Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

As already mentioned and expanding upon that:

- The Seagull timeslots weren't necessarily terrible (some were, some weren't). DB often ran right next to Sailor Moon.

- Saban pulled the plug on ALL their kids syndication programming; DBZ was one of numerous victims, not necessarily a singularly selected murder choice.

- DBZ not doing well in syndication is revisionist history nonsense. It was an ever-growing massive success, an anime securing an hour-long weekend morning timeslot before Pokemon broke through, building merchandise, etc. If it wasn't already successful, Cartoon Network wouldn't have scooped it up as a programming block tentpole.

I also want to point out two additional things:

- This thread was long dead before it was randomly revitalized out of nowhere. This one wasn't necessarily as bad as some of the multi-year necroposts, but please pay attention to the threads you're responding to.

- Please stop asking to give money to companies to produce things they can fund on their own.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:10 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:20 pm FUNi's treatment of DB may not have helped matters but there's quotes from Gen Fukunaga you can look up that point to why they skipped ahead to DBZ after the first 13 episodes of DB.
Considering DBZ didn't truly become a hit till Toonami (the ratings during syndication were good but not enough to stop Saban from pulling the plug), Seagull's horrible timeslots (and the questionable Blue Water dub) definitely held Dragon Ball back. FUNimation just didn't wanna wait on the franchise to become a success.
The Blue Water dub is Ocean’s dub for the UK and Canadian market that was dubbed in Oceans budget studio “Blue Water Studios” in Calgary around 2004. It’s not the 1995 dub that was done by Funimation and BLT Productions.

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm

I’d be down for it. Anything that could get some spotlight on OG Dragon Ball is always good in my book. Although I don’t imagine it would be very well received or profitable.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:59 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 am. After this, when Funimation eventually got around to doing the full series dub, it was half-assed, barely-advertised, and consistently before, during, and after, Funimation has made every effort to downplay the original series
To be fair, it being half assed was more reflective of Funimation’s capabilities at the time than general apathy. The writing, acting, and directing had about the same level of effort as Z and Yuyu Hakusho.

I wouldn’t say it was barely advertised. Toonami promotions for it were fairly common. It’s just those promotions sucked making it sound like a Muppet Babies esque spin off. They also pretty much stayed the same while Z’s promos seemed to change every 5 seconds. Coincidentally they did a bit better with the Piccolo saga in making Dragon Ball seem exciting and not Lol! Goku is widdle and called Roshi stinky!!!

https://youtu.be/By8s_HytLA8

Probably because at that point Z finished airing the prior Spring and GT hadn’t started yet.

Though that’s more on Toonami than FUNimation.
. It aired while the Z series was at its most exciting, climactic portion
It aired concurrent to the Buu saga.Not exactly sure if that’s the most exciting climatic portion.

If anything the real damage is having already aired the first 2/3rds of Z before Dragon Ball. That basically murdered two potential audiences

1. Those who didn’t like Z but might have liked the original Dragon Ball. If someone thought Z was stupid why even bother watching Dragon Ball?

2. Those who would have preferred Z regardless but might have enjoyed Dragon Ball on its own terms. No Super Saiyans. No Vegeta. No Trunks. No Gohan. Probably a deal breaker for a number of Toonami Ball Z fans, an issue that would have been avoided if Funimation ran on all of Dragon Ball first. Can’t be upset Vegeta isn’t in this one if you’re not aware he exist.

the dubbing style was flat and boring (the dull performances, poorly-paced dialogue, and the lack of overly-active music to compensate for this hurt it a lot),
Of it’s many things I wouldn’t call the dubbing style flat and boring. Hokey and obnoxious and well bad but not boring. The dialog and acting really isn’t any different than Z.

And keeping the original music did not hurt Dragon Ball’s dub. That’s as silly as implying Z would have failed without Faulconer or Wasserman. It’s telling that the hate for Kikuchi’s score from American fans is only
applied to Z. Most of them will at least say something dumb to the effect of “The music fit Dragon Ball but
not Z! Z was serious sci fi!!!!!”

and in general it always played second-fiddle to DBZ, basically it was played as a "DBZ Babies" spinoff that aired alongside the later run of Z, rather than being a full-on entry in the franchise, which is how Z, GT, Kai, and Super were treated.
That is fair. Pretty much only the King Piccolo saga got to run without another Dragon Ball series already airing.
Yeah I definitely remember seeing several advertisements for DB back when it was airing, at the time I had no idea whether it was a sequel, a prequel or a spin-off. I do remember being surprised at the slower pace compared to DBZ.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm - Please stop asking to give money to companies to produce things they can fund on their own.
Sorry for quoting you so long after, but someone recently replied to this thread and your post jumped out at me.

This all day long. All day long. Funimation doesn't have a cash flow problem. They could just as easily produce an accurate dub if they want. They could also make a good Blu-ray release if the wanted, but the failed to do that even with crowd funding.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm - Please stop asking to give money to companies to produce things they can fund on their own.
Sorry for quoting you so long after, but someone recently replied to this thread and your post jumped out at me.

This all day long. All day long. Funimation doesn't have a cash flow problem. They could just as easily produce an accurate dub if they want. They could also make a good Blu-ray release if the wanted, but the failed to do that even with crowd funding.
At the basic that Funimation absolutely could afford a full on redub and it really not impacting their bottom dollar I agree. And it’s embarrassing to even have fans suggest that they would front the bill for it.

But realistically Funimation is never going to do it. They make enough money on their current Z and paying for a redub is a needless expense that won’t make more money .

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:23 pm

I would fully support a re-dub of Original Z, because it is, by FAR, the worst offender. OG Dragon Ball was a step in the right direction, and GT I don't really care about. So if I could support a more faithful dub of Z (in the vein of Kai, because I still like the FUNi cast for the most part) I would.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!