Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 am No. Not only could Funimation afford it, they'd get so many new people and so much money that would pay back this investment multiple times going into the new decade.
If this were true, why wouldn't they do it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Would you pay Funimation via Kickstarter for a redub of the full Dragon Ball media

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 am No. Not only could Funimation afford it, they'd get so many new people and so much money that would pay back this investment multiple times going into the new decade.
Don't know, don't care.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:45 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 pm
Don't know, don't care.
So it's just an arbitrary statement.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:07 pm

They have other projects that they find more worthwhile for business.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:10 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:45 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:17 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm If this were true, why wouldn't they do it?
Don't know, don't care.
So it's just an arbitrary statement.
Where the hell do you think you are? Funimation Headquarters? Of course it's an arbitrary statement.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 pm

What could possibly lead you to think they'd leave money on the table like that? I honestly wonder because I have no idea where you got the idea they could make money with a dub of a show they already made. You were so sure of yourself.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:07 pm
FoolsGil wrote they would make SO much money. And if they could make money, the wouldn't say no just because there were others that would make more.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:50 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 pm What could possibly lead you to think they'd leave money on the table like that? I honestly wonder because I have no idea where you got the idea they could make money with a dub of a show they already made. You were so sure of yourself.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:07 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm If this were true, why wouldn't they do it?
FoolsGil wrote they would make SO much money. And if they could make money, the wouldn't say no just because there were others that would make more.
If you're going to quote me, quote me right, I didn't capitalize 'so.'

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:58 pm

I didn't quote, I was paraphrasing. :D

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:58 pm I didn't quote, I was paraphrasing.
well excuse me then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm
well excuse me then.
Boy do I hope you understand this is good natured ribbing.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm
well excuse me then.
Boy do I hope you understand this is good natured ribbing.
*smirk* :roll:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:28 pm

I wouldn't mind a redub of GT. It's so poorly directed and has such weird music in the original version they did.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:06 pm

I’m not giving anything to funimation, because they’d never want a proper version of DB. The people there want a heavily edited version, nothing actually faithful. Not to mention there’d be a huge uproar, not that that matters. Old Z dub fans should be left in the dust for the better good of the series imo.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm

I imagine had Kai not been a thing, a full redub of DBZ could have theoretically happened at some point.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:01 am

precita wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm I imagine had Kai not been a thing, a full redub of DBZ could have theoretically happened at some point.
They would have ruined that one as well.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:14 pm

While FUNimation has been consistenly incompetent of their handling of the series, one thing I don't exactly fault them for is their decisions regarding their dub. The fact is, from a business point of view, they don't need to do it. There's this strange phenomenon that I've noticed where normies (as in, people who probably don't spend their time on Dragon Ball forums and are more casual fans) seem to latch onto, specifically, "dubisms". They may not realize these things only exist in their version of choice, but somehow it's those things that they seem to specifically appreciate--Goku's hero speeches, the Faulconer music, corny insert jokes, etc. As a result, that version is what most people in the United States have nostalgia and fondness for, and often those liberties and embellishments have woven themselves into the fabric of culture. I still quite often see "It's over 9,000!" or "I'm just Saiyan" t-shirts in public. That isn't going to stop just because the number was incorrectly dubbed or "Saiyan" was mispronounced. I think people just don't care and would rather consume what they're used to. It's too late to change that and nostalgia is going to win over accuracy for most people.

I hate to say it, but any deviation from emulating the arbitrary decisions of some guys in Texas in 1996 would be seen as alienating the larger American fanbase that appreciates those tropes from FUNimation's perspective. I think that's the dilemma they faced with Kai. They seemed to be borderline ambitious at the beginning, but then very noticeably retreated into their old tricks.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:16 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 pm I imagine had Kai not been a thing, a full redub of DBZ could have theoretically happened at some point.
No it wasn’t. They were pretty upfront that Kai gave them an opportunity to do Dragon Ball Z right.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:14 pm There's this strange phenomenon that I've noticed where normies (as in, people who probably don't spend their time on Dragon Ball forums and are more casual fans) seem to latch onto, specifically, "dubisms". They may not realize these things only exist in their version of choice, but somehow it's those things that they seem to specifically appreciate--Goku's hero speeches, the Faulconer music, corny insert jokes, etc. As a result, that version is what most people in the United States have nostalgia and fondness for, and often those liberties and embellishments have woven themselves into the fabric of culture.

Honestly “normies” as it were don’t seem to care about things like the music or the corny jokes or the super hero speeches . I suspect most normies don’t even care to switch the music track option to the US score on their orange bricks (and since most people just use streaming where the US music isn’t an option).

I’ve never known an actual person outside of like youtube comments or gamer forums to nut over lines like “Ally to good nightmare to you”

Pretty much the only actual reason I’ve ever heard a casual fan preferring the English dub over Japanese is because “I don’t like Goku being voiced by a woman”

There’s also probably an unspoken role that people were introduced to Dragon Ball Z in english so watching it in Japanese is weird to them. Also the entire series has been available in uncut form since like 2007 so in their minds there is no reason to seek out the Japanese version to see what they missed. Had Dragon Ball Z stayed in its originally heavily edited format with all the blood censored and episodes worth of content missing I think more fans would have jumped ship to the Japanese version and gotten over the Goku being voiced by a woman thing.

I still quite often see "It's over 9,000!" or "I'm just Saiyan" t-shirts in public. That isn't going to stop just because the number was incorrectly dubbed or "Saiyan" was mispronounced. I think people just don't care and would rather consume what they're used to. It's too late to change that and nostalgia is going to win over accuracy for most people.
Nobody gave a shit about the “It’s over 9000!” line until that Youtube poop video in 2005. Even when Funimation redubbed those episodes Sabat’s Vegeta gives a much more sedated delivery of that line because it was recorded before that line took off.

It’s obvious the Funi Saiyan pronunciation isn’t going anywhere. Even with Kai pronouncing Kaioken correctly and using the Japanese attack names their Sayin pronunciation is forever tied to the show’s pop
culture ubiquity.

I hate to say it, but any deviation from emulating the arbitrary decisions of some guys in Texas in 1996 would be seen as alienating the larger American fanbase that appreciates those tropes from FUNimation's perspective. I think that's the dilemma they faced with Kai. They seemed to be borderline ambitious at the beginning, but then very noticeably retreated into their old tricks.
Even in the beginning they weren’t opposed to lifting dialog from the 96/05 dub. Kami and Mr.Popo’s conversation about Piccolo changing was verbatim the same as the 05 dub. Namek was probably their most ambitious.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:03 pm

No, because they'd still use absolutely butchered footage, and it probably wouldn't even be that good anyway. There'll probably never be English dubbing for Dragon Ball as good as Kai ever again.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Because Funimation has never cared about the pre-Z media, and as a result has never done the market research to find this out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.