I would like to see Dragon Ball remake...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

I would like to see Dragon Ball remake...

Post by Psajdak » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 am

As much as I enjoy in new content, including Heroes promo anime, I think complete restart could really refresh the franchise, and introduce a lot more people to it.

First two series are iconic, and legendary, and there will always be someone who likes them, but similar to some other remakes, from what little I read of original manga, if done properly it could be yet another beloved DB anime.

That all being said, and what with new Dragon Quest anime, as well as Digimon, I could actually see Toei starting with third Dr. Slump anime, before continuing with Dragon Ball, and then maybe into post EoZ.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: I would like to see Dragon Ball remake...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 am

I'd love to see a remake which tells the whole story from Pilaf to Buu, like what Kai should have been. I still think everyone should watch the original anime trilogy, but realistically for newcomers it would be easier to get into the story from the beginning of they see it with modern animation. I'd watch it as a curiosity and as something new to look forward to picking up on Blu-Ray, especially if they used an orchestral score or had Sumitomo (as TOEI would almost certainly hire him again) attempt something along those lines.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 am

I'd take a modern remake over the "new" content we've been getting any day. They could adapt the entire manga from start to finish in 200 episodes or even less, as I assume they'd adapt 3 chapters per episode at least. With good pre-production time and someone like Shintani being in charge of the art direction, we'd be in for something truly special.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am

Due to popularity, merch & ROI issues which is why og DB is untouched by TOEI for brand new adaptation. Which I think is a blessing in disguise...cuz it's character design is gonna go either Yammamuro or Shintani's way....and none of em are qualified to render og DB to today's standard...at least Yuya Takahashi wud do...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:56 am

I don't think it would be good. The animation would look similar to Super I imagine and the anime would speed through the arcs unless they pad out the fights like the original anime did. I think people often forget how "quick" fights go by in the manga, a few pages for each but translating that to a 22 minute episode is a big difference.

Also I'd miss Pilaf and co. not being around from the beginning of the first arc.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:24 am

I'd like that. I'd like it if they picked one style (Shintani for instance) and stayed with it without change through out the arcs (like how Toriyama's art style evolved). And no redesigns, no clothe "updates" and NO story and character adjustments to appease current day social norms. A legit adaptation.