GT Special question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

GT Special question

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm

I'm watching the FUNimation single and I never noticed how much clearer and cleaner the audio is, is this "Broadcast" audio. I know TOEI got rid of the masters, so it seems weird for this one special to have it (and at the very least not the Z specials).

Anyone know the story on this?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: GT Special question

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:26 pm

I believe it was said that the tape master copies of GT that Toei has contain high quality audio, including the special. Apparently they were kept with said audio intact unlike DB and Z.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 am

For some reason, they used the tape master of the GT special, which uses the high-quality audio. For the series, they used film scans that use optical audio.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Around the mid-'80s, Toei introduced their new film transfer system named "Fine Nega Video System" (hereinafter called FNVS) which transfers negative film masters directly to videotapes. A lot of anime series and films including DBZ movies were transferred with this system for home video releases, but when it comes to broadcast masters, it was mostly used for their live-action dramas at first, and anime shows were basically still mastered on film. In 1996, the Tokyo-based major TV stations stopped accepting film masters, so Toei switched all of their series including anime shows from film to video transferred with FNVS. Because of this, the original audio masters of GT have been preserved on such videotapes unlike the former two series. From what I was told by an ex-Fuji TV employee on Twitter, they were D-2 digital videotapes.

When Toei remastered GT for the Dragon Box, they probably forgot the existence of such a higher quality audio source, and they unfortunately used the optical soundtrack on film for all 64 episodes. They, however, used the D-2 videotape master only for the TV special for some reason. Maybe it's that they did not want to spend extra money for remastering an extra content, but considering that they remastered all the extras of DB and DBZ, it's highly possible that they lost the original film master of the GT special and had no choice but to use the D-2 videotape. As a result, ironically, only the TV special enjoys the higher sound quality. They could have noticed the difference in audio quality between the special and all the other episodes and combined the stereo audio from the videotapes with the remastered film footage, which did not happen.

"Hana no Asuka-gumi!" (1988) is one of the old series that luckily had its HQ audio preserved thanks to the existence of the videotape masters transferred with FNVS for the original broadcast:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:53 pm Around the mid-'80s, Toei introduced their new film transfer system named "Fine Nega Video System" (hereinafter called FNVS) which transfers negative film masters directly to videotapes. A lot of anime series and films including DBZ movies were transferred with this system for home video releases, but when it comes to broadcast masters, it was mostly used for their live-action dramas at first, and anime shows were basically still mastered on film. In 1996, the Tokyo-based major TV stations stopped accepting film masters, so Toei switched all of their series including anime shows from film to video transferred with FNVS. Because of this, the original audio masters of GT have been preserved on such videotapes unlike the former two series. From what I was told by an ex-Fuji TV employee on Twitter, they were D-2 digital videotapes.

When Toei remastered GT for the Dragon Box, they probably forgot the existence of such a higher quality audio source, and they unfortunately used the optical soundtrack on film for all 64 episodes. They, however, used the D-2 videotape master only for the TV special for some reason. Maybe it's that they did not want to spend extra money for remastering an extra content, but considering that they remastered all the extras of DB and DBZ, it's highly possible that they lost the original film master of the GT special and had no choice but to use the D-2 videotape. As a result, ironically, only the TV special enjoys the higher sound quality. They could have noticed the difference in audio quality between the special and all the other episodes and combined the stereo audio from the videotapes with the remastered film footage, which did not happen.

"Hana no Asuka-gumi!" (1988) is one of the old series that luckily had its HQ audio preserved thanks to the existence of the videotape masters transferred with FNVS for the original broadcast:
Huh! Thats pretty interesting! Thank you for the information :D

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:19 pm

Of course GT would be the one to get the best audio. GT also had the best singles release by Funimation, as it looked the closest to the Dragon Box and had the next episode previews. Of course it had to be GT lol

And I am one of those rare crazy people that liked GT (before it was slightly more cool to like it just because of the hate that Super gets from some circles), but I do wish that DB and Z got similar treatment.