I still don't get why FUNI never redubbed DBZ from start to finish

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: I still don't get why FUNI never redubbed DBZ from start to finish

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm
dragonmagico wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:40 pm
precita wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am
It's not like the old dub is going anywhere, there's now hundreds of reprints of the old dub on DVDs and streaming sites so old fans still have that version if they want.
but that dub isnt even sold anymore, just the newer partial redub+jacked up sound effects "Remaster" dub. Any nostalgia they could have for it is false nostalgia. a complete redub with the english sound track and kikichu option would likely satisfy them just as well, since they already dont realize when they arent listening to the dub they have nostalgia for, just a (some how) even worse one.

Here’s the thing though the “ redub” really isn’t all that different from the old broadcast dub and by the Android saga the difference is negligible and next to non existent by the Great Saiyaman stuff

It’s close enough to the broadcast version that Joe Schnoe won’t care or notice but that’s way different than selling them a complete redub especially since certain actors would not reprise their roles (see the utter freak out at a few select roles being recast for Kai)
It was mainly the Freeza arc after ep 67 up through the Garlic Jr. arc that the bulk of the partial redubbing was done. By the time Trunks appears the redub of characters largely stops altogether because Sabat's Vegeta then returns to sounding like his old (and not to mention really awful) Brian Drummond impression again and Sonny Strait's Krillin goes back to the super nasally voice he had used prior to the current one he's done since the Ultimate Uncut dub or shortly before then.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Yeah the FUNI VA's didn't really get decent in their roles till the Buu saga dub. That's when they started sounding like their modern takes, especially for Goku, Vegeta and Krillin.

It's still rough in the early Cell saga although they improve as it goes on. Although now it's kinda moot with kid Gohan and Bulma being recast in the modern dubs.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 pm

The "remastered" DBZ dub does its job, in terms of fixing major inconsistencies like actors changing mid-run, right?

Either way, if anything needs re-dubbing it's DB movies 2/3. Those really should have been given a new dub with their "remasters"; even with movie 4 unchanged there would have been voice consistency between the two movie continuities.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:49 pmIt wouldn’t sell well enough to justify the effort of redubbing 291 episodes. That’s just a fact. Dubbing aint cheap. P
The episode count is definitely a problem. I'd like to seem them at least test it out, maybe with Z's TV specials and see how it does. Then again, why bother when the show is already flying off the shelves.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 pm The "remastered" DBZ dub does its job, in terms of fixing major inconsistencies like actors changing mid-run, right?
Yes but it doesn’t account too much for how different the 2005 performances were from the 1999-2000 recordings so other than a few select redubs you still have Goku suddenly sounding really awkward in episode 68 until around episode 90 or so as he poorly tries to imitate Peter Kelamis’s unique inflections, Sabat redubs Vegeta and ONLY Vegeta for season 3 (replacing Mark Britten as Burter aside) so Yamcha randomly sounds like an idiot surfer again and Piccolo goes from his more back of the throat voice to sounding like he’s choking on Scott Mcneil’s testicles (and he continues to sound like that for the rest of the series as Sabat didn’t use his perfected Piccolo voice until the Piccolo Jr saga in Dragon Ball). Nadolny redubs Gohan up until he attacks Second Form Freeza so Gohan goes from sounding like Goku as a kid to sounding like Patty and Selma from The Simpsons in the middle of the episode.

Either way, if anything needs re-dubbing it's DB movies 2/3. Those really should have been given a new dub with their "remasters"; even with movie 4 unchanged there would have been voice consistency between the two movie continuities.
I agree with this. Unlike the old dub of Z there was nothing iconic about movie 2 and 3 and Funimation should have redubbed them with the Kai cast ala Curse of the Blood Rubies. Especially with how amateurish and bargain basement SPIDC sounds.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 pm
LostTimeLord wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 pm The "remastered" DBZ dub does its job, in terms of fixing major inconsistencies like actors changing mid-run, right?
Yes but it doesn’t account too much for how different the 2005 performances were from the 1999-2000 recordings so other than a few select redubs you still have Goku suddenly sounding really awkward in episode 68 until around episode 90 or so as he poorly tries to imitate Peter Kelamis’s unique inflections, Sabat redubs Vegeta and ONLY Vegeta for season 3 (replacing Mark Britten as Burter aside) so Yamcha randomly sounds like an idiot surfer again and Piccolo goes from his more back of the throat voice to sounding like he’s choking on Scott Mcneil’s testicles (and he continues to sound like that for the rest of the series as Sabat didn’t use his perfected Piccolo voice until the Piccolo Jr saga in Dragon Ball). Nadolny redubs Gohan up until he attacks Second Form Freeza so Gohan goes from sounding like Goku as a kid to sounding like Patty and Selma from The Simpsons in the middle of the episode.

I agree with this. Unlike the old dub of Z there was nothing iconic about movie 2 and 3 and Funimation should have redubbed them with the Kai cast ala Curse of the Blood Rubies. Especially with how amateurish and bargain basement SPIDC sounds.
Indeed, they should've done those two over around the same time to maintain some degree of consistency (Goku and Bulma in Movie 1 aside) and Sleeping Princess especially so seeing as that was the very first thing the cast did with FUNi's transition over to in house following their parting from Saban and Z's run in syndication coming to a close just before that. It also predates the old Season 3 dub by about a year so you can really tell how horrible it sounds and Mystical Adventure to a lesser extent as well because that was done in a span of a few months after the latter started. They aren't even consistent with the subsequent OG DB series dub in terms of voices particularly kid Goku who was initially played by Ceyli Delgadillo (young Dende in Z prior to Laura Bailey taking over the role after Delgadillo departed from FUNi) before then being replaced by Stephanie Nadolny in the latter production.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:40 pm

As others have mentioned, money. Additionally, even if they wanted to do a redub, considering Schemmel didn't want to be part of a partial redub, I doubt he would've participated in a full on redub of Season 3 onward. And a Dragon Ball Z dub without the voice actor for Goku is kind of a non-starter.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:26 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:40 pm As others have mentioned, money. Additionally, even if they wanted to do a redub, considering Schemmel didn't want to be part of a partial redub, I doubt he would've participated in a full on redub of Season 3 onward. And a Dragon Ball Z dub without the voice actor for Goku is kind of a non-starter.
Did Schemmel not want to be part of it or did Funi just not want to pay his airfare from New York to Texas on top of paying him to redub old dialog?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pmUh no, just because someone dares to like DBZ's dub does not mean they "don't know what a quality dub is", that's utter nonsense :roll: Seriously this whole insulting dub fans thing is getting really old and tiresome and does not in any way make you a superior DBZ fan, it just makes you come off as arrogant.
I thought you didn't care about the opinion of alt-right wannabe such as myself.
I don't, but that does not mean I won't call out ignorant statements whenever I see them.

Anyways money was likely the reason why there was never a complete redub, time was also an issue as FUNI probably figured it would be a bigger pain in the ass then it was worth to re-record ALL the characters since sales were high regardless.
Last edited by Planetnamek on Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:26 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:40 pm As others have mentioned, money. Additionally, even if they wanted to do a redub, considering Schemmel didn't want to be part of a partial redub, I doubt he would've participated in a full on redub of Season 3 onward. And a Dragon Ball Z dub without the voice actor for Goku is kind of a non-starter.
Did Schemmel not want to be part of it or did Funi just not want to pay his airfare from New York to Texas on top of paying him to redub old dialog?
I've always read that he didn't want to be a part of it because he wanted to have a record of how far he had come as an actor as opposed to "overwriting" it so to speak.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm
I've always read that he didn't want to be a part of it because he wanted to have a record of how far he had come as an actor as opposed to "overwriting" it so to speak.
I’ve heard that too but I’ve never seen a direct quote and even at his most pretentious I doubt he’d turn down a paycheck

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Yeah, I recall Schemmel saying that too. He has also described himself as a "purist", which from a dub perspective would invalidate redoing anything unless it's for a new product (i.e Kai).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm sure if he got offered a big paycheck he wouldn't say no to redubbing Goku.

I always see him complaining when he finishes voice work on a show and says, "I need a new job." Dragonball has given him a consistent source of income because he's always dubbing the videogames every year as well...so he's almost continuously voicing Goku outside the shows.

It's weird now because not only does Kai exist but also Super, and some people will watch the old DBZ dub and go directly to Super:

- There's two different kid Gohan voices

- Two different Bulma voices

- Freeza in Super now sounds different than his old DBZ voice with Linda Young

- Performances for everyone who stuck around is lightyears better

It's just completely weird. The old FUNI dub is literally 20 years old now too. I'm surprised a relic from 20 years ago is still being offered as product in 2020.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:27 pm

precita wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:22 pm I'm sure if he got offered a big paycheck he wouldn't say no to redubbing Goku.

I always see him complaining when he finishes voice work on a show and says, "I need a new job." Dragonball has given him a consistent source of income because he's always dubbing the videogames every year as well...so he's almost continuously voicing Goku outside the shows.

It's weird now because not only does Kai exist but also Super, and some people will watch the old DBZ dub and go directly to Super:

- There's two different kid Gohan voices

- Two different Bulma voices

- Freeza in Super now sounds different than his old DBZ voice with Linda Young

- Performances for everyone who stuck around is lightyears better

It's just completely weird. The old FUNI dub is literally 20 years old now too. I'm surprised a relic from 20 years ago is still being offered as product in 2020.
That relic still sells well, so there’s not much of an incentive to replace it, especially when the time and resources would be better spent on the 10 million other projects that FUNimation is involved in. If you want your fix of a better English dub of DBZ that’s more consistent with Super, Kai is the obvious answer. That’s pretty much the one worthwhile thing that ever came out of that show.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Just recast him then.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Forgive me if I sound condescending, but I do have to ask: what exactly would people hope to get out of a DBZ redub that they can’t already get with Kai? As much as I believe that Kai was just a cheap cash grab on Toei’s end, it still gave fans an English dub that’s universally seen as being superior to the old one. What would yet another dub bring to the table?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:30 pm Forgive me if I sound condescending, but I do have to ask: what exactly would people hope to get out of a DBZ redub that they can’t already get with Kai? As much as I believe that Kai was just a cheap cash grab on Toei’s end, it still gave fans an English dub that’s universally seen as being superior to the old one. What would yet another dub bring to the table?

The problem with Kai is its a half ass recut of the show that uses badly placed Kikuchi music for the first series and generic modern shonen anime music for the second series.

I think the appeal of a redub of Z is getting the whole shebang. The garlic jr arc, the otherworld tournament, the Saiyan saga filler etc all 291 episodes with a faithful dub not a 167 recut of those episodes with mediocre use of music.

And I get the appeal of that but just aint happening. Slapping the original Japanese soundtrack on the dub was the extent of the effort Funimation will put in to bringing the Z dun closer to the Japanese version.

Even if Funimation were to feel the need to redub DBZ they really do need to start with the original Dragon Ball

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:30 pm Forgive me if I sound condescending, but I do have to ask: what exactly would people hope to get out of a DBZ redub that they can’t already get with Kai? As much as I believe that Kai was just a cheap cash grab on Toei’s end, it still gave fans an English dub that’s universally seen as being superior to the old one. What would yet another dub bring to the table?

The problem with Kai is its a half ass recut of the show that uses badly placed Kikuchi music for the first series and generic modern shonen anime music for the second series.

I think the appeal of a redub of Z is getting the whole shebang. The garlic jr arc, the otherworld tournament, the Saiyan saga filler etc all 291 episodes with a faithful dub not a 167 recut of those episodes with mediocre use of music.

And I get the appeal of that but just aint happening. Slapping the original Japanese soundtrack on the dub was the extent of the effort Funimation will put in to bringing the Z dun closer to the Japanese version.
In terms of the Saiyan filler, the UUE dub doesn’t do too bad a job with that stuff, at least when it comes to the stuff that was cut from the syndicated dub. As for the Garlic Jr. arc, meh. FUNimation already did a partial redub of that with the season sets, and while I don’t despise the Garlic Jr. filler, I don’t think there’s much of a loss in that not getting a “proper” dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 pm

In terms of the Saiyan filler, the UUE dub doesn’t do too bad a job with that stuff, at least when it comes to the stuff that was cut from the syndicated dub. As for the Garlic Jr. arc, meh. FUNimation already did a partial redub of that with the season sets, and while I don’t despise the Garlic Jr. filler, I don’t think there’s much of a loss in that not getting a “proper” dub.
The partial redub of the Garlic Jr was just Kyle Hebert redubbing Dale Kelly as narrator, New voices for Maron, Mustard, and Spice (for some reason? I never got this) and Sabat redubbing Vegeta’s few scenes nothing about it was really any different than how it aired in 2000 still as shit as it was back then (not surprising since Garlic Jr was part of season 3’s episode order in the original broadcast)

Obviously if you’re fine with Kai removing all the extra stuff (well most of it...er half of it for Boo) than Kai is more than serviceable for a good dub but for fans wanting to see all of DBZ redubbed faithfully? Kai’s dub is a consolation prize at best.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Like others said, money. And not just a Funimation thing as I heard Mark Gatha and a few of the G Gundam cast members wanted to redub the early bits of the series after they had gotten their characters down and thought they could put in better performances, but were refused. While I still never saw DB movie 2, have to agree redoing movie 3 would've been good. Though part of me thinks aside from the DB name on them, Funi sees them as old shame like that one magic show they did "Lollipop save me" or something.