What one change would you make to the franchise ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

What one change would you make to the franchise ?

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:26 pm

As the title suggests, if you were able to make one, and only one change to the franchise, what would it be ? You can make the change now so it impacts things moving forward, or you can somehow go back in time and make it in the past so everything we have now is altered with said change.

For me, I'd have the right holders mandate that the dragon box masters and Kanzenban volumes are the default releases of the anime and manga worldwide.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What one change would you make to the franchise ?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:28 pm

I'd make all future depictions of Gokuu into a Wife Guy. It would be so charming, cute and funny.

If we're talking about purely out of universe: extending production schedules on all future series so that the quality can be maintained at a high level.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Pioneer or Viz license Dragon Ball back in 1994

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:29 am

Have Funimation give a proper box-set style release for the DVD-single versions of the in-house dub complete with all of the Dale Kelly NEPs, no partial redubbing, no randomly removing voice-filters for no reason, no randomly re-doing parts of the soundtrack, no fake-ass widescreen bullshit, just proper 4:3 ratio with the Dragon Box masters(and have the box-set come with all of the original broadcast versions of the Ultimate Uncut episodes).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:18 pm

I just wish DB was given to a company that could've done a faithful adaptation and didn't crop the damn show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:26 pm

I'd love it if Discotek had the rights, and dubbing was outsourced to Okratron and Ocean for broadcast/streaming in the US/Australia and Canada/UK respectively, maybe Bang Zoom for Asian/African territories too. Also, for the home releases we'd get uncropped video with the raw masters, broadcast audio and multiple English dubs, so all kinds of fans could have their slice of cake.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DBPirate

Post by DBPirate » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:41 pm

Heavily push OG Dragon Ball in marketing (and products like video games) so that the Western audience is more aware that the series didn't start with Z. Maybe do a redub of the original anime in the west.

I suppose if I could do something like this in the past, I would've had Kai start with Pilaf rather than Raditz.
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 pm

^Right on the money. Of all things, heavily push Dragon Ball FROM THE REAL BEGINNING. A different attitude about OG Dragon Ball/Goku's early childhood aventures would result in a different attitude from a fanbase at large that is obsessed with the overly powered characters. It would give more viewers a different respect level for classic characters like Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and yes even Roshi, Bulma and Chi-Chi. This would also shine light on what I consider Dragon Ball's golden years (Tenshinhan Arc, King Piccolo Arc, Piccolo Jr. Arc). And the events and character arcs of the Saiyan and Freeza Arcs (also Dragon Ball's golden years) would pay off so more much for so many fans. Release their Dragon Boxes, make a Kai version (mainly with updated voice acting and dialogue, as the filler isn't too bad in the original Dragon Ball overall), push the Full Color Manga Volumes out.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:42 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 pmA different attitude about OG Dragon Ball/Goku's early childhood adventures would result in a different attitude from a fanbase at large that is obsessed with the overly powered characters.
Watching DB properly (from the beginning) would result in viewers seeing that there are great characters here, with equally great development. They'd see that there's more to DB than strong guys screaming and punching each other.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:13 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:42 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 pmA different attitude about OG Dragon Ball/Goku's early childhood adventures would result in a different attitude from a fanbase at large that is obsessed with the overly powered characters.
Watching DB properly (from the beginning) would result in viewers seeing that there are great characters here, with equally great development. They'd see that there's more to DB than strong guys screaming and punching each other.
Yeah! Strong kids screaming and punching each other. :lol:

But yeah, original Dragon Ball is a fun action/adventure series.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:44 am

Just give potential/rage boost to every human character in Majin Boo Arc to make it balanced. That is all...

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:20 am

I don't know if this counts but I hope Toriyama changes his mind about EoZ being the epilogue if only to have one final timeskip showing a Goku nearing the end of his life. What happens after his rematch with Uub? Does he have a final match against Vegeta like in DBO? I know this wouldn't be that important but I think it would be interesting to see an old man version of Goku no longer in his prime and coming to terms with his journey being over. He's already been killed twice so he wouldn't be afraid of death but a natural death is permanent and we don't know if he gets to keep his body in Other World to continue training.