Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm

GT has always been a pretty divisive series among the Dragon Ball fandom, but post-Super, has its reputation improved, ala the Star Wars prequels, or is it even more disregarded nowadays than it was before?

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2713
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:41 pm

No, if anything Super has essentially supplanted it as Z’s sequel.

At best it went from being widely hated to just being ignored /forgotten

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6353
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:55 pm

Well, Dragon Ball Super's existence really improved Dragon Ball GT, surprisingly. It was just kind of boring, especially the early part, the Super 17 saga and how the Shadow Dragons were handled. But I gladly take those over crap retellings and stupid tournaments. Dragon Ball GT at least provided a better context for the small cast to be in. They even dared to kill permanently a main character...

I do appreciate it more nowadays.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:47 am

I still see a few people bash GT, but no where near as many as there was before Super aired. It really is a case that you don't know what you have until it's gone, or in GT's case being basically overwritten in the anime continuity.

Super is definitely the franchise's new punching bag, as the sequel trilogy (specifically Last Jedi, although unjustly so) is for Star Wars.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Magnificent Ponta
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Location: Not on Tumblr, I guess

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:10 am

I don't think GT has really shifted away from its general position as 'not great in and of itself, but good to take ideas from to do something else', which it has held for some years now. People still see 'potential' in it (which for a long since finished product is an indictment in and of itself), and I think the continuing popularity in the fandom of series rewrites and reuses of GT ideas in non-GT contexts is instructive.

No matter what the demerits of other series, or how much time passes, however, I don't believe GT will ever be able to shift toward being truly 'liked', for the simple reason that it commits the cardinal sin of being a Dragon Ball series with generally boring action.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:38 am

Overall I do think GT has been appreciated by more even if its overall reputation hasn't changed. I think this is for two reasons, both pertaining to Super:
  1. Super's quality in general. While it does have its fans, it's gotten a reputation for retreading old story ideas (quite literally in the case of the first two arcs) or just squandering the new ideas that it does have. It's similar to how the temperature on The Last Jedi changed significantly after The Rise of Skywalker came out and showed the line between Different and Bad.
  2. GT is from Dragon Ball's prime era, more importantly. The fact of the matter is that Super is a modern show and looks/is designed as such (not to mention falls into the trappings of the modern anime industry, like even worse deadlines that exemplify the flaws of digital animation, effects, rendering, etc). If you're hankering for something that looks and feels like Z but is new content, GT is a very good place to go to, alongside OG DB and the classic movies. Die-hard Giant Lizard Dub fans get the narm they crave, and Japanese fans get the voice cast in their prime before they played their characters down Snake Way and back. GT also has the advantage of coming directly off the momentum of Z, and that's reflected by carrying onwards from Dragon Ball's full ending and aging the characters, as opposed to Super's post-Buu approach that locks the, in stasis (which is rather un-Toriyama).

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4858
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:10 am

I have no idea... People usually don't like GT for the slow start and weird convoluted and poorly executed plot that leads to Baby Arc, which is kinda liked. The hunt for Dragon Balls tries to emulate the first arcs of Dragon Ball, but then it leads to the Z formula people were used to.
Super 17 arc is weird and usually skipped, but again, Shadow Dragons arc is liked for the premise, idea, but again, poorly executed leading up to the climax, that is in my opinion also universally liked.

People usually praise the character designs and music and only gripe they have is with poor writing troughout the show.
Also, GT doesn't have that big marketing output as it had before, as being kinda the penultimate sequel before Super came out
as now for example in video games, they ended with GT plot. Now the games are oriented on fresh material, leading to Super and GT is treated more, or rather less as the Movies are - extra.

To cut it short, I guess GT might be liked better nowadays and people still like and remember the designs of SSJ4, Uub, Goku, Baby, Trunks, Super 17 and the Li Shenlong. Also, GT's ending is universally liked in contrast to Z ending being cut short in anime to better link the series with the GT sequel in comparison to manga.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2305
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:15 am

I have no clue why people are comparing Super to the Star Wars sequels, I haven't seen nearly as much hatred or controversy surrounding Super. In fact, most people I have seen on the internet or talked to irl were actually very sad that Super was going on a hiatus.
And so by incorporating Goku's flesh into my being, I have assumed both the sins of mortal kind and the failure of divinity so they may never be repeated! That is the duty of a true God. That is why I do this. For the good of the cosmos. For a creation!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:33 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:15 am
I have no clue why people are comparing Super to the Star Wars sequels, I haven't seen nearly as much hatred or controversy surrounding Super. In fact, most people I have seen on the internet or talked to irl were actually very sad that Super was going on a hiatus.
Both are intended as modern sequels to series that previously had an officially licenced sequel. In Dragon Ball's case it was GT, whereas Star Wars had the Thrawn trilogy.

From what I've seen the hatred for both Super and the Star Wars sequels isn't nearly as bad as previous installments in both franchises, but moreso loud, likely because of the growth of social media over the last decade.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:35 am

I think the answer depends on what fans are looking for. If they're looking for a sequel that pushes the story and characters forward, then GT will be vastly preferred, as Super more or less relies completely on nostalgia. If fans are looking for an action heavy show, then GT doesn't hold a candle to Super, as it has some of the worst "action" I've ever seen. Personally, I think the BOG movie is the only post manga product we should've gotten, as it's the only thing to get both aspects right.

User avatar
Demon Prince Piccolo
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am

I think it is more liked, at least by me and some others, particularly if you watched it in the OG Japanese (which I did for the first time this year). It is riddled with problems (worst being a weak start and a lame Super 17 arc for the most part), but it get some things more right than Super. Once Super moves past EOZ is when it will perhaps feel more like the true sequel to Z imho. I do feel Super is still the better series, but GT has a handful of things I love (the Japanese soundtrack, the throwback to adventure, even if it was poorly done, the different outfits to show a few years had passed, Goku's characterization and power, Baby, SSJ4, Pan at times, the Shadow Dragon Concept, the consequences of using the Dragon Balls too much, the ending/epilogue really feeling like the end). At least on my end, it's definitely more liked now than before.
Training myself to drop the "Z" when referring to the adult portion of Goku's story from Toriyama's original manga. The story, from the moment Goku met Bulma through Goku flying away with Uub, is all DRAGON BALL.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

User avatar
Skar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Skar » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:42 am

It's hard to tell if it's reputation changed with the overall audience since there's always the silent majority for any series don't offer their opinions online. The characters still appear in video games and merchandise so it seems to have enough fans that Toei or Bandai haven't completely disregarded it. My opinion of GT hasn't really changed but I gained appreciated for some of its ideas.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am

I dont think its more liked or disliked, i think its just more viewed in context of what we have.

At the time GT was loved/hated because it was all we had and the final portion of the dragon ball story. Now we have way more content being continuously released which gives us hindsight into whether GT was really that good or bad to begin with, and it allows us to cherry pick parts we liked or disliked, because now we have something else to lean on.

And a lot of people are saying "GT is more liked because Super sucked", but did you consider that maybe GT is more liked because Evolution sucked? With Evolution we saw Dragon Ball at its worst, and GT as the "worst part of dragon ball" got elevated to actually being "not bad.jpg". This definitely gives it a lot more weight against Super, and not just that, but we have Heroes too, which is GT if they decided "fuck it lets just do the ideas". Without Heroes or Evolution the bottom spot would be contended between GT and Super and despite personal feelings, GT would lose out the majority of the time because it was the unofficial contender.

Now we have a lot of things we can consider much, much worse or incoherent than GT ever was.

I'm also not saying GT was bad and/or worse than Super, so pitchforks down, i'm just saying if we didnt get absolutely horrible content, GT would have been our definition of horrible content and that stigma is harder to shift.

So i dont think its more liked or disliked, just in a better position to be accepted instead of being the lightning rod for DB fans hate.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:02 am

Maybe a little? It depends on where you look. I see some on Twitter defending it, but YouTube comments are the same as they ever were. There seems to be a small section of the community that has warmed up to it either because of how they feel about Dragon Ball Super or because of the Green Bricks.

When Dragon Ball GT initially aired on TV in places like the U.S. (I can't remember how it was here in Canada), the marketing tried to make it seem more hardcore for an audience that had gotten older. The advertising, the intro, even skipping episodes to get to the action were all done for that purpose. It gave people a false perception of what the show was. When the Green Bricks released and reversed a lot of that (English cover of the Japanese intro, shown in its entirety, etc.), I think more people were able to view the show as an original Dragon Ball throwback rather than a continuation of Dragon Ball Z.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am

JewyB wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am
A lot of people are saying "GT is more liked because Super sucked", but did you consider that maybe GT is more liked because Evolution sucked? With Evolution we saw Dragon Ball at its worst, and GT as the "worst part of dragon ball" got elevated to actually being "not bad.jpg". This definitely gives it a lot more weight against Super, and not just that, but we have Heroes too, which is GT if they decided "fuck it lets just do the ideas". Without Heroes or Evolution the bottom spot would be contended between GT and Super and despite personal feelings, GT would lose out the majority of the time because it was the unofficial contender.
This is a very good point. People tend to forget that for the longest time, GT was the only main product we had outside the original manga and its adaptions. There was nothing to hold it against. Although GT still has problems, we can now see through comparing it to what you mentioned that it could've been a lot worse, and that there are genuinely good things about GT fans may have overlooked back in the day.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 am

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Goten_jr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm

i think It was never as much HATED how people thought it was i think a lot of people who hated it were just way more vocal about it it was definetly the most controversial/divisive topic among the fanbase but i think a lot of people nowdays just find it okay esspecially if you look at the ratings (IMDB:6.8/10)(MAL:6.5/10)

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Goten_jr wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm
i think It was never as much HATED how people thought it was i think a lot of people who hated it were just way more vocal about it it was definetly the most controversial/divisive topic among the fanbase but i think a lot of people nowdays just find it okay esspecially if you look at the ratings (IMDB:6.8/10)(MAL:6.5/10)
Having experience writing detailed reviews for the site, I find IMDB scores pretty unreliable. People usually just spam low effort 10/10 or 1/10 scores to artificially boost or deflate the ratings of films they liked/hated.

But otherwise I pretty much agree, every fanbase needs to have a whipping dog sequel. For a long time, it was GT. People meme'd it because it was low-hanging-fruit and it just became popular to hate on, no real critical thinking involved. However, while some praise of GT is now usually used as a comparative to justify hating on the new whipping dog that is Super, I'm kind of glad people are more keen on reappraising things nowadays. Even though some people justifiably still aren't keen on GT for a number of good reasons, it's nice that people are at least willing to give it another chance. Whenever you see a YouTuber making loads of "lol GT sucks amirite" jokes, it's just... cringeworthy and screams that they're out-of-touch.
I am 999 years old. I don't give a f--

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:15 am
I have no clue why people are comparing Super to the Star Wars sequels, I haven't seen nearly as much hatred or controversy surrounding Super. In fact, most people I have seen on the internet or talked to irl were actually very sad that Super was going on a hiatus.
Let me give you a perspective on how you can see that.

OG Dragon Ball = OG Star Wars
Dragon Ball GT = Star Wars Prequel
Dragon Ball Super = Star Wars Sequel

Sooo hmmmmmm ... Dragon Ball Ball Evolution = Star Wars holiday special lol :lol:

What about Heroes tho ? Here I don't know.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

JewyB
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:15 am
I have no clue why people are comparing Super to the Star Wars sequels, I haven't seen nearly as much hatred or controversy surrounding Super. In fact, most people I have seen on the internet or talked to irl were actually very sad that Super was going on a hiatus.
Let me give you a perspective on how you can see that.

OG Dragon Ball = OG Star Wars
Dragon Ball GT = Star Wars Prequel
Dragon Ball Super = Star Wars Sequel

Sooo hmmmmmm ... Dragon Ball Ball Evolution = Star Wars holiday special lol :lol:

What about Heroes tho ? Here I don't know.
I dunno i think GT fits better into the EU category than the prequels, the prequels would be the Jaco manga. Then Heroes is like the ongoing star wars comics that got told they were non-canon and went "lul darth vader ghosts" or whatever is going on in those at the moment.

Now we just need a series on disney+ to become our Mandalorian, with a baby Kami or something, and boom, we got us a Star War!

Also a clone wars. Not the 3d clone wars, the superior 2d clone wars.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3787
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Would you say that GT is more or less liked nowadays?

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Well I personally never hated GT, I just didn't think it was as good as the Original Series and Z. but I recently acquired all of the original DVD singles of it and have been watching it again at night when I take care of my grandparents and.....I don't dislike it as much as I once did. :?
I think some things could have been done better but I like a lot of the original character designs in GT like Nova and Ice shenrons and ledgic was a cool model but he was just not given no love at all in the fight haha he's kinda like the dabura of GT in a way :P but I like the fight scenes mucccccch more GT than compared to Super.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Post Reply