Akira Toriyama Autograph/Sketch Authentification/Reference?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sskura

Akira Toriyama Autograph/Sketch Authentification/Reference?

Post by sskura » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:43 am

I get that there's a lot of fake Toriyama sketches and autographs out there and was wondering if a site or information exists to help verify legitimate ones.

I was able to find this Japanese yahoo answers question which mentions a 'site administrator' and 'verification site' but couldn't find the actual site myself since I imagine it's in Japanese.

I did also find an eBay listing which has 3 reference pictures from a 'professional in Korea' though:
If anyone knows of, or could help point me towards some more info I'd greatly appreciate it,

As an aside, here's a legitimate Shonen Jump Lottery Prize sketch currently listed for 2,300,000 yen on yahoo auctions :mrgreen:

Ajay

Re: Akira Toriyama Autograph/Sketch Authentification/Reference?

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 am

Everything on Yahoo Auctions and eBay is fake. Over the past 7 years, I've seen exactly one authentic piece listed and that was on Mandarake. It sold for absolutely ludicrous money.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sskura

Post by sskura » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 am Everything on Yahoo Auctions and eBay is fake.
Holy shit I just checked the 2 million yen auction and like you said, it's FAKE :crazy:

You can especially see how the fan isn't as circular and the kanji is completely off, not to mention a lot of other things. It looks amateurish when next to the original actually

To think that such high quality fakes exist…yeah maybe this isn't something I wanna mess with :shifty:

This is what I was considering for what it's worth:

The signature looks very fake to me now. The sketch itself, while being very good in my opinion, I feel is traced from a manga panel but not 100% on that.
Ajay wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 amOver the past 7 years, I've seen exactly one authentic piece listed and that was on Mandarake. It sold for absolutely ludicrous money.
If you happen to have images of that authentic mandarake piece, could you please post them since there's not much reference material of his real stuff around

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:50 pm

I don't have it, I'm afraid.

I can tell you that Trunks piece is 100% fake though. It's pretty horribly drawn; the face is all messed up, the arms are wobbly with zero stroke confidence, and the signature looks like it was written incredibly slowly in a careful attempt to match the original, which just isn't how anyone naturally writes.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sskura

Post by sskura » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:50 pm
Since I don't draw myself it's hard for me to pick up the lack of confidence in the sketch but yeah it's blatantly obvious that the signature isn't natural. Thanks a lot though, I appreciate your help

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm

does anyone have that Shonen Jump volume? I feel a scan would be better to compare to the drawing than the photo provided in the auction (if fake it's a rather brazen move)

The line art on the pointer finger and the shirt seem off, and the drawing looks like it extended the neck on the left side (the photo of the jump drawing seems to show the neck ending where the drawing does not)

sskura

Post by sskura » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm
Could be that the seller is unaware it's a fake :?. Speaking of brazen though, check out this archived listing I found:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:27 am

You know, I have never thought about it before, but his name is in Kanji, but signature is in Hiragana. Is that normal? I actually think that it would be easier to sign in Kanji, but this is fascinating.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:39 pm

I bet Toriyama's autograph is as often forged as Walt Disney's :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:41 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:39 pm I bet Toriyama's autograph is as often forged as Walt Disney's :lol:
Well, its tough to match up with the guy who made forgery his logo, haha

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Well, at least my Osamu Tezuka signature is genuine as my bud was there in Minneapolis to get it for me and my Shigeru Mizuki sketch and autograph are genuine as I was at the convention and met him in person. But yeah, with Toriyama being camera shy, getting a real autograph would be as hard as getting Steve Ditko's when he was alive...

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:25 pm

dougo13 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:01 pm Well, at least my Osamu Tezuka signature is genuine as my bud was there in Minneapolis to get it for me and my Shigeru Mizuki sketch and autograph are genuine as I was at the convention and met him in person. But yeah, with Toriyama being camera shy, getting a real autograph would be as hard as getting Steve Ditko's when he was alive...
Holy crap a legit Tezuka signature? That's awesome.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Von

Post by Von » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:24 pm

I hope you guys will forgive me for necromancing this thread, but considering the news from two weeks ago and the amount of fakes on mercari, yahoo auctions and other flea markets... It might be worth compiling info!

There's a person on twitter hunting down those fakes and sourcing the original drawings diligently to make sure people don't get tricked (right here )

I also have an original Toriyama drawing, in color, signed and stamped, but it's not an autograph. It was a prize that was won at a lottery (either a New Year Shueisha party, a Tezuka awards ceremony or something like that). I'd love to have it authentificated but I have no idea how, outside of careful comparisons between the traits, the stamp, the signature and how he wrote "Dragon Ball".
It was bought a while back from a surugaya-like second hand store (that sadly doesn't exist anymore), and basically it seems whomever had won it had died and their family members while downsizing sold everything to a local geek shop.
I'd love your opinion on it!