Popularity of Cast Foreseen or Surprise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Popularity of Cast Foreseen or Surprise

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Regarding the Funimation cast, whether you liked the dub or not, were any of you surprised at how popular they came to be, whether it was for DB or not? For example, quite a few of them have rather big lines at conventions and fans like to meet them when they can. Recall at my local comicon last year Laura Bailey (Little Trunks) along with many other voice actors who participate in a web show called "Critical Role" had their lines capped off rather quickly and the panel they did was also capped off. Now don't know if folks there were in Chris Sabat's line only because they were DB fans, but his autograph line was pretty big as well to where I missed seeing him. I assume some of this happened at other places too, so asking back when some of these guys were starting in 1999-2000s, did you ever think they'd be well received and known at AX or San Diego in the future, or think it would never happen? Also curious about dubs outside North America. To guys who had non-English dubs, are your countries' casts well received at your comic or anime cons? Assuming the Japanese cast got big huzzahs at Japanese conventions, but wonder outside as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Popularity of Cast Foreseen or Surprise

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:23 pm

No. Whatever cast was on such a popular show was going to inevitably be seen in a positive light especially over time. It's a part of people's childhoods.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:47 pm

Laura Bailey became popular for shows and videogames outside of DBZ mainly.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Whenever you hear Chris Sabat talk you immediately get the feeling of "Yeah this guy was born to have a career involving his voice" so I'm not surprised he's become a go-to guy for trailer narration these days.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 pm

precita wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:47 pm Laura Bailey became popular for shows and videogames outside of DBZ mainly.
Hence why I said whether it was for DB or not. But yeah, I'm aware of that. She is Chun-Li and Black Widow after all. Nice to her fans too. So when idiots started sending her threats for Last of Us II, her real fans rebuked them big time. Never played that, or the first or know what pissed them off, but that was stupid to get mad over.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:25 am

Super Sonic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 pm
precita wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:47 pm Laura Bailey became popular for shows and videogames outside of DBZ mainly.
Hence why I said whether it was for DB or not. But yeah, I'm aware of that. She is Chun-Li and Black Widow after all. Nice to her fans too. So when idiots started sending her threats for Last of Us II, her real fans rebuked them big time. Never played that, or the first or know what pissed them off, but that was stupid to get mad over.
Having played that game(which I loved, easily my favorite game of all time) and followed that controversy I can go into more detail(It was for a number of reasons-because her character had muscles which some dumbass trolls claimed were "unrealistic in the apocalypse"(Despite the first game having equally buff men, yeah those trolls never had a problem with that), because her character does something early on that pissed off some fans of the first game(not spoiling it here) and because 4chan started a rumor before the game came out about her character being trans(which unsurprisingly turned out to be completely bogus, there is a trans character in the game, but it wasn't her character). So yeah it was all around extremely stupid.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:32 pm

That is stupid. You'd think some folks could separate actors from characters. Speaking of that franchise, Troy Baker appears in it too right? Know the two of them have been in a lot of games together like FFXIII, Catherine, cartoons and Shin-chan, ever think when the Wrath of the Dragon movie came out that Little Trunks and the bad guy would get really known and popular in the future, or think of the possibility happening?