Did FUNimation continue UUC production?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Did FUNimation continue UUC production?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I've been collecting the UUC run and just got two volumes, unlike the others. I'm not sure it's a bootleg, so I wanted to make its own thread just in case.

The cover is not holographic and the overall resolution seems to be lower. (click for full relsolution) Goku Held hostage

Next is the disc art. Goku held hostage is very much like the regular UUC but Gohans Trials is very much like later WB repressings (both discs were made at the same time)
The back of both discs are not burned and very much in line with the rest of the line

Now the thing that throws me off is that accoridng to both discs they were made May 5th 2009 (well into the Orange Bricks run *season 8 would of came out a few months back)

I know some discs get repressed, but from a canceled line right near the end of their biggest seller? Does anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did FUNimation continue UUC production?

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am

I know they did at least 38 episodes of it, since I've seen a recording of ep 38 from cartoon network. Chances are they did dub all 67 episodes, maybe even did a partial production of 1 more dvd. but they decided to just put everything out on the OB and didnt completely release the uue dvds

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am

dragonmagico wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am I know they did at least 38 episodes of it, since I've seen a recording of ep 38 from cartoon network. Chances are they did dub all 67 episodes, maybe even did a partial production of 1 more dvd. but they decided to just put everything out on the OB and didnt completely release the uue dvds
They did dub all 67 episodes which aired at least once all the way through Cartoon Network. Dvds were cancelled at Volume 9 at episode 27

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 am

These might be like those Latin American DVD singles that looked like Ultimate Uncut, but the video was Orange Bricks.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 am These might be like those Latin American DVD singles that looked like Ultimate Uncut, but the video was Orange Bricks.
That's what I initially feared but they're the same as the original release (Multiple languages, menus, and 4:3).

Does anyone have the Orange Brick Spanish versions? I remember seeing one at a gas station but don't recall the cover arts printed quality (if its similar to these)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 am These might be like those Latin American DVD singles that looked like Ultimate Uncut, but the video was Orange Bricks.
I've got two volumes of that release and no, these are not.

By the way, until now, I never noticed that the texts on the covers used Funi's character names instead of the Latin American counterparts (Yama/Enma-Sama, Piccolo/Pikoro) and there's some spelling errors like "tentacion" and orthographic mistakes such as the absences of the inverted question/exclamation marks.

Screencaps:
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Screencaps:
Thank you! Do you know if yours is authored around the same time? (2009)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm Thank you! Do you know if yours is authored around the same time? (2009)
No, it's authored in 2007.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:23 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm

By the way, until now, I never noticed that the texts on the covers used Funi's character names instead of the Latin American counterparts (Yama/Enma-Sama, Piccolo/Pikoro) and there's some spelling errors like "tentacion" and orthographic mistakes such as the absences of the inverted question/exclamation marks.

Screencaps:
I'm sorry to derail the conversation, but why is the Orange Brick remaster so inconsistent? That last screenshot would look perfectly fine if it wasn't cropped.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:23 pm I'm sorry to derail the conversation, but why is the Orange Brick remaster so inconsistent? That last screenshot would look perfectly fine if it wasn't cropped.
For the most part, the Orange Brick remaster is a perfectly fine scan of Funimation's perfectly fine film masters. The DNR does make it a little blurry, and the colours are sometimes a little blown out, but those aren't really serious issues, to be completely honest...

The problem is, Funi's automated dust/dirt fixing filter erased lines in several of the early seasons (the reason we didn't get the missing lines problems on the Blu-rays is because they had a team of engineers manually paint all the dirt/scratches/dust out manually), and there's a universal center-crop (which was done during the scanning process, so it's irreversible). If it wasn't for these two mistakes, the Orange Bricks would honestly be really good DVDs. But sadly, two errors like this can completely ruin a DVD release.

The Blu-rays addressed the line erasure by having a manual cleanup process, but they were still cropped, and they turned the DNR way up from just being a bit of a blur to being the utter destruction of all texture and detail in the image. IMO, they're even worse than the DVDs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:16 pm

The cancellation of UUC must've been very last minute as there was actually a trailer promoting Volume 10:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqUtoO ... onTrailers and it did apparently come out in Spanish:https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Prin ... 001C4ZQDO/

Also was looking through some old posts on here and found someone that apparently did tape all of the Ultimate Uncut episodes on Adult Swim including the ones that never got released on DVD:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8470&start=20 They were talking about putting them up online, unfortunately it looks like this user hasn't visited the site since last year so i've got no idea if they actually uploaded them or not.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku