Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Best way to watch the English Dub for the first time?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm
Well, that is definitely true; a lot of people legit really like the Saban dub...

But mostly, it's just because, for some fucking reason, Funi decided that their one and only release of the original version of the show that fans actually grew up on would be a limited-edition box set with rather low production numbers.

I really don't get it. If that set was still in print (or, better yet, if they'd done it the way they originally planned to do it), there wouldn't be all this hassle about having to jump through a ton of hoops to watch the version of the show that was actually on TV back in the day.
Even more stunning and equally confusing is the fact that the Rock the Dragon set came out in the middle of the year back in 2013, when it really would have made more sense if FUNi had done the release a few years later for the 20th anniversary of said dub.
It doesn’t help (like I think Robo and I have argued about this before) it utterly fails at whatever is trying to do

If it wants to be a definitive release of the show in syndication it probably should have Tree of Might as a 3 parter

If it wanted to be based on the Toonami broadcast (which is what it claims to be in its marketing and Funimation’s brand manager who pushed for this to be released even tried get the Toonami bumpers from Cartoon Network) then it should have had all 276 edited episodes and all edited movies and specials

If it wanted to be the portion of the dub that used “Rock the Dragon” it should have covered up to Goku’s Alive?

And if it wanted to be the Ocean dub under Funimation’s regime it really should have used the uncut films

Instead it just a half ass nostalgic cash in instead of a full ass nostalgic cash in
Exactly, a full on release of the edited versions of the Saiyan and Namek episodes with the Ocean cast and the rest with the OG TV version of the in house dub and the films altogether would've been a much better thing as that better covers the group who would buy it, as in those nostalgic fans who were kids and watched the show on Toonami back in the late '90/early 2000's.

Of course, they just released the first 53 of the '96-'98 run and edited versions of Z movies 1-3 but left it there so the release really was a letdown in that respect.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:06 pm

How I think you watch the series dubbed.

The OG Dragon Ball first. I personally think it is a fine dub. Not perfect but overall a better start with Funi's in house then DBZ Season 3 did.

Then watch DBZ Kai Dubbed. As much as I like the original series dubbed (minus season 3), Kai is when the actors feel more refined.

After that, then you can choose GT or Super. GT is a rough, mostly since they started to dub the first episode a mish mash. Super, like Kai, the actors have gotten better and it feels pretty good despite the some weird things they did like make Toppo's name Top.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 am

Does everyone just like ignore what the OP asked for or?

if he wanted to watch a good dub he’d watch the Brazilian Portuguese dub he grew up on.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 am Does everyone just like ignore when the OP says he wants to watch Z with the American soundtrack?

Everyone’s just like ignoring that if he wanted to watch a good dub he’d watch the Portugal dub he grew up on.
I think he's Brazilian, the Portuguese dub is awful :lol:
Last edited by The Bastard. on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 am

The Bastard. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 am Does everyone just like ignore when the OP says he wants to watch Z with the American soundtrack?

Everyone’s just like ignoring that if he wanted to watch a good dub he’d watch the Portugal dub he grew up on.
I thinks he's Brazilian, the Portuguese dub is awful :lol:

Oops. I fixed it thanks lmao

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 am

I thinks he's Brazilian, the Portuguese dub is awful :lol:

Oops. I fixed it thanks lmao
All good haha, for foreigners it probably sounds the same to be fair, but there are some crazy differences in quality

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 am

LOL the dub where certain characters are opera singers for some reason and have weird voices, that thing is such a riot to listen to. :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0sL7nVZ3Fw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxo63zGRnOo
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 am

Okay, okay, point taken. Your entire goal here is to check out the English dub after already watching a good dub, because you want to compare the two out of curiosity. Fair enough, I can appreciate the "FOR SCIENCE" angle at work here.

So in that case, my suggestion on how to watch the English dub is "with the subtitles on." That way you can get a better taste for what was changed along the way. Also, I'd implore you to stick to the English tracks from newer home releases that use the correct Kikuchi score, so you don't inadvertently die of blood loss from the ears due to overdosing on the awful replacement BGM on top of the awful replacement script.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:00 am

Kaboom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 am Also, I'd implore you to stick to the English tracks from newer home releases that use the correct Kikuchi score, so you don't inadvertently die of blood loss from the ears due to overdosing on the awful replacement BGM on top of the awful replacement script.
But he literally asked to watch with the American soundtrack.

I mean, I agree 99 percent of the Faulconer music could be tried as a war crime against humanity, and I maintain if you’re going to watch the English dub watch with the Kikuchi score (not just because its 10000x better on the ears but it makes a more consistent viewing experience with Dragon Ball) but the OP wants to get the English dub at it’s most dubbiest

He’s been warned what he’s signing up for by watching the English dub with the American replacement music. No one here is liable for paying for his inevitable therapy

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:19 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 am

LOL the dub where certain characters are opera singers for some reason and have weird voices, that thing is such a riot to listen to. :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0sL7nVZ3Fw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxo63zGRnOo
This is too good, Ginyu is the best ever lmao, what the fuck is going on with this dub

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am

No guys, in my country we had brazilian dub and not Portguesa dub, the dub in my country was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px5IbDCeo-A

The Brazilian dub is It's one of the best :D

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am

aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am No guys, in my country we had brazilian dub and not Portguesa dub, the dub in my country was this:

Did you ever get around to watching the American dub?

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am
aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am No guys, in my country we had brazilian dub and not Portguesa dub, the dub in my country was this:

Did you ever get around to watching the American dub?
Yes, I was able to watch it, I found it very interesting, some moments like Goku turning into SSJ and SSJ3 I thought it was really cool, I thought it was really inferior to the original, but I think it is an anime of its time and we should understand, as well as other animes that had inferior dubs like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon The Movie, One Piece and etc... in the case of DBZ I found it interesting to see the changes, now if it's to see the serious anime I would see the japanese version.

A doubt I have, to see the Japanese version, is Dragon Box the best way? I see that DBZ's home video releases have a lot of controversy, in relation to colors, image, 4:3 and 16:9, I'm in doubt which version is better, I found the singles very good in quality in general, it would be a good option too ?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 am

aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 am [

A doubt I have, to see the Japanese version, is Dragon Box the best way? I see that DBZ's home video releases have a lot of controversy, in relation to colors, image, 4:3 and 16:9, I'm in doubt which version is better, I found the singles very good in quality in general, it would be a good option too ?
As fas as releases by FUNimation the Dragon Box is the best way to watch the Japanese version of Z. If you can’t get a hold of those the steelbook season sets are probably the next best bet.
The singles and level sets are incomplete. The DVD and Blue-Ray season sets are crap.

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 am

As fas as releases by FUNimation the Dragon Box is the best way to watch the Japanese version of Z. If you can’t get a hold of those the steelbook season sets are probably the next best bet.
The singles and level sets are incomplete. The DVD and Blue-Ray season sets are crap.
Thank you very much for the recommendation.

What do you mean the Singles are incomplete? from what I saw they covered the entire Z series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am

aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am

What do you mean the Singles are incomplete? from what I saw they covered the entire Z series.
For the Japanese version Funimation only released episode 1-27 and 68-291 on singles. When FUNimation started releasing the Japanese version in 2000 they couldn’t release the first 67 episodes because of prior contracts with Pioneer. So they just started with episode 68. After Pioneer’s home video rights to the Saiyan and Namek saga expired in 2003 FUNimation went back to redub those episodes and started releasing the first 67 episodes in Japanese and in their new uncut dub in 2005. For whatever reason Funimation cancelled those dvds before finishing their release in favor of the Orange Bricks. Making the Orange bricks the first time anyone could legally own episode 28-67 in Japanese.

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am

For the Japanese version Funimation only released episode 1-27 and 68-291 on singles. When FUNimation started releasing the Japanese version in 2000 they couldn’t release the first 67 episodes because of prior contracts with Pioneer. So they just started with episode 68. After Pioneer’s home video rights to the Saiyan and Namek saga expired in 2003 FUNimation went back to redub those episodes and started releasing the first 67 episodes in Japanese and in their new uncut dub in 2005. For whatever reason Funimation cancelled those dvds before finishing their release in favor of the Orange Bricks. Making the Orange bricks the first time anyone could legally own episode 28-67 in Japanese.
Got it, thanks so much for the explanation.

One more question (I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with the questions) do you think the singles are good? I mean, in the sense of image quality, sound, colors, aspect ratio, those things.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:13 pm

From the bits i've seen that's actually one of the better foreign dubs out there along with the Latin American/Spanish dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:20 am

aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

One more question (I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with the questions) do you think the singles are good? I mean, in the sense of image quality, sound, colors, aspect ratio, those things.
I haven’t watched any of the singles since at least 2003 but I know the aspect ratio 4:3 is correct. From what I understand the quality is a bit dated but better than theorange bricks at least

aleksandrored

Post by aleksandrored » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:53 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:20 am
aleksandrored wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

I haven’t watched any of the singles since at least 2003 but I know the aspect ratio 4:3 is correct. From what I understand the quality is a bit dated but better than theorange bricks at least
Thank you very much for the information.