DBZ Syndication era Affiliate Promos.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

DBZ Syndication era Affiliate Promos.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 pm

And no I do not mean the "Saban Kids Promos" I mean those that explicitly name the affiliate or network Dragon Ball Z ran in at the time. I have major interest in that era so I would LOVE you guys forever if you saw any.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBZ Syndication era Affiliate Promos.

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 pm And no I do not mean the "Saban Kids Promos" I mean those that explicitly name the affiliate or network Dragon Ball Z ran in at the time. I have major interest in that era so I would LOVE you guys forever if you saw any.
https://youtu.be/eWM6u64LEgo

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 pm And no I do not mean the "Saban Kids Promos" I mean those that explicitly name the affiliate or network Dragon Ball Z ran in at the time. I have major interest in that era so I would LOVE you guys forever if you saw any.
This one is from early namek, around 1997 for WB50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_KpUGn3Xw

I still want to find Season 1 syndication promos, or a VHS Recording of the show on it's original airing

I also wanna find those Saban Kids Network Promos they had for the show back then

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:31 pm

I still want to find Season 1 syndication promos, or a VHS Recording of the show on it's original airing

I also wanna find those Saban Kids Network Promos they had for the show back then
I'd also love to see tree of might related promo's and its 3 part format (really kick myself for not recording that)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 pm

There's this 1997 bumper that aired on FOX28 in Columbus, Ohio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9V8SdoQPNw

It's included on Rock the Dragon edition, but not the original Pioneer dvds

A youtuber also uploaded the Saban credits from a syndication recording of "Goku Strikes Back". There's someone talking over the credits, advertising another program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIKkHfZTME
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 pm

I'd also love to see tree of might related promo's and its 3 part format (really kick myself for not recording that)
Does it even exist?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:43 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Does it even exist?
I feel like there is a tape in some abandoned house or thriftstore of grandparents home somewhere waiting to be discovered

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Or, like, my garage.

I don’t have a working VCR anymore though; it shit the bed last time I tried to check something for someone here on the forum 😂. I’ll do it at some point. 🤷🏻‍♂️
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:16 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 pm Or, like, my garage.

I don’t have a working VCR anymore though; it shit the bed last time I tried to check something for someone here on the forum 😂. I’ll do it at some point. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I also haven't had a working VCR in a while. I have country-specific early 2000s recordings of the Namek Saga dub that I wish I could rewatch, or better yet, upload to the internet.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 pm Or, like, my garage.

I've got an old VCR in the garage that still works that I could send you if you want.

I still have a VCR/DVD player hooked up for the many obscure films that are only on VHS(and for any-time that I have to settle for getting one of those Funimation singles on tape for when the DVD is too pricey).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:34 am

*Sigh* You guys asked for it, and I'm going to give you guys what you want.

I'm just getting around to recording some of these tapes now, so keep your eyes peeled on this thread.

Somebody just tell me one thing...
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Arian wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:34 am *Sigh* You guys asked for it, and I'm going to give you guys what you want.

I'm just getting around to recording some of these tapes now, so keep your eyes peeled on this thread.

Somebody just tell me one thing...
What episodes you have? do you have the first two episodes broadcast?

And what station was it recorded?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:27 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:52 pmWhat episodes you have? do you have the first two episodes broadcast?

Excellent questions! I don't have every syndicated episode, but I have enough to gather all of the promos, bumpers, and whatnot.

And yes, I do have the first two episodes in their original form as well as the syndicated broadcast 3-part Tree of Might event (I was saving that as a surprise, but to heck with it).

They were recorded from Fox 31 WUHF-TV in Rochester, New York. They also aired the BLT dub of Dragon Ball of which I have some tapes of, just as a little fun fact.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Arian wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:27 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:52 pmWhat episodes you have? do you have the first two episodes broadcast?

Excellent questions! I don't have every syndicated episode, but I have enough to gather all of the promos, bumpers, and whatnot.

And yes, I do have the first two episodes in their original form as well as the syndicated broadcast 3-part Tree of Might event (I was saving that as a surprise, but to heck with it).

They were recorded from Fox 31 WUHF-TV in Rochester, New York. They also aired the BLT dub of Dragon Ball of which I have some tapes of, just as a little fun fact.
Wow, you have the three parter edit of Tree of Might!!! This has to be hands down one of the rarest things from the syndication broadcast because apparently said version was never reaired in that format after the one run seeing as all airings of Tree of Might i recall catching on Toonami as a kid were the movie length version.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Wow, you have the three parter edit of Tree of Might!!! This has to be hands down one of the rarest things from the syndication broadcast because apparently said version was never reaired in that format after the one run seeing as as all airings of Tree of Might i recall catching on Toonami as a kid were the movie length version.
Wow that's an awesome find! Any plans to upload that three-parter on the Internet Archive?
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 am

Wow, the BLT Dub too :0

I always asked myself if they had eyecatches too

And the three part tree of migth :0

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:04 am

Okay, guys. I'm still working on the DBZ compilation, trust me on that, but for now, have something I came across while digging through tapes.

It's the September 09, 1995 North American premiere of Dragon Ball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MBsgLQ4G3c

The tape label as well as the commercials say 1995, plus I found something quite "wonky" about the Shenron graphic that I have not seen in any other copy of the dub, so I have to assume this was the premiere recorded.

You'll also see that the ED as well as the FUNimation logo are different from their commonly seen counterparts.

As a bonus (though I guess not as highly regarded) is the same dub's premiere on Canadian cable television, YTV, in March of 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsME2Wcwy4

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 am

Interesting that there are different variations of the '95 dub; I'd assumed it'd aired a handful of times and then quickly disappeared. I wonder if they started with episode-specific ending footage, gave up for a generic montage and then replaced the old ones for consistency.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:09 am

Very cool how the ending was different. I missed it's run when it was on TV so this is cool to see!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:49 am

It’s from Curse of the Blood Rubies.