Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 am

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 pm
JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm Nah, i'd much rather pay them for a proper season set of the original dub, not the half-assed re-recorded version on the Orange Bricks.
The original dub, of course, being the dub that retains Bardocks original characterisation as a brilliant scientist... [shifty eyes]
No I mean the Funimation in-house dub.
The stuff with the Ocean cast for the first 53 episodes and the original in-house dub are all “The original dub” They’re not two separate things.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 am

A redub of DBZ would just be redundant at this point. There’s only so many times the actors can record the same lines over and over again until they get sick of it. As for OG DB? Maybe. The 2001 dub is definitely on the rough side, although I don’t think you can top Brice Armstrong’s narration.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 am A redub of DBZ would just be redundant at this point. There’s only so many times the actors can record the same lines over and over again until they get sick of it. As for OG DB? Maybe. The 2001 dub is definitely on the rough side, although I don’t think you can top Brice Armstrong’s narration.
Yeah the OG DB dub may range from so so to mediocre at points, but Armstrong's narration was really a good part of it. His take feels much closer in execution (I'd put him second after Doc Morgan in Kai) to Joji Yanami's wise sage type style in the Japanese version than Dale Kelly and to a lesser extent Kyle Herbert's over the top hardcore WWF/monster truck announcer impression in Z.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:56 pm

I'd be all over a redub for OG Dragon Ball. Kai's dub makes a redub for DBZ a waste of resource.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:06 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:56 pm I'd be all over a redub for OG Dragon Ball. Kai's dub makes a redub for DBZ a waste of resource.
Not really. Kai has its own problems isolated from the dub.

OG Dragon Ball should absolutely have top priority for a redub though.

Hell the fact that Colleen Clinkenbeard would be voicing Goku and not Nadolny and the subsequent butthurt alone would make it worth it

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm

No because it's a waste of time and money at this point. Back in the aughts, perhaps.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Given Funimation's track record over the latter half of Kai and now through Super... I doubt the resultant new dub would actually be good enough to be worth it. Even if the underlying translation was largely more faithful, you know they wouldn't be able to resist "punching up" their script like they inevitably always do.

At this point, I think the only way we're ever going to get a truly good English dub of the original 3 series is if the domestic dub-and-release rights actually change hands entirely.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:21 pmAt this point, I think the only way we're ever going to get a truly good English dub of the original 3 series is if the domestic dub-and-release rights actually change hands entirely.
Could something that major realistically ever happen ?

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:25 pm
Kaboom wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:21 pmAt this point, I think the only way we're ever going to get a truly good English dub of the original 3 series is if the domestic dub-and-release rights actually change hands entirely.
Could something that major realistically ever happen ?
Give them back to Pioneer!

Well first, lets rebuild Pioneer, then give them back to Pioneer!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:52 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:21 pm Given Funimation's track record over the latter half of Kai and now through Super... I doubt the resultant new dub would actually be good enough to be worth it. Even if the underlying translation was largely more faithful, you know they wouldn't be able to resist "punching up" their script like they inevitably always do.

At this point, I think the only way we're ever going to get a truly good English dub of the original 3 series is if the domestic dub-and-release rights actually change hands entirely.
That's literally the only way i even remotely see something along these lines happening at this point, though with that said i doubt FUNi is just going to let the license they currently have for the series go anytime soon, they have grown into a huge dub production house from the tiny speck of a company they were back when Fukunaga first acquired rights (via nepotism through family connections over at Toei) to distribute the series here back in 1994/1995. They've effectively been the exclusive rights holder to Dragon Ball here for as long as i've been alive and i don't see this changing in the immediate future unless some major shakeup happens which really isn't looking all that likely as of now.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 am
JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 pm

The original dub, of course, being the dub that retains Bardocks original characterisation as a brilliant scientist... [shifty eyes]
The stuff with the Ocean cast for the first 53 episodes and the original in-house dub are all “The original dub” They’re not two separate things.
Well you know what I mean, it's less confusing if you separate the two(at least for me personally).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:27 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 am
Well you know what I mean, it's less confusing if you separate the two(at least for me personally).

I guess I just don’t see a point in releasing the old dub if you’re not gonna release the whole shebang from Arrival to Raditz to Goku’s Next Journey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:10 pm

To answer the original question, if it did happen I would absolutely give it a watch. If Funimation, without my prompting them, came up with this idea on their own I'd contribute some money to help make it happen. However, I'd never go out of my own way to try and make them offer this. Their current content is fine, I can wath it in either English or Japanese for the most part, and I'm happy with watching the older content exclusively in Japanese.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:35 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 am A redub of DBZ would just be redundant at this point. There’s only so many times the actors can record the same lines over and over again until they get sick of it. As for OG DB? Maybe. The 2001 dub is definitely on the rough side, although I don’t think you can top Brice Armstrong’s narration.
Yeah the OG DB dub may range from so so to mediocre at points, but Armstrong's narration was really a good part of it. His take feels much closer in execution (I'd put him second after Doc Morgan in Kai) to Joji Yanami's wise sage type style in the Japanese version than Dale Kelly and to a lesser extent Kyle Herbert's over the top hardcore WWF/monster truck announcer impression in Z.
I personally prefer Brice Armstrong’s narration over Doc Morgan’s, but they’re both good.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:35 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm
I personally prefer Brice Armstrong’s narration over Doc Morgan’s, but they’re both good.
I like both in their own different ways, they were definitely a massive improvement over the mindset that went into the narration with the old DBZ dub in trying to present a "ZOMG HARDCORE AWESOMENESS!!!!!!" edgy WWF-type tone which Dale Kelly's version in particular really sounded like.

I mean compare this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhbMDFSveQ

to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcD0YH96t5s

(Wow, the difference is night and day. What a difference a decade makes!!!)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:09 pm

I prefer Dale Kelly over Brice Armstrong. Armstrong is too buttoned down and lacks the right energy for DB's narration. Kelly may be less talented and excessive at times, but he would have been a lot better with different writing and direction. Neither of them have the right cadence in my view.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Brice's energy is perfectly fine for a narrator. What matters most is the voice. It's avuncular and he's a talented actor.

They're both really good, though and it's a shame they didn't use either as Kaio.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 pm

I'd actually Kickstart to get a pioneer ocean quality dub using the ocean cast. I still have a hard time listening to the FUNi cast, even tho many of them evolved at VA's there still is that hint of the ocean voices they once replaced.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:59 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 pm I'd actually Kickstart to get a pioneer ocean quality dub using the ocean cast. I still have a hard time listening to the FUNi cast, even tho many of them evolved at VA's there still is that hint of the ocean voices they once replaced.
Just as long as it doesn't include Kelamis

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm

I can't stand Armstrong's voice. It's *too* avuncular. The guy needs to lighten up and have some fun. His narrator sounds too hinged and takes things too seriously.

Pioneer quality Ocean dub sounds dope but we all know Kelamis is the MVP so he's a must.

Honestly though any redub at this point would need to be an entirely all-new cast. None of the previous castings measure up, and it's better anyway to start completely fresh.