Myth - "Funimation didn't acquire film masters of DBZ until 2008"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSGSWarrior

Re: Myth - "Funimation didn't acquire film masters of DBZ until 2008"

Post by SSGSWarrior » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Wow, hats off to Funimation then cause they did a heck of a great job with what Toei gave them before 2008.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Re: Myth - "Funimation didn't acquire film masters of DBZ until 2008"

Post by Lightningexpose » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:19 am
Lightningexpose wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 am So, I actually have evidence right now that FUNimation did indeed receive 16mm film for all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball. However, they had disposed of it all.

The part of the evidence I can show to you right now is insufficient so you'll have to wait a bit. Once I can show the full evidence I'll post here.
That's interesting. Do you know if they're getting new masters to work with, or not every episode being destroyed?
When I say disposed of it, I don’t mean destroyed. Who knows maybe some were destroyed. But basically they offloaded it from their storage and whatnot is what I meant.

I said (they disposed it) “all” a bit thoughtlessly though. Maybe not all of it. Some they probably either didn’t manage to offload or intentionally kept around for reference, like that episode 41 reel.

I do know though that they received 16mm film reels of DB eps spanning across the whole series, but it’s no longer with them in its entirety.