Favorite cover art

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Favorite cover art

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:31 am

Since we've had so many releases of Dragon Ball (Z,GT,Movies,Super etc) it has given us a lot of different variety in cover designs.

While I think the Dragon Boxes are up there I have begun to take a liking to the Ultimate Uncuts. The dark red does give it a more "hard core" look but the metallic paper gives it a nice touch

What's your favorite design?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Favorite cover art

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:37 am

The Kanzenban covers are by far my favorite pieces of DB art.

sskura

Post by sskura » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Yeah those sets have nice art. Captured the tone really well imo. The current blu ray sets have some of the worst art I think. They’re weirdly drawn and there’s too much happening plus the line art being as thick as it is feels off to me

For all their faults, I liked the orange brick covers a lot. Although having season 1 with vegeta instead of goku is odd

Special mention to the level sets (:cry:) which had nice covers too even though I didn’t like the writing/random effects in the background

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I have a soft spot for the UUE of Tree of Might.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:30 pm

sskura wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:11 pm
For all their faults, I liked the orange brick covers a lot. Although having season 1 with vegeta instead of goku is odd
[
Season One covers the Saiyan saga where Vegeta is the big bad and plus Vegeta used to be far more popular than Goku in the United States so it’s not surprising.

What I do find weird is that season 6 (The Cell Games) uses Super Saiyan Goku instead of Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and season 7 uses Piccolo instead of Great Saiyaman or Kid Trunks or Goten
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:31 am
While I think the Dragon Boxes are up there I have begun to take a liking to the Ultimate Uncuts. The dark red does give it a more "hard core" look but the metallic paper gives it a nice touch

What's your favorite design?
The UUE boxart is nice but what the hell was up with the obsession with dark red during this era? The OP, the ED, the title cards, the dvd covers.

Was the mental process red=blood we’re showing blood unlike our original Saban distributed episodes so lets shove how hardcore everything is?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 pm

I agree, I think it was in fact the more matrue "we aint your kids DBZ" feel they seemed to have tried to go for. But they are shiny so....I can be distracted by that :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:03 pm

yeah it's beyond weird that gohan was never on the orange bricks considering he was always a main character since his introduction and literally the main character (however briefly) at one point, you'd think he could get on a cover.... one of the a million reasons those dvds have rancid vibes.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm

First Spanish Dragon Ball Blu-Ray set, no question.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:47 am

Speaking as someone who has a great affinity for all things home video and physical media, especially as it pertains to Dragon Ball I love them all.

When I look at each cover I remember a time in the franchise's history, where I was at the time, the stories behind that release (as stated above the Ultimate Uncuts being a time when Funimation was pushing the show being more adult) etc.

If I had to choose one though, the Pioneer covers are classics though, I missed out on Rock the Dragon (another cover I love) so got them instead, delighted I did as they all look great.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am

The Ultimate Uncut dub never felt “adult” just edgy teenager who hated their parents.

The replacement score doesn’t make me want to punch children in the face at least.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:29 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am The Ultimate Uncut dub never felt “adult” just edgy teenager who hated their parents.

The replacement score doesn’t make me want to punch children in the face at least.
This is pretty hardcore :lol: Just found out I can do this
https://streamable.com/4q7n42
https://streamable.com/o5d2ru

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm First Spanish Dragon Ball Blu-Ray set, no question.

Ooh those do look nice.

Still waiting on Funimation to release Dragon Ball on Blue Ray

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:52 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm First Spanish Dragon Ball Blu-Ray set, no question.

Ooh those do look nice.

Still waiting on Funimation to release Dragon Ball on Blue Ray
Yeah, it'd be a nice convenience to have. The Selecta Vision boxes look amazing and really capture that era of the story, both in-universe and out.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am The Ultimate Uncut dub never felt “adult” just edgy teenager who hated their parents.

It was nice to see the original 53 episodes uncut finally.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:56 pm

It was nice to see the original 53 episodes uncut finally.
It was but the marketing for those episodes between the faux Japanese and the obsession with the color red was just sooooo cringe.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pmThe marketing for those episodes between the faux Japanese and the obsession with the color red was just sooooo cringe.
I never understood Funimation's obsession with trying to make DBZ something it wasn't. It comes off as fake and trying too hard, just present the show as is, it'll be successful regardless.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:03 pm

I quite like this one.

It's clearly temp art, and I wish we'd seen a more final version, but I like the feel of it.

Others already pointed out the Orange Brick DVDs had good art too; I also quite like the DB and GT season set art.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:53 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pmThe marketing for those episodes between the faux Japanese and the obsession with the color red was just sooooo cringe.
I never understood Funimation's obsession with trying to make DBZ something it wasn't. It comes off as fake and trying too hard, just present the show as is, it'll be successful regardless.
Funimation in that era, largely thanks to Barry Watson, didn't think an honest presentation would gel with kids. They thought kids would just shut off if there wasn't constant dialogue and music, hardcore/edgy scoring, constant jokes, etc.

Funimation changed a lot after Barry Watson left, partially thanks to people like Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel who really do respect and care about the Japanese version, and that's how we got the basically-faithful Kai dub that somewhat set the tone for their Dragon Ball dubbing to this day...
But, the west still has that original treatment hanging around, so you still get marketing that likes to appeal to the "hardcore"/"edgy" audience when they're trying to engage with nostalgia.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:29 pm

I second this :lol:

Whoever was behind the box art must've been intent on going that extra mile to make it special.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm

sskura wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:11 pm Yeah those sets have nice art. Captured the tone really well imo. The current blu ray sets have some of the worst art I think. They’re weirdly drawn and there’s too much happening plus the line art being as thick as it is feels off to me
Especially once you got all the volumes, you get that really nice panorama. I wonder if anyone has scanned / stitched them together to make a clean seamless image?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm

The Thai DVD release from Kudson has got the best cover designs.

ImageImage
ImageImage