Why isn't DBS Manga more advertised officially?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Why isn't DBS Manga more advertised officially?

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm very surprised how quiet the manga feels in grand scheme of things. This month we got a hype chapter with MUI making it's official debut outside of ToP, but many fans probably still aren't aware of it. We got an early chapter, but it wasn't really announced except for the release date quietly being put as 2 days earlier on MangaPlus.

It gets an official translation, but it still feels "obscure" in comparision to the anime's hype. I know it's not as easy to watch it like you would an episode, since it requires a bit more personal investment, but it's still an enjoyable thing to spend time with.

So, why isn't there any official Twitter or Youtube account doing countdowns to the next chapter while posting some fun facts on the side? Something from the west branches of Jump staff. You'd think a huge happenings like MUI would get hyped on Social Media, but if it weren't for the fans spreading the hype, most people wouldn't even be aware of it. It's weird.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why isn't DBS Manga more advertised officially?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Today's chapter wasn't really "released early" in that it's just that the current month's issue of V-Jump came out a couple days ahead of its normal 21st-of-the-month release date (presumably because of Respect for the Aged Day on the 21st, I guess? And that would bump it to Sunday the 20th, but V-Jump doesn't ever come out on Sundays, so it got bumped further to Saturday the 19th.)

There's a fair amount of promotion that all sources from the Dragon Ball Official Site:
This stuff does all indeed get shared on social media in Japan.
Xeogran wrote:I know it's not as easy to watch it like you would an episode, since it requires a bit more personal investment, but it's still an enjoyable thing to spend time with.
I don't understand this comment. Reading a manga chapter is exponentially easier than watching an anime episode, and it's far more widely and freely available than the anime episodes were.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Why isn't DBS Manga more advertised officially?

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:25 pm

And where is all the manga related merch? I remember a figure line being announced with manga panel references, can't find those anymore either.