Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am

Prior to Super? And under which conditions would you pay. GO WILD! Like Including the Ocean cast! (Wink Wink Robo). Its a fully faithful hypothetical redub though. THAT is the one thing you cant change.

And please, no "That would never happen"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 am

That would never happen. :lol:

I wouldn't be interested in Z, as I prefer Kai's pacing, but I'd definitely invest in a DB re-dub. If that turns out well, I wouldn't mind doing so for the original 17 movies, 3 TV specials, and GT. of course the investment would have to get us something to justify it, like an exclusive home release for investors, or a price cut, etc.

sskura

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by sskura » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:30 am

I might but only for the reason of it being a better way to get people into dragon ball who might not be comfortable reading subtitles (kids). Since personally, regardless of how well it's done, it's going to be inferior to the original Japanese audio. Also not sure how successful it would be though. Since the 'purists' would stick with the Japanese original and those wanting nostalgia (no judgement) wouldn't be served by a redub

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:14 am

If it could ever happen I'd be down for it for sure.

Ideally with a mix of both the Funi and Ocean casts :D
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:25 am

I wouldn't. The opportunity has passed. Those who like the dub, would likely reject the re-dub and those who like the original Japanese version, might not even care about the re-dub. And unless it landed a solid TV deal, it sincerely wouldn't even matter. So, what's the point? Just to add another cute little gimmick to it that might spark one's curiosity for a short period of time like when they released the dub with original BGM?

First of all, I wouldn't trust them to follow through with a "100% faithful dub." Second of all, I have the Japanese version to that itch.

But, the short answer is "no." You mentioned Ocean -- I'd be 100x more likely to give them money to do a release using the Blue Water/Ocean dub than to do a full re-dub.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 am

I would pay Funimation via kickstarter to give the Dragon Ball license to literally anybody else.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:09 am

I would. I'd contribute even if it were JUST for the first series. Kai has me covered for the Z material, and while I'd like a better GT dub I can at least track down the Blue Water dub for that. The original DB, however, deserves so much better. By all means, keep the original dub on the DVD/BD/however you're releasing this theoretical Kickstarted version for historical purposes, but I'd pay top dollar for something that better matches with the current dubs.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am Prior to Super? And under which conditions would you pay. GO WILD! Like Including the Ocean cast! (Wink Wink Robo). Its a fully faithful hypothetical redub though. THAT is the one thing you cant change.

And please, no "That would never happen"
No, I don't want to watch it dubbed in English.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am

No, because I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that enough money would be raised.

A redub would be awesome, but I'm a realist, and I know that realistically, not nearly enough people would pitch in, and whatever money they did pitch in would not be enough to cover the cost of hiring actors, directors, script adapters, recording engineers, mixing engineers, and a marketing team for a redub of a 290-something episode, 13-movie, 2-TV special series that is old news by this point. So since not nearly enough people would chip in, I'm beyond confident that I'd just be throwing my money down the drain if I chipped in my self. Heck, FUNimation...probably has the money to do a complete redub themselves, but they know they'd never make their money back on such an investment.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:51 pm

I would rather put money towards one of two things, a re-animation of the series more true to the manga, running the whole DB span, no Z nonsense, or a full Ocean redub of kai, which would be much cheaper since they'd only need the money to release it.

I wouldn't want Sean Schemmel getting any of my money, that would be gross.

EDIT: I would also support a re-release of the manga without the censorship, its ridiculous that Dragon Ball still suffers from this.
Last edited by JewyB on Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:22 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am A redub would be awesome, but I'm a realist, and I know that realistically, not nearly enough people would pitch in, and whatever money they did pitch in would not be enough to cover the cost of hiring actors, directors, script adapters, recording engineers, mixing engineers, and a marketing team for a redub of a 290-something episode, 13-movie, 2-TV special series that is old news by this point. So since not nearly enough people would chip in, I'm beyond confident that I'd just be throwing my money down the drain if I chipped in my self.
It's worth noting that when it comes to crowdfunding projects like this, it isn't uncommon for the organizers to refund the backers if they fall short their goal. I don't see Funi just keeping the money in this hypothetical scenario.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:47 pm

If something like this had enough interest to actually take off and fans support it then maybe, but really i'm already more than covered enough for the series between original Z in Japanese and Kai's dub despite it's shortcomings, and Japanese for DB and GT given their dubs here range from so so at best to mediocre at worst. As it stands though, i just don't see there being anywhere close to the amount of support that it would take for a Kickstarter to actually pan out if FUNi were to decide to start one for a faithful redub project especially on the scale of the original 508 episode anime run plus the old DB/Z movies and TV specials, particularly the ones that have some of the most god awful bits of dub work like Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle and the Bardock special as i just cannot bring myself to watch them dubbed.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm

A re-dub of everything Dragon Ball. No. A re-dub of OG DB though, I would be all for it. To have the choice between the original Japanese and a solid English dub from OG DB episode 1 to Super episode 131 would be great. Everybody benefits when we have more options to watch the series we love.

A re-dub of the Z specials and the movies to me would be a nice cherry on top, but in the long run I could live without, as they are non-essential material, and won't gain nearly as much as something that is, like OG DB.

• GT would still be painfully mediocre, and a new dub, no matter how good it is, can't save it. It would just be wasted effort.
  • All movies before BoG are entirely non-canon, and can be skipped by new / returning viewers, and they won't miss out on anything except cool fight scenes and some neat one-shot villains.
  • Of the 2 specials, only one is technically canon anymore since the Bardock Special was erased by DB Minus.
  • For Z we already have the good Kai dub, so redubbing all of Z would be redundant.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:40 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm A re-dub of everything Dragon Ball. No. A re-dub of OG DB though, I would be all for it. To have the choice between the original Japanese and a solid English dub from OG DB episode 1 to Super episode 131 would be great. Everybody benefits when we have more options to watch the series we love.

A re-dub of the Z specials and the movies to me would be a nice cherry on top, but in the long run I could live without, as they are non-essential material, and won't gain nearly as much as something that is, like OG DB.

• GT would still be painfully mediocre, and a new dub, no matter how good it is, can't save it. It would just be wasted effort.
  • All movies before BoG are entirely non-canon, and can be skipped by new / returning viewers, and they won't miss out on anything except cool fight scenes and some neat one-shot villains.
  • Of the 2 specials, only one is technically canon anymore since the Bardock Special was erased by DB Minus.
  • For Z we already have the good Kai dub, so redubbing all of Z would be redundant.
It's not really a matter of canon but rather being able to view the material in the best possible way, regardless of them being canon or not. I do agree that if I could only have one part be re-dubbed, it'd be the OG DB.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:40 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm A re-dub of everything Dragon Ball. No. A re-dub of OG DB though, I would be all for it. To have the choice between the original Japanese and a solid English dub from OG DB episode 1 to Super episode 131 would be great. Everybody benefits when we have more options to watch the series we love.

It's not really a matter of canon but rather being able to view the material in the best possible way, regardless of them being canon or not. I do agree that if I could only have one part be re-dubbed, it'd be the OG DB.
Yeah, that's more or less where I stand. If redubbing is ever on the table again, OG DB should come first, anything else should be secondary.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:50 pm

If it were a complete, clean slate redub that acted as if previous English voices/lines never existed, they recast from scratch, had a totally different staff for voice direction, AND the dialogue was faithfully translated and localized, yes I would pay decent money for that. I would also watch each and every second of it (DB/Z/GT/The Movies) even if it didn’t turn out super great in one aspect or another (namely casting).

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Nah, i'd much rather pay them for a proper season set of the original dub, not the half-assed re-recorded version on the Orange Bricks.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm Nah, i'd much rather pay them for a proper season set of the original dub, not the half-assed re-recorded version on the Orange Bricks.
The original dub, of course, being the dub that retains Bardocks original characterisation as a brilliant scientist... [shifty eyes]

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 pm

JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:22 pm Nah, i'd much rather pay them for a proper season set of the original dub, not the half-assed re-recorded version on the Orange Bricks.
The original dub, of course, being the dub that retains Bardocks original characterisation as a brilliant scientist... [shifty eyes]
No I mean the Funimation in-house dub.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:00 pm

Then there is no equivalent of episode 1-54 I think. Its just a bunch of nothing until Funimation's in house takes over then.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: