Just learned about the soushuusen manga release; can y’all vouch for it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Just learned about the soushuusen manga release; can y’all vouch for it?

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm

It sounds like something I might purchase (have never bought the manga), though I currently don’t have any reliable way to wire money overseas. Assuming at some point I rectify that, I have some questions:

The “official” price is around ¥600 per volume, which greatly surprised me given that it’s got twice the page count of a Kanzenban. What kind of quality should be expected? Except some of them are inexplicable pricier on Amazon Japan.

The Kanzenshuu article mentioned they included the color that Jump added. Is this just extra color that got added to pages that were already in color, or is it on all pages?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Just learned about the soushuusen manga release; can y’all vouch for it?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 am

Zestanor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm It sounds like something I might purchase (have never bought the manga), though I currently don’t have any reliable way to wire money overseas. Assuming at some point I rectify that, I have some questions:

The “official” price is around ¥600 per volume, which greatly surprised me given that it’s got twice the page count of a Kanzenban. What kind of quality should be expected? Except some of them are inexplicable pricier on Amazon Japan.

The Kanzenshuu article mentioned they included the color that Jump added. Is this just extra color that got added to pages that were already in color, or is it on all pages?
I have all the volumes and they're pretty cool. I also have some of the original jumps.

The quality is similar to the original jumps, but slightly thicker paper. The colors are pretty close but they were redone, and not the original coloring added to the original printing. These are basically beefed up Kanzenbans (they even have the redrawn title page and newer ending). Some of the side text differs from the original printings.

Overall I'd say it's a 95% "original" experience. The freebee's like stickers and posters are also appreciated. If you want to get a general idea, I'd get the best chapters volume. If features some colored pages (tho other are black and white *when they're colored in in the actual volumes*) but the build and paper are the same.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 am

I owned both these and the kanzenban, and while the bigger size is nice, the paper quality isn't that great and they get scuffed up pretty easily. I definitely preferred the smaller kanzenban for the paper quality and the fact that they are easier to carry around. I see the soshuhen often at Book Off (a secondhand shop in Japan). Just last week, I saw the entire set for less than $100 and it looked like it was in good condition (minus maybe the spines). You might be able to find a cheap price coming from Japan, but right now it's tough to ship packages. Good luck.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Here is a comparison I made

Image Image Image

Kanzenban scans to compare to this release (I dont have the Kanzenbans)
Image Image Image

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 pm

So when Toriyama/his colorist didn’t color in the sky/DB logo, Shonen Jump added color? My other question was about b/w and half color pages. Did the original publication add any color to those?

I guess they’re really only pushing the full color editions but this seems to me to be the definitive version. In Japanese of course.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Zestanor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 pm So when Toriyama/his colorist didn’t color in the sky/DB logo, Shonen Jump added color? My other question was about b/w and half color pages. Did the original publication add any color to those?

I guess they’re really only pushing the full color editions but this seems to me to be the definitive version. In Japanese of course.
No color was added to the black and white pages, the limited color.pages in not 100% sure on.

I think they wanted to punch it up a bit, but I'm not 100% sure. I really dig these outside of the revised ending

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:12 am

Zestanor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 pm So when Toriyama/his colorist didn’t color in the sky/DB logo, Shonen Jump added color?
You see this a lot in all kinds of manga: Tankobon releases of chapters that were originally printed in the magazine in color often especially have panel backgrounds and speech bubbles uncolored in the tankobon release despite being in color in the magazine. Colored backgrounds and especially colored speech bubbles and letters tends to look very muddy when reproduced in b/w, so the chapter is done without these things colored in at first, then everything gets copied and prepped for its later tankobon release, and then the final bits of coloring is done for the magazine version. The kanzenban was made with these prepped-for-tankobon versions of the chapter.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!