Manga UK Releasing DBZ Blu-Rays and Steelbooks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Manga UK Releasing DBZ Blu-Rays and Steelbooks

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:15 am

Would Anime Limited have been able to afford Dragon Ball? Jerome said in his interview with Mike the series cost £6 a minute to license, which for Z alone would have been over £35,000. Getting new masters from TOEI plus the cost of scanning, colour correcting, authoring and packaging new DVD sets would have made that even more expensive. Manga UK had to start from somewhere, and any distributor would have been daunted by those costs.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:29 amThey did a fantastic job with the theatrical runs for Resurrection F and Broly, and are clearly making an effort with packaging for the new Z Blu-rays. I'd say they're doing the best they can with the resources they're given.
Yeah, I appreciate that Manga UK have been gradually putting more effort into their packaging. The art cards, posters and stickers they provided for the Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Broly were nice collectables and it's good to see that's a continuing trend with these new Blu-Rays and the Super Complete Series. Yeah the posting could have been handled better for the latter but you can't deny the thought they put into it's packaging with the art book and cards.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm

So is this release just the orange brick footage with all its flaws, but in 4:3? I have the Dragon Boxes, but I still have nostalgia for the Funimation soundtrack and can't bring myself to buy any of the crap that's out there. Unless this is closer to Dbox quality then the old 00s singles are probably still the best version for Funimation soundtrack.

(first post in over 5 years, god damn...)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Kid Trunks wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm So is this release just the orange brick footage with all its flaws, but in 4:3? I have the Dragon Boxes, but I still have nostalgia for the Funimation soundtrack and can't bring myself to buy any of the crap that's out there. Unless this is closer to Dbox quality then the old 00s singles are probably still the best version for Funimation soundtrack.

It's closer to the Blu-Ray Seasons but with a better colour grade. It's nothing remarkable, but it's easily the best Western release of the show, and purely on the 4:3 alone makes it the obvious pick over the Blu-Ray Seasons and the Orange Bricks of old.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:44 am

Kid Trunks wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm So is this release just the orange brick footage with all its flaws, but in 4:3? I have the Dragon Boxes, but I still have nostalgia for the Funimation soundtrack and can't bring myself to buy any of the crap that's out there. Unless this is closer to Dbox quality then the old 00s singles are probably still the best version for Funimation soundtrack.

The colours are a significant step up from both the orange bricks and Season BDs, although if you love the Dragon Box grade you may be disappointed.

The singles, despite taking up a lot more shelf space are the way to go for the Faulconer score because only they have the original placement.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Anyone in the UK get the standard edition? Curious to see what kind of slip boxes they used.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:19 am

CuppaKofe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 pm Anyone in the UK get the standard edition? Curious to see what kind of slip boxes they used.
Mine shipped on November 17th but sadly I haven't received it yet. From what I can tell these releases are using the same slip cases as Manga UK's Resurrection F Collector's Edition rather than the standard slipcovers they used for Super and the Double Features.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:46 am

Anyone get the Steelbooks from MangaUK? I was wondering if it's their own release with MangaUK logos, cuz in the promo pics it shows Funimation's

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am

CuppaKofe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 pm Anyone in the UK get the standard edition? Curious to see what kind of slip boxes they used.
I got it, it's the same kind as Broly. You can see it peeking out of the box in the third image on my Twitter.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 am

The Time Traveller wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am
I got it, it's the same kind as Broly. You can see it peeking out of the box in the third image on my Twitter.
The disc images are far better than Funi's.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:42 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:03 pm
bernhard90 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm I pre-order the Dbz Super collectors edition just a moment ago!
Same, did you get it from Anime-on-line.com? It's £125.99, it's like $150 everywhere else.
No, Zavvi. I live in the Netherlands so the only way to order this set is trough zavvi.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 am

Been watching these Blu-Rays and am in the middle of season two. I'd say despite the DNR, the colours are mostly well balanced, and the 4:3 framing is acceptable, if not always perfect. Only instance this far where it's been jarring for me so far was when Goku was training in the rocky wasteland after getting out of hospital and levitated that boulder into a position above himself and the top of his head was cropped out of the picture. Most of the time the cropping isn't noticeable, as it sometimes was in the 16:9 Blu-Rays, and quite often in the orange bricks.

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 pm

So I'm trying to buy their new releases on Amazon UK, but most of them are unavailable for me. So far, I only managed to order the first two seasons. I'm guessing it's because I live outside the UK. Is anyone else outside the UK having a similar problem?

I see that season 7, which releases today, is available to order, so I hope the other seasons will become available as well eventually.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 24, 2021 1:16 am

UP1 has all the seasons. There's also Anime-On-Line, which has 1-6, Zavvi has a few, including 8 and 9, season 7 can be purchased here. Also, for some reason Base only has season 1.

Strange you can't get them all on most major UK online retailers. This wasn't an issue with Manga's other releases thus far.

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am

@Dragon Ball Ireland, I just ordered season 7 on Amazon UK. I hope I can order the others there as well. I've never ordered from the sites you suggested before, so I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. So I'm gonna wait a while and see if they become available eventually. If not, I'll use another site.

Yeah, I don't understand why they're unavailable for me. I'm assuming people living inside the UK are not having this problem? Anyway, thanks for helping me. :thumbup:

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am

Is zavvi good? It has awful ratings here
Hellsing

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 am

The steelbooks are now available from Zavvi.

Season 1 is notably missing, although that's not unusual for Zavvi, as not all the standard Z seasons were listed originally. It also seems the standard BDs sold better, as most people I know who bought Manga UK's Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays went for that edition.

Either way this is great news because the steelbooks were originally Amazon exclusives.
Nosferatu93 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am Is zavvi good? It has awful ratings here
Sorry for the late response. They are hit or miss, I wouldn't recommend for pre-orders as I once pre-ordered a movie from them and it arrived 6 months after release date. If stuff is in stock they're mostly decent though, and they do a lot of sales.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 am The steelbooks are now available from Zavvi.

Season 1 is notably missing, although that's not unusual for Zavvi, as not all the standard Z seasons were listed originally. It also seems the standard BDs sold better, as most people I know who bought Manga UK's Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays went for that edition.

Either way this is great news because the steelbooks were originally Amazon exclusives.
Nosferatu93 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am Is zavvi good? It has awful ratings here
Sorry for the late response. They are hit or miss, I wouldn't recommend for pre-orders as I once pre-ordered a movie from them and it arrived 6 months after release date. If stuff is in stock they're mostly decent though, and they do a lot of sales.
That's a surprisingly good price considering what they went for on amazon.

I've had mixed experiences with Zavvi myself. Stuff usually turns up, although their communication can be a bit poor when it doesn't. Reminds me of when they used to be Virgin Megastore on the highstreet. I was desperately trying to track down a copy of Budokai 3 back in December 2004, and was ecstatic when I finally spotted it in Virgin Megastore.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:13 pm

Amazon is now showing Season 1 without the slipcover. Just a heads up for anyone that hasn't bought these as it may suggest the slips being discontinued.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:14 pm

All seasons except 2 and 4 are now £14.99 or under.

2 and 4 are less than £19.99 though.

A bargain if anyone just wants to own Dragon Ball Z in some form.

They work in region A players, and the packaging and physical extras are nice.

Can also confirm, as I know someone who bought all nine recently they still come with the slipcases.