Movies you used to enjoy quite a bit, but now appreciate much less?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Movies you used to enjoy quite a bit, but now appreciate much less?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 am

For me, the big example I can think of would be The Path to Power. I used to love it for how ambitious and well animated it is, but looking back, the movie is sort of all over the place.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Movies you used to enjoy quite a bit, but now appreciate much less?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:43 am

Battle of Gods. The novelty of having a new Dragon Ball movie at the time was great but the art direction doesn't hold up well after 7 years.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 am

I have to agree with Battle of Gods, somewhat. Watching it again recently, it's still a pretty great movie overall, but not as good as I remember, or as much of a timeless masterpiece as the internet props it up to be. The movie's pacing is absolute jank. The Pilaf trio's antics eat up a sizeable chunk of this movie for very little payoff, whereas the build-up to Beerus snapping at the party is extremely rushed. Would it have hurt to animate some of Beerus's interactions with the cast rather than showing it as a series of still frames? Also, I don't know if it's just the Netflix version, but the sound design is atrocious. Everything sounds muffled. Art and animation wise, it's obviously better than the TV adaptation, but those chunky Yamamuro designs and garish colours can be rather an eyesore.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm

My views on the movies over the years have more or less remained unchanged.

Original Manga level: Battle of Gods.

Great: Cooler's Revenge / Broly the legendary Ssj / Wrath of the dragon.

Good: Dead Zone / World's strongest / Tree of might / Fusion Reborn / Super Broly.

OK: Lord Slug / Super Android 13 / Bojack Unbound.

Meh: Return of Cooler / Broly Second Coming / Resurrection F.

Terrible: Bio Broly. Why does this even exist ?

I haven't seen DB's which is why they're not listed.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I liked both BOG and ROF for being new DB material back then. Now not so much. Still love DBS Broly.

As for the other way around, I started appreciated Dead Zone and The World's Strongest more as the years go by. Fantastic art and fighting choreography, especially the latter.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:12 am

Last time I watched the Hirudegan movie I could hardly pay attention until the very end, even though I always loved that movie.
RoF aged horrible to me, I enjoyed it a lot back in 2015, but pretty soon I just couldn't stand it anymore. The animation just seems off to me, not to mention the actual movie, but those colors I don't know, I just can't.

On the contrary, I've been hating on the Metal Cooler movie for years but I had a great time last week watching it. Same goes for Broly's 1st movie which I never liked, and wouldn't say I like it now but I definitely moved on from hating it.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Resurrection 'F'

I liked, and still do, many aspects of it. But as a whole, the overall experience and entertainment value have waned significantly.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Resurrection 'F, used to enjoy it quite a bit, mostly for the action but on repeat viewing it becomes less entertaiment each time.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm

I actually liked Resurrection F quite a bit when it first came out, as a standalone movie the only faults I gave it at the time were the rushed and unexplained SSGSSB forms (and by extension the absolutely stupid name for the form). A few rewatches and an anime adaption later, and I think it's one of the weakest DB movies out there.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:08 pm

kyppk wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm I actually liked Resurrection F quite a bit when it first came out, as a standalone movie the only faults I gave it at the time were the rushed and unexplained SSGSSB forms (and by extension the absolutely stupid name for the form). A few rewatches and an anime adaption later, and I think it's one of the weakest DB movies out there.
In general, i believe both of the movie adaptation arcs in Super aren't that great and although i think ROF is a flawed film it's actually worser to me in that format broken up into individual episodes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm

The Super adaptation of BoG works well but RoF was a crap movie that works even less as an entire arc.

As for a movie I used to enjoy but like less now - if I had to pick one it would be movie 8. Loved it as a teen and looked forward to it for years. Now it just feels too long by at least 20 minutes. How long is too long to watch a wrecking machine unphased by anything?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:43 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm The Super adaptation of BoG works well but RoF was a crap movie that works even less as an entire arc.

As for a movie I used to enjoy but like less now - if I had to pick one it would be movie 8. Loved it as a teen and looked forward to it for years. Now it just feels too long by at least 20 minutes. How long is too long to watch a wrecking machine unphased by anything?
The Battle of Gods arc in DBS now that I think about it is ok though ultimately i prefer just watching the film itself, Resurrection F indeed isn't that good in either form though i still dislike Bio Broly more.

As for films that i like to a lesser extent now, i'd have to say the first Cooler movie because his metallic form in the second just seemed more awesome to me as a younger kid.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 pm

Several people here are saying RF, and I find that amusing. I always viewed that movie as severely overrated, especially with how high TeamFourStar put it on their ranking list, so the apparent fact that people are starting to care less about it is welcome in my book.

Personally, I thought that movie was underwhelming when I first saw it, and my dislike for it has only grown over time. If you ask me, it has virtually nothing going for it. Even the animation isn’t all that, with the CGI being absolutely atrocious.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm How long is too long to watch a wrecking machine unphased by anything?
I think that's the point. He's a wrecking machine unphased by anything, so the running time reflects that. A battle with a guy that is seemingly unstoppable and keeps on going would naturally take a long time. The audience should feel tired and worn out by the end.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:44 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm How long is too long to watch a wrecking machine unphased by anything?
I think that's the point. He's a wrecking machine unphased by anything, so the running time reflects that. A battle with a guy that is seemingly unstoppable and keeps on going would naturally take a long time. The audience should feel tired and worn out by the end.
But not exhausted in a good way. It doesn't take THAT long to make the audience feel like everything they are hitting Broly with is nothing. And it's not particularly novel. The movie could easily shave off 10 minutes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Most of the early DBZ movies are pretty bad honestly aside from Movie 1 and 2, which have a fun "Dragonball" flair to them and feel more like Dragonball movies than DBZ movies.

Movie 3 with Turles is pretty lackluster, Movie 4 is awful, Movie 5 is just ok, 6 had terrible pacing, and 7 was meh. 8 and 9 were pretty good, 10 was average, 11 awful, and 12 and 13 are the best movies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 pm

I love movie 3. Some of the best battles in any of the movies.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:15 pm

When it comes to the first three DBZ movies, Movie 3 is the one that often seems to be regarded as the weakest, which I’m somewhat inclined to agree with. To me, the big draw of it is that it’s one of the only DBZ movies that actually includes most of the Dragon Team. The fighting is definitely weaker than it is in Movies 1 and 2, and the movie really overdoes it with all the establishing shots showing how the Earth is getting affected by the tree.

I don’t have much of an opinion on the scenes with Gohan and Hire Dragon either. I’m not one of those people who despises Hire Dragon, but I also can’t say I find that I find their scenes to be anything super compelling. It also feels somewhat repetitive when it leads to the scenes of Chi-Chi scolding Gohan, which Movie 2 already did. Still, that subplot does give Movie 3 more of an actual story, which does help it feel more like a real movie, but I think Movie 13 handles that concept much better.

As for Movie 8, I agree that the fight with Broly goes on longer than it needs to, which is an issue that it shares with the most recent movie in the franchise, which also has Broly in it. Still, I’ve always had a certain degree of respect for Movie 8 on the count of how relatively ambitious it is, particularly with how it gives its antagonists some fairly well defined backstories. It’s also easily one of the least derivative movies of the original run. Apart from Broly’s transformation bearing some resemblance to Trunks when he fought Cell, it doesn’t really copy any particular scenes or concepts from the manga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Tullece and company feel much more like DB villains than Dr. Wheelo.

As for the fights, while I like the scenes in movie 2, few moments are as badass as when Goku faces down Tullece's men who are really cocky after defeating Goku's friends, and get their asses handed to them all at once.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:58 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 pm Tullece and company feel much more like DB villains than Dr. Wheelo.

As for the fights, while I like the scenes in movie 2, few moments are as badass as when Goku faces down Tullece's men who are really cocky after defeating Goku's friends, and get their asses handed to them all at once.
True, but I’d argue that Movie 2 having unconventional villains works in its favor. The movie has the distinct vibe of an old sci-fi b-movie, which I quite like. It gives the movie its own unique flair. Dr. Wheelo and Dr. Kochin are also fairly memorable as far as Dragon Ball movie villains are concerned, especially since they predate Dr. Gero. Also, the decision to have the setting be in an Arctic location was a nice touch for the time.

For the fights, I was more so referring to the general choreography. Movie 1 and Movie 2 both have some pretty strong fight choreography, while the choreography in Movie 3 generally feels more inline with the TV series.