Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:13 pm

coola wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:06 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:07 pm
coola wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am No, because i disagree with Funimation political agenda, that they like to shove into their releases, that's why i ve stopped supporting them.
Have they been known to insert political agendas into Dragon Ball? I guess there was the whole “intolerance is bad” PSA that they randomly included for their dub of Movie 13, but that was 2006.
With Dragon Ball, it's more about subpar releases on DVD/BD.

With other anime, we had Ishuzoku Reviewers controversy (Thank god Rightstuf picked licence) and SJW pandering or installing their political agendas into dubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tS0ziL7rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IfOUQlQz-Y
Anyone that unironically uses stupid terms like "SJW" is someone that cannot be taken remotely seriously. Enough with the trolling.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:54 pm

Didn't watch the video, but while I heard a little of those odd things in some streaming things years ago, don't think they do them anymore. Also, since you're in the former Iron Curtain, did those make sense for you, or are those type of terms over there? For the Interspecies Reviewers, that was kind of like when that DC subprint did Tenjho Tenge of grabbing before looking and realizing they couldn't do it fully.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:31 pm

If you children are done. . .

Really, I see no value in yet another dub. I’d certainly not watch it as I rarely watch ANY anime dubbed, much less a series with such a particularly Asian flavor. It just feels wrong. At least for my ears.

The English fandom sadly can never seem to escape those shitty Funimationisms to the point where I legit think, if the dub of our dreams was made (new cast, new faithful translation, etc), it would be a massive flop and get panned by the English fandom the way the Kai dub does. Thus reinforcing to Funi to stay in their comfort zone.

I mean, I was amazed at how many fans actually PREFER Chris Sabat’s Brian Drummond impression from Z to his performance in Kai. Sadly, those idiots have the ear of Funimation and always will.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:58 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:31 pm If you children are done. . .

Really, I see no value in yet another dub. I’d certainly not watch it as I rarely watch ANY anime dubbed, much less a series with such a particularly Asian flavor. It just feels wrong. At least for my ears.

The English fandom sadly can never seem to escape those shitty Funimationisms to the point where I legit think, if the dub of our dreams was made (new cast, new faithful translation, etc), it would be a massive flop and get panned by the English fandom the way the Kai dub does. Thus reinforcing to Funi to stay in their comfort zone.

I mean, I was amazed at how many fans actually PREFER Chris Sabat’s Brian Drummond impression from Z to his performance in Kai. Sadly, those idiots have the ear of Funimation and always will.
People preferring one voice-performance over another does not make them "idiots" :roll: , as Mike said in another thread, insulting people like that is uncalled for.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 am

Account strike issued over demonstrably false propaganda.

With regard to that and other content posted here: you're entitled to your opinions, but we're under no obligation to put up with nonsense here. Be good to each other, report bad-faith actors, and please let the moderation/administrative team handle such things.

(And please stop asking for opportunities to give large, well-to-do, functional companies free money to do things they can already do! :thumbup: )
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:47 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:51 pm
precita wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:11 pm The VA's as of Kai and Super are all pretty fine. I'd only really suggest a recast of Chi Chi at this point because her VA is getting too old to play the role and she sounds way too strained.

I wasn't keen on kid Gohan's new VA at first but it grew on me over the course of the series. Everyone else like Freeza and Bulma are an improvement over the original.

Oh I forgot Jeice, somehow his voice in Kai is even WORSE than DBZ. I don't know how that happened. His voice went from some weird Australian knock off to an...even worse and more high pitched Australian knock off. Goddamn, I don't know what happened there. It's like FUNI thought they could do better and keep the accent but somehow managed to make it even worse.
Jason Liebrecht’s Jeice sounds more Scottish to me. It’s also interesting to note that for the past several games, Jeice has been voiced by Chris Sabat again.
I think that's mostly out of ease and convenience. Chris Sabat's tended to still play characters that he gave up for Kai in the video games for the last few years, including Burter and some side characters. Fuck, he played BABA in Revenge of King Piccolo!!!!!

Some voice actors are probably too busy...plus, as Sabat has pointed out before, given that he's really a voice director and probably on salary, a lot of the grunt work characters he does are essentially for free. Despite him being in a far better position now than he was in 1999, nowadays he actually runs the voice studio used for DB works—and it's incredibly common for higher-ups and salary workers to do unpaid work to get the job over the hump.

(Now that I think about it, Kai and Super are technically not in-house dubs - they're subcontracted to Okratron 5000 like with the Ocean Group :P :P :P :P )
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:47 am
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:51 pm
precita wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:11 pm The VA's as of Kai and Super are all pretty fine. I'd only really suggest a recast of Chi Chi at this point because her VA is getting too old to play the role and she sounds way too strained.

I wasn't keen on kid Gohan's new VA at first but it grew on me over the course of the series. Everyone else like Freeza and Bulma are an improvement over the original.

Oh I forgot Jeice, somehow his voice in Kai is even WORSE than DBZ. I don't know how that happened. His voice went from some weird Australian knock off to an...even worse and more high pitched Australian knock off. Goddamn, I don't know what happened there. It's like FUNI thought they could do better and keep the accent but somehow managed to make it even worse.
Jason Liebrecht’s Jeice sounds more Scottish to me. It’s also interesting to note that for the past several games, Jeice has been voiced by Chris Sabat again.
I think that's mostly out of ease and convenience. Chris Sabat's tended to still play characters that he gave up for Kai in the video games for the last few years, including Burter and some side characters. Fuck, he played BABA in Revenge of King Piccolo!!!!!

Some voice actors are probably too busy...plus, as Sabat has pointed out before, given that he's really a voice director and probably on salary, a lot of the grunt work characters he does are essentially for free. Despite him being in a far better position now than he was in 1999, nowadays he actually runs the voice studio used for DB works—and it's incredibly common for higher-ups and salary workers to do unpaid work to get the job over the hump.

(Now that I think about it, Kai and Super are technically not in-house dubs - they're subcontracted to Okratron 5000 like with the Ocean Group :P :P :P :P )
You’re probably right. He also voiced Zarbon in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, which I believe is a first since 2009.

Gon Soku

Post by Gon Soku » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 am Prior to Super? And under which conditions would you pay.
Under no conditions would I pay! Dragonball isn't some niche product that can't make it with fans pushing it over the finish line, Funimation keeps rereleasing the series and apparently people still buy it, they're making money and can pay for any hypothetical new dub themselves.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm kinda surprised FUNI didn't replace Linda Young as Freeza in the DBZ dub, but it would probably required way too much time and effort to redub all of Freeza's lines from the Namek arc and the eps after. And then people with nostalgia for the original dub would probably complain, heh

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:43 pm

precita wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm I'm kinda surprised FUNI didn't replace Linda Young as Freeza in the DBZ dub, but it would probably required way too much time and effort to redub all of Freeza's lines from the Namek arc and the eps after. And then people with nostalgia for the original dub would probably complain, heh
Replace her when? During the UUE dub?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:12 pm

precita wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm I'm kinda surprised FUNI didn't replace Linda Young as Freeza in the DBZ dub, but it would probably required way too much time and effort to redub all of Freeza's lines from the Namek arc and the eps after. And then people with nostalgia for the original dub would probably complain, heh
Honestly, i don't know if the thought crossed their minds at the time. Now with Kai i can see why Linda was recast/replaced with Chris Ayres as Freeza because it was apparently stated (by Sabat or one of the other main casting people at FUNi) that she couldn't really get her performance to work with the more accurate scripts the way the directors wanted or something like that. By DBZ dub are you referring to the later Ultimate Uncut dub or the 2007 Orange Brick partial redub where her initial Pauline Newstone impression from 1999 was redubbed (albeit only a certain point) to the more screechier sounding one that had already been in use for the games of the time?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:36 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am No, because I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that enough money would be raised.

A redub would be awesome, but I'm a realist, and I know that realistically, not nearly enough people would pitch in, and whatever money they did pitch in would not be enough to cover the cost of hiring actors, directors, script adapters, recording engineers, mixing engineers, and a marketing team for a redub of a 290-something episode, 13-movie, 2-TV special series that is old news by this point. So since not nearly enough people would chip in, I'm beyond confident that I'd just be throwing my money down the drain if I chipped in my self. Heck, FUNimation...probably has the money to do a complete redub themselves, but they know they'd never make their money back on such an investment.
Who said anything about Dragon Ball Z? We have Kai for that. And for GT, we haev the Blue Water dub for that. But the movies, TV specials, OG Dragon Ball, and other goodies from Toei's DBZ vault would be nice. I'd love to see an English dub of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:36 pmWho said anything about Dragon Ball Z? We have Kai for that.

Oh, I'm in agreement. The title of the topic included the phrase "the full Dragon Ball media," though, so that's why I brought up DBZ.
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:36 pm...and other goodies from Toei's DBZ vault would be nice. I'd love to see an English dub of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return.
I'm not one for spreading rumors, especially since Dragon Ball-related stuff tends to be particularly prone to over-the-top rumors that become accepted as "truth" by lots of people over the years (case-in-point, "Dragon Ball AF"). That said, there's a rumor that FUNimation did indeed dub that, and that it hasn't been released due to legal/licensing issues. FUNimation mentioned waaaay back that they were trying to get it, and Todd Haberkorn, who plays Tarble, supposedly let it slip at a con that the show was dubbed before quickly realizing he made a mistake in revealing that.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:41 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pmThat said, there's a rumor that FUNimation did indeed dub that, and that it hasn't been released due to legal/licensing issues. FUNimation mentioned waaaay back that they were trying to get it, and Todd Haberkorn, who plays Tarble, supposedly let it slip at a con that the show was dubbed before quickly realizing he made a mistake in revealing that.
Not doubting you or anything, just curious but where did you hear this? I ask because as far back as 2016 Chris Sabat seemed to imply the special had not been dubbed because of budget and licensing issues, although he wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Also worth noting he says here if it happens Todd Haberkon may not be recast as Tarble.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:38 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:41 amNot doubting you or anything, just curious but where did you hear this?
I remember hearing something similar as well, although it was 10 or so years ago. Considering nothing came of it, I just assumed it was false.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm

I don't think that a redub of DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBS, the TV specials, movies and more is neccesary. We only need it for original DB and the movies. Plus, you should watch GT in Japanese. FUNimation tried to make it like Dragon Ball Z Part 2, and the Blue Water dub, as beautiful as it is, is not as god as the orginal.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 am A redub of DBZ would just be redundant at this point. There’s only so many times the actors can record the same lines over and over again until they get sick of it. As for OG DB? Maybe. The 2001 dub is definitely on the rough side, although I don’t think you can top Brice Armstrong’s narration.
F in the forum for Brice Armstrong

also I'm pretty sure this isn't necroposting

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:26 am

I wouldn't pay a mega corporation money to make a dub as a viewer, but I'd love to see a more accurate dub with better acting to show my friends who don't like the Japanese version.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 am

No. Not only could Funimation afford it, they'd get so many new people and so much money that would pay back this investment multiple times going into the new decade.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:14 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm I don't think that a redub of DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBS, the TV specials, movies and more is neccesary. We only need it for original DB and the movies. Plus, you should watch GT in Japanese. FUNimation tried to make it like Dragon Ball Z Part 2, and the Blue Water dub, as beautiful as it is, is not as god as the orginal.
I can't say Dbgt is well dubbed by Funimation.