiyan or early Namek) but it's much better than the $400+ you'd have to pay for Rock the Dragon. The Pioneer movie box set can also be found cheap enough (<$20) if your willing to look for deals and it's a better option than what you get on Rock the Dragon, which is the edited versions and dub only.

As regards the thread title, the Japanese version is recommended if you've never seen it, but otherwise the dubs are very flawed but the Kai, Super and Blue Water dubs are quite decent, Ocean Z and the movie dubs are also ok. Otherwise best to avoid remastered Z and Funi GT.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm

I'd say turn your anime senses off before watching. Can be more enjoyable that way.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Damned wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Seriously... I've seen it go for well over the price of all the R1 Dragon Boxes combined.

Well, that is definitely true; a lot of people legit really like the Saban dub...

But mostly, it's just because, for some fucking reason, Funi decided that their one and only release of the original version of the show that fans actually grew up on would be a limited-edition box set with rather low production numbers.

I really don't get it. If that set was still in print (or, better yet, if they'd done it the way they originally planned to do it), there wouldn't be all this hassle about having to jump through a ton of hoops to watch the version of the show that was actually on TV back in the day.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Well, that is definitely true; a lot of people legit really like the Saban dub...

But mostly, it's just because, for some fucking reason, Funi decided that their one and only release of the original version of the show that fans actually grew up on would be a limited-edition box set with rather low production numbers.

I really don't get it. If that set was still in print (or, better yet, if they'd done it the way they originally planned to do it), there wouldn't be all this hassle about having to jump through a ton of hoops to watch the version of the show that was actually on TV back in the day.
Even more stunning and equally confusing is the fact that the Rock the Dragon set came out in the middle of the year back in 2013, when it really would have made more sense if FUNi had done the release a few years later for the 20th anniversary of said dub.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Even more stunning and equally confusing is the fact that the Rock the Dragon set came out in the middle of the year back in 2013, when it really would have made more sense if FUNi had done the release a few years later for the 20th anniversary of said dub.
It doesn’t help (like I think Robo and I have argued about this before) it utterly fails at whatever is trying to do

If it wants to be a definitive release of the show in syndication it probably should have Tree of Might as a 3 parter

If it wanted to be based on the Toonami broadcast (which is what it claims to be in its marketing and Funimation’s brand manager who pushed for this to be released even tried get the Toonami bumpers from Cartoon Network) then it should have had all 276 edited episodes and all edited movies and specials

If it wanted to be the portion of the dub that used “Rock the Dragon” it should have covered up to Goku’s Alive?

And if it wanted to be the Ocean dub under Funimation’s regime it really should have used the uncut films

Instead it just a half ass nostalgic cash in instead of a full ass nostalgic cash in

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

It doesn’t help (like I think Robo and I have argued about this before) it utterly fails at whatever is trying to do

If it wants to be a definitive release of the show in syndication it probably should have Tree of Might as a 3 parter

If it wanted to be based on the Toonami broadcast (which is what it claims to be in its marketing and Funimation’s brand manager who pushed for this to be released even tried get the Toonami bumpers from Cartoon Network) then it should have had all 276 edited episodes and all edited movies and specials

If it wanted to be the portion of the dub that used “Rock the Dragon” it should have covered up to Goku’s Alive?

And if it wanted to be the Ocean dub under Funimation’s regime it really should have used the uncut films

Instead it just a half ass nostalgic cash in instead of a full ass nostalgic cash in
It's just Funimation incompetence and greed showing in full it seems.