I still don't get why FUNI never redubbed DBZ from start to finish

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

I still don't get why FUNI never redubbed DBZ from start to finish

Post by precita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 am

Yes there's Kai, but I do not understand why FUNI never did a re-dub of DBZ from start to finish since 2005 when they redubbed the first Saiyan and half the Namek arcs.

They're still releasing the old outdated dubs on DVDs. So we now have a mix of a 2005 dub of the Saiyan and first half of the Freeza arc, then the "Season 3" portion has a redubbed 2005-era Vegeta/Krillin voices, but still all the other voices are the same as 1999 and the same old dialogue. And then the Cell and Buu saga dubs are the same as they were back in the early 2000's.

So I don't get it. Why did they never redub the entire series from start to finish?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I still don't get why FUNI never redubbed DBZ from start to finish

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 am

Money. People (as in Joe Schmoe who grew up with the show on Toonami in the late 90s/early 2000s) like the dub, the Orange Bricks despite a shitty remastering and a half ass redub for season 3 still sold extremely well. Why put in the time and money to re-do something that’s already a big seller? It’s unfortunate that Funi didn’t at least do more than the bare minimum to fix the old dub (i.e mute all the cringe lines that were said when characters mouths aren’t moving, redub Goku’s dialog until at least the point he turns Super Saiyan, redub Vegeta through the Cell saga, redub Gohan until at least the Android saga etc etc) but them’s the breaks

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 am Money. People (as in Joe Schmoe who grew up with the show on Toonami in the late 90s/early 2000s) like the dub, the Orange Bricks despite a shitty remastering and a half ass redub for season 3 still sold extremely well. Why put in the time and money to re-do something that’s already a big seller? It’s unfortunate that Funi didn’t at least do more than the bare minimum to fix the old dub (i.e mute all the cringe lines that were said when characters mouths aren’t moving, redub Goku’s dialog until at least the point he turns Super Saiyan, redub Vegeta through the Cell saga, redub Gohan until at least the Android saga etc etc) but them’s the breaks
Unfortunately, the dub even with the small number of dialogue and voice changes in the remastered version is still as awful and inconsistent of a mess as it was back in 1999 especially with the 2004/2005 redubs of the first two arcs. I know they were never going to go back to square one and do a complete, faithful redub of all 291 episodes but doing all of what you mention above would've been more of an improvement than what little actually was done back in 2007 for the OB's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:23 am

Mostly money, they are notorious cheap-asses. Heck their partial "redub" is probably worse than their original dub. From crappy voice filters(such as the awful echo effect on the ssj3 transformation) making scenes worse than their og dub, to the remastered voices sticking out like a sore thumb next to the original takes making the over all quality worse and more jarring. It was a horrid mistake, and honestly they'd have been better off just throwing kikuchi music on the og dub instead.

Now if they had done a full re-dub about the same time budokai 3 came out it probably would have gone a lot better. but they didnt, and now we're stuck with worse quality(on modern releases anyway) than their og dub. and its maddening.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 am

Their main target audience unfortunately not only loves the dub, but also believes it to be superior to Kai. This is why Super's dub for example has some of the changes they made early on with Z, they're catering to that old Toonami fan base that wouldn't know what a quality dub was if their lives depended on it. If they were to re-dub Z properly and discontinue the versions that contain that old "dub", there's a chance it wouldn't make up the money that'd go into it.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am

There's a lot to be said about the pure scale of the thing as well. It's 199 episodes, many of which aren't too stellar, that would require hundreds of recording hours, many more takes, and probably close to a hundred different voice actors, for a show that had its prime in 1999. And you can't advertise "Redone dub!" on the back of the box.

As well, Kai was really Funimation's time to redub Z with more experienced VOs, so they kinda DID do that already.

(also why's the thread title only including Z? What about DB and GT!)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:30 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am(also why's the thread title only including Z? What about DB and GT!)
Not only DB and GT, but the majority of the movies and specials need a new dub as well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 am Their main target audience unfortunately not only loves the dub, but also believes it to be superior to Kai. This is why Super's dub for example has some of the changes they made early on with Z, they're catering to that old Toonami fan base that wouldn't know what a quality dub was if their lives depended on it. If they were to re-dub Z properly and discontinue the versions that contain that old "dub", there's a chance it wouldn't make up the money that'd go into it.
I'll bet a lot of that comes from their "muh nostalgia" feeling of watching it on Toonami as kids, and the majority of them just can't see that it's an awful dumpster fire of a dub as a result.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am

So are people under the impression a new dub wouldn't sell? Imagine the promotion, "A new redubbed Dragonball Z and new DVD boxsets!" and imagine how they could re-sell it to Cartoon Network/Toonami again the same way they did with Kai about a decade ago.

It's not like the old dub is going anywhere, there's now hundreds of reprints of the old dub on DVDs and streaming sites so old fans still have that version if they want.

As for why I didn't include Dragonball, I assume that was a little more accurate than the DBZ dub even though I know they changed things there too? I assume GT just wouldn't be popular enough for a redub, a lot of people barely care about it in general.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 am

I imagine there’s not much of a financial incentive in redubbing a 291 episode cartoon, especially when Kai exists. Why spend time and money doing something like that, when the old dub sells perfectly fine?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:30 am
KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am(also why's the thread title only including Z? What about DB and GT!)
Not only DB and GT, but the majority of the movies and specials need a new dub as well.
I agree. In particular I think the Bardock and Trunks specials need it most simply because they're much more relevant today simply by being directly canon to the anime, and the Trunks special is at least canon to Kai. They're good stories!, and they're hampered in English by woeful dubs and inauthentic soundtracks.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:30 am
I agree. In particular I think the Bardock and Trunks specials need it most simply because they're much more relevant today simply by being directly canon to the anime, and the Trunks special is at least canon to Kai. They're good stories!, and they're hampered in English by woeful dubs and inauthentic soundtracks.
As much as I love the Japanese version of the Bardock special, it’s definitely not relevant today. If there was ever a time to redub it, it would’ve been two years ago, with the Fathom release. As for the Trunks special, the dub of that is about on the level of season 4. It’s not good, but it’s certainly not as badly butchered as the Bardock dub.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:23 am Mostly money, they are notorious cheap-asses. Heck their partial "redub" is probably worse than their original dub. From crappy voice filters(such as the awful echo effect on the ssj3 transformation) making scenes worse than their og dub, to the remastered voices sticking out like a sore thumb next to the original takes making the over all quality worse and more jarring. It was a horrid mistake, and honestly they'd have been better off just throwing kikuchi music on the og dub instead.

Now if they had done a full re-dub about the same time budokai 3 came out it probably would have gone a lot better. but they didnt, and now we're stuck with worse quality(on modern releases anyway) than their og dub. and its maddening.
Not to mention using unfinished demo versions of Faulconer's music cues in many instances, which severely diluted the impact of several scenes in the original dub.
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 am Their main target audience unfortunately not only loves the dub, but also believes it to be superior to Kai. This is why Super's dub for example has some of the changes they made early on with Z, they're catering to that old Toonami fan base that wouldn't know what a quality dub was if their lives depended on it. If they were to re-dub Z properly and discontinue the versions that contain that old "dub", there's a chance it wouldn't make up the money that'd go into it.
Uh no, just because someone dares to like DBZ's dub does not mean they "don't know what a quality dub is", that's utter nonsense :roll: Seriously this whole insulting dub fans thing is getting really old and tiresome and does not in any way make you a superior DBZ fan, it just makes you come off as arrogant.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:49 pm

precita wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am So are people under the impression a new dub wouldn't sell?
It wouldn’t sell well enough to justify the effort of redubbing 291 episodes. That’s just a fact. Dubbing aint cheap. P
Imagine the promotion, "A new redubbed Dragonball Z and new DVD boxsets!" and imagine how they could re-sell it to Cartoon Network/Toonami again the same way they did with Kai about a decade ago
Kai had the added benefit of “Z without filler” so it was technically something new. The exact same show you own but with more accurate to the Japanese dialog script and better acting isn’t going to sell nearly as well as you think
It's not like the old dub is going anywhere, there's now hundreds of reprints of the old dub on DVDs and streaming sites so old fans still have that version if they want.
Correct the old dub isn’t going anywhere which is why Funi would never put the money and effort in a new one not when the old one makes bank

As for why I didn't include Dragonball, I assume that was a little more accurate than the DBZ dub even though I know they changed things there too? I assume GT just wouldn't be popular enough for a redub, a lot of people barely care about it in general.
It’s a little more accurate but not by much but it’s even less likely to receive a redub.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pmUh no, just because someone dares to like DBZ's dub does not mean they "don't know what a quality dub is", that's utter nonsense :roll: Seriously this whole insulting dub fans thing is getting really old and tiresome and does not in any way make you a superior DBZ fan, it just makes you come off as arrogant.
I thought you didn't care about the opinion of alt-right wannabe such as myself.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Never saw their inhouse tree of might except in a reveiw clip.

Why did they use the Ocean TV dialogue and not the uncut Pioneer?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:06 pm Never saw their inhouse tree of might except in a reveiw clip.

Why did they use the Ocean TV dialogue and not the uncut Pioneer?
That’s certainly not a bad question. The best explanation I can come up with is that they perhaps wanted to set the dub apart from what Pioneer did, so they decided to essentially just make it an uncut version of the TV dub that they did with Saban. As far as the first three DBZ movies go, the in-house dub of Movie 3 is easily the most out there of the bunch.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:35 pm

do you know that in countless country, there is almost never a "redub" in the best case, you get "retake" or they dub censored part but i don't see redub as a standard and i don't understand why in america it should be differrent than everywhere else.

You have a full uncensored dub so WHY would they bother to redub? most countries release dbox with japanese audio where there is censorship
you are all in a separate world .
Only in America i can see:
- people that think that funimation would care about fans and spend lot of money to do things properly and will lower theirs benefits to fit few people taste even if low cost ones sold very well
- people that think that only cause dub is innacurate, they will bother to redo it

BUT lol go out of your country and see how it is in the rest of the world....

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:40 pm

precita wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am
but that dub isnt even sold anymore, just the newer partial redub+jacked up sound effects "Remaster" dub. Any nostalgia they could have for it is false nostalgia. a complete redub with the english sound track and kikichu option would likely satisfy them just as well, since they already dont realize when they arent listening to the dub they have nostalgia for, just a (some how) even worse one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:40 pm
precita wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am
but that dub isnt even sold anymore, just the newer partial redub+jacked up sound effects "Remaster" dub. Any nostalgia they could have for it is false nostalgia. a complete redub with the english sound track and kikichu option would likely satisfy them just as well, since they already dont realize when they arent listening to the dub they have nostalgia for, just a (some how) even worse one.

Here’s the thing though the “ redub” really isn’t all that different from the old broadcast dub and by the Android saga the difference is negligible and next to non existent by the Great Saiyaman stuff

It’s close enough to the broadcast version that Joe Schnoe won’t care or notice but that’s way different than selling them a complete redub especially since certain actors would not reprise their roles (see the utter freak out at a few select roles being recast for Kai)