If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Remake - A complete retelling
Reboot - a complete rebranding of a specific title

The only credit that I will ever give to Dragonball Evolution is that they went in an original direction. It was a bad reboot, would never tell anyone to watch it, but at least it wasn't a story we already know. If US filmmakers were to give it another shot (and not fuck it up) I would much prefer a reboot than a remake. Thoughts?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

If a filmmaker can make a great adaption of the manga, I'll take it. If they can make something original that's inspired by the manga, I'll take it as well. It really depends on what will be the best movie whoever can make, so I'm open to both options.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: If another US Live Action Movie was made, would you want a remake, or a reboot?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:02 pm

I wouldn’t say that DBE went in all that original of a direction. It’s basically an amalgamation of the very first arc and the Piccolo Daimao arc. The high school thing is certainly different, but that doesn’t really factor much into the overall movie.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

I'd like to see either a tongue-in-cheek sequel to Evolution that really leans into how bad it was, or i'd love to give Pixar the reigns to the Pilaf arc, i feel they could do it great justice.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:12 pm

DBE mixing elements from Pilaf and Piccolo Daimo was not a bad idea because you had to build the ground up. You can do things more faithfully by starting at Pilaf and have the final movie end with Buu. You would probably need like 7-10 movies for that and who knows if a movie can have a sequel. I remember back in the 2000s, Fox talked about how they wanted Dragon Ball to be their next big movie franchise with the Star Wars prequels ending soon. DBE was actually a good movie that did well at the box office, they could have done the Tenkachi Budokai for a second movie and the Saiyans for the third movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 am

Either one works for me.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 am

I'm torn, really.

If you do a straight-up remake then there's nothing original, you could just go back and see the original manga/anime. The film adaptations of 300, SIN CITY and WATCHMEN suffer this problem.

But if you try something original, then there are complaints/issues of deviating from/disrespecting the source material. Something DBE suffered very much.

I think a film adaptation/series should strike a good balance between faithfulness and allowing for originality, though even then there are bound to be criticism. But you can't please everybody.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 am I'm torn, really.

If you do a straight-up remake then there's nothing original, you could just go back and see the original manga/anime. The film adaptations of 300, SIN CITY and WATCHMEN suffer this problem.

But if you try something original, then there are complaints/issues of deviating from/disrespecting the source material. Something DBE suffered very much.

I think a film adaptation/series should strike a good balance between faithfulness and allowing for originality, though even then there are bound to be criticism. But you can't please everybody.
I thought those adaptations were pretty good, and the Watchmen movie did have a very different ending from the source material.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 am I'm torn, really.

What hurt DBE wasn't as simple as "deviating from the source material." I doubt many fans would've actually had a problem with it mishmashing the Piccolo and DB Hunt arcs. It was all of the stupid bullshit piled up on top of it. I can't speak for everybody but when the initial summary first leaked in 2007, I basically wrote the entire thing off as soon as I saw "High school" and "In love with Chi-Chi."

DBE's unfaithfulness has little to do with the plot and everything to do with the entire presentation and characterization. It's a cliche 2000s coming of age action fantasy with Dragon Ball names and the most surface level of plot elements slapped onto it.

Sad thing is, you actually could pull off a faithful DB movie with some of Evolution's plot, as long as you respect the characters and presentation.

Like what if instead of being a high school student, Goku works at Ox-King's village as a favor to Gohan's old training buddy, and it's Chi-Chi that's in love with him, while Goku is completely oblivious and ignorant to regular social interactions. He's not worried about not fitting in - he thinks all of the kids at the village are the real weirdos. They don't even have tails! Hell, you can even have Krillin be his rival amongst this group - at a village festival (rather than a high school party), Goku picks a fight him and some of the other boys for shits and giggles.

Instead of Bulma being a generic '00s action girl, she's just her regular bratty teenage self going after the Dragon Balls to wish for a boyfriend. Roshi knows Piccolo from encountering him before Mutaito sealed him away. And instead of Mai being Piccolo's assistant, make it Oolong. Can't have a Journey to the West adaptation without a Pig Demon. And as a twist, the cowardly Oolong decides to join them only for it to turn out he's playing them and uses his shapeshifting powers to steal the DB's for Piccolo. What if it turns out that Roshi's old friend Crane Hermit unleashed Piccolo because of his misery and resentment of Roshi, despite knowing what Mutaito sacrificed to defeat Piccolo? Could be a way to get Tien in there too, as his top subordinate.

None of that Oozaru crap and full moon prophecy, too. I haven't pinned down the rest of the story because the DBE final battle is so nonsensical and un-Dragon Ball. But the premise can be done with respect to the source material.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 pm

I was recently looking at the Honest Trailer for Japanese Spider-Man and part of me thought of it as a version of DBE done right and enjoyable, or something that worked better in the 70s that wouldn't work today with folks wanting closer to source material.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm

It wasn't changes to the original plot and characterization that killed Evolution, it was poor writing and directing. Goku and Chichi being high school lovers wasn't the problem.

Had the production not been rushed and the people involved stepped up their efforts, Evolution could have been successful.

If any kind of live action Dragon Ball were to be made, it would probably work better as a television series on a streaming platform. There would be less pressure to make it into a family-friendly product, as well as more freedom to do weirder and less conventional things with the material.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Fox's rights to DB was going to expire and they were like "We don't care if the movie sucks as long if we made money". You can tell that they cared more about getting the movie made than making a good movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm Remake - A complete retelling
Reboot - a complete rebranding of a specific title

The only credit that I will ever give to Dragonball Evolution is that they went in an original direction. It was a bad reboot, would never tell anyone to watch it, but at least it wasn't a story we already know. If US filmmakers were to give it another shot (and not fuck it up) I would much prefer a reboot than a remake. Thoughts?
An adaptation is fine. An adaptation is neither a remake or a reboot, but its goal is to take the original material and make it digestible in a movie format. Dragon Ball is one of those stories that just cannot work if it was retold 1 to 1 in live action as it was in the manga, especially in the west.

The story concepts kind of clash with the way the story is told especially in the first arc. A lot of that stuff would need some elaboration otherwise it would just come off as a pure comedy, something like a live action Family Guy with scenes feeling disjointed and random. Just think about everything that happens between the start of DB to the destruction of Pilafs castle.

You have giant fish, dinosaurs, capsules, animal bandits, talking turtles, Master Roshi, a shapeshifter that steals women, a talking bunny mob boss that turn people into carrots, a power pole that goes to the moon, going to the moon, a desert bandit deathly afraid of women and his shapeshifter companion, fry-pan mountain, Ox-King, Chi-Chi, Bansho fan, energy waves, Master Roshi, Goku's mimicry, Pilaf and his henchmen, the Oozaru transformation, and of course, the Dragon Balls themselves and the wish from Shenron ... and Shenron himself. That's not even mentioning all the story beats in between all that.

It's a lot of ground to cover with little in the way of explanation. It barely has a chance to breathe and when it takes that time it's usually throwing more jokes and gags at the viewer. 1 movie can't contain so much so you have to cut the fluff, meaning an adaption is the only way, unless, yeah, you want to do something completely new with it. For it to be DB though, I think some level of adaptation is necessary like DBE ... just not as bad.

The best way is to take the best ideas from each arc and make them their own separate movies. It's a series of movies that can be as long as Harry Potter if you adapt DB and Z. Some arcs may be unnecessary like RR Army so you could add that as perhaps a subplot to 1 or 2 movies. You could perhaps combine the first two tournament arcs. You could combine adventure and tournament #1 but IDK, I feel adventure should be it's own thing. If you get really crazy, you could combine adventure and RR and have the RR threads go throughout the series up until the Androids.

It'd like:
Let me stop before I get too carried away. I was almost tempted to go into more detail with each movie. But you'd have to do something like that. A lot of stuff will naturally be cut, but that's the only way DB will survive as a live action movie feature. It has to be adapted to the medium.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 am

My approach would be to make Movie 1 similar to Path to Power in that it combines the first arc with the Red Ribbon arc. No Pilaf at all, but instead Commander Red is basically a composite of Pilaf and OG Red. With Officer Black in the Shu role, and then go left field and make Launch his other assistant in the Mai role, only she's "Secretary Yellow" and is always having her allergy medication intake monitored for some reason.

As far as changes for movie's sake, I'd get rid of Puar and instead make Oolong Yamcha's partner. And Krillin would be in Oolong's original role. He wouldn't be kidnapping any girls but he tries to steal Bulma's capsules to aid his search for Master Roshi and joins after Goku stops him and Bulma "bargains" with him.

Plot thread would be something like, Goku and Bulma meet --> Goku saves Bulma when she gets attacked by Red Ribbon goons---> Establishing scene at the army base---> Goku and Bulma fight off Krillin ---> ambushed by Yamcha in the desert but defeat him, Yamcha surrenders but gives them a car with a tracker ---> Travel to Mt. Fry pan, which gets overtaken by General Blue. The gang finds a lost sea turtle along the way. Ox King tells Goku to look for his daughter and sea Turtle says he knows a guy that can help, so he goes out to sea and brings Roshi. Roshi takes Blue's troops out with a kamehameha and then Goku beats Blue with his own Kamehameha. Master Roshi leaves but tells Goku to find him after the adventure is done.

For the final act I'm undecided though. Tao Pai Pai or not Tao Pai Pai, that is the question :P Either way, the main gang gets captured, Goku stampedes the base but does something dumb and naive to get himself captured too when he reaches Officer Black, who'd killed Red after discovering his real wish. Oolong thwarts the wish, and then a confused Good Launch stumbles upon them and frees them.

Officer Black fucks everybody up with a giant mecha thingy and locks them up in the glass heating chamber. Goku sees the full moon, goes Ape, defeats Mecha guy in a sorta Kaiju battle, Yamcha and Oolong cut his tail off. The day after, Bulma and Yamcha have the big kiss, and Goku and Krillin decide to go train with Roshi, but then Secretary Yellow emerges from the rubble and holds them at gunpoint...only to sneeze and turn into good Launch. Goku remarks that switching her hair between black and blonde is cool (totally not foreshadowing. No siree) and then he and Krillin go off to Master Roshis island. Roshi tells them they're gonna train for a tournament and...end credits! Mid-credits scene is Goku and Krillin frantically flying back to the Red Ribbon base to bring Good Launch over since she's a cute girl.

Post credits? A red ribbon soldier (or Tao Pai Pai if he's in the movie) finds an electronic rice cooker with a peculiar seal wash up ashore...

Second movie would combine the 22nd TB with King Piccolo. Piccolo Jr and Saiyan arcs are the easiest to do almost 1:1 for movies (and you best believe Jackie Chan is playing Shen in the 23rd TB) while the Frieza and Cell sagas would need to be massively retooled.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:49 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 am My approach would be to make Movie 1 similar to Path to Power in that it combines the first arc with the Red Ribbon arc. No Pilaf at all, but instead Commander Red is basically a composite of Pilaf and OG Red. With Officer Black in the Shu role, and then go left field and make Launch his other assistant in the Mai role, only she's "Secretary Yellow" and is always having her allergy medication intake monitored for some reason.

As far as changes for movie's sake, I'd get rid of Puar and instead make Oolong Yamcha's partner. And Krillin would be in Oolong's original role. He wouldn't be kidnapping any girls but he tries to steal Bulma's capsules to aid his search for Master Roshi and joins after Goku stops him and Bulma "bargains" with him.

Plot thread would be something like, Goku and Bulma meet --> Goku saves Bulma when she gets attacked by Red Ribbon goons---> Establishing scene at the army base---> Goku and Bulma fight off Krillin ---> ambushed by Yamcha in the desert but defeat him, Yamcha surrenders but gives them a car with a tracker ---> Travel to Mt. Fry pan, which gets overtaken by General Blue. The gang finds a lost sea turtle along the way. Ox King tells Goku to look for his daughter and sea Turtle says he knows a guy that can help, so he goes out to sea and brings Roshi. Roshi takes Blue's troops out with a kamehameha and then Goku beats Blue with his own Kamehameha. Master Roshi leaves but tells Goku to find him after the adventure is done.

For the final act I'm undecided though. Tao Pai Pai or not Tao Pai Pai, that is the question :P Either way, the main gang gets captured, Goku stampedes the base but does something dumb and naive to get himself captured too when he reaches Officer Black, who'd killed Red after discovering his real wish. Oolong thwarts the wish, and then a confused Good Launch stumbles upon them and frees them.

Officer Black fucks everybody up with a giant mecha thingy and locks them up in the glass heating chamber. Goku sees the full moon, goes Ape, defeats Mecha guy in a sorta Kaiju battle, Yamcha and Oolong cut his tail off. The day after, Bulma and Yamcha have the big kiss, and Goku and Krillin decide to go train with Roshi, but then Secretary Yellow emerges from the rubble and holds them at gunpoint...only to sneeze and turn into good Launch. Goku remarks that switching her hair between black and blonde is cool (totally not foreshadowing. No siree) and then he and Krillin go off to Master Roshis island. Roshi tells them they're gonna train for a tournament and...end credits! Mid-credits scene is Goku and Krillin frantically flying back to the Red Ribbon base to bring Good Launch over since she's a cute girl.

Post credits? A red ribbon soldier (or Tao Pai Pai if he's in the movie) finds an electronic rice cooker with a peculiar seal wash up ashore...

Second movie would combine the 22nd TB with King Piccolo. Piccolo Jr and Saiyan arcs are the easiest to do almost 1:1 for movies (and you best believe Jackie Chan is playing Shen in the 23rd TB) while the Frieza and Cell sagas would need to be massively retooled.
Dude, Dragon Ball isn't really meant for live action but that's actually a really compelling idea. Honestly I think they could do Freeza like they did Thanos in the Avengers movies. A few flashes of him doing random shit in each movie. I honestly think that the western idea of heroic Goku would affect these movies. No Goku giving senzu beans, no sparing Vegeta for a good fight( he would probably spare him because he thinks all life has value which is honestly some bs) it would be heavily censored and Mr. Popo would be written out of the plot entirely, or retooled heavily to avoid the movie getting cancelled online. Most Dragon Ball fans won't watch it at first until way after the release and the movie wouldn't really make much or get a sequel.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Remake, definitely. I know DBE has its fans, but for the most part, the DBE brand is considered a laughing stock by both fans and Hollywood.

The biggest problem that any live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball would face is that, by a certain point in the story, you'd really need a good budget to do the fights from the original manga/anime justice...and on a business level, Hollywood is frightened at the idea of financing something that flopped so badly in its first live-action incarnation. So the best way to go would be to save the DBZ-era fights for a later movie, and go for a budget-friendly, comedy-oriented movie the first time around. Not saying there shouldn't be any fights--there should--but they should take a back seat to comedy and slice-of-life sequences with likable characters in the interest of budgeting (and given the material in DB-era stories, that's definitely doable).

Do that and get the characters right, and it'll be much easier to eventually green-light a DBZ movie that will need a higher budget.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm

A 7 part film series based directly on the manga makes the most sense to me, but there's always people who don't like the manga/haven't read the manga, and people who would hate it no matter what for being a live action adaptation. I think if it just takes the elements from the manga and the main 7 story arcs it can fit together nicely.

I just watched Gundam Unicorn recently and that cuts out a lot of going back and forth from the novels just to get to the point, we don't need to see a character run back in a room say one thing, run to the room he has to go, then go back to that first room to say a second thing, it's a very straight forward story, Dragon Ball is EXTREMELY straight forward, it has its own style, it borrows heavily from other movies but it could be a great film series if done right.

There's some parts where the manga can just straight up be a storyboard for a movie, the flow is so natural and already cinematic compared to the same shots in the anime being extended for too long, even One Punch Man had that issue where the manga had a moment that was literally a 3D camera shot going around a character and they didn't animate that for the anime, just still shots.

My idea this whole time has been basically Path to Power to start things off but with Pilaf, Mai and Shu trying to get in on the action, so it's like a rat race to get all of the Dragon Balls first, then they'd be responsible for raising Piccolo Daimao at the end after Kuririn is introduced, the second one would start with a combination of 21st and 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai introducing Tenshinhan and Chaozu, go into the Piccolo Daimao arc, then end with a time skip, back to where they started, the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai.

The third one could be less of a chop job since the Saiyan arc isn't that long on its own, for Freeza I think it would HAVE to be a two parter. I think Cell could have plenty cut together just so it's not a total mess, but I think Cell after absorbing 17 should go straight to wanting to make his own tournament, then once he's finished building it up he can become Perfect.

Majin Boo is another straight forward one, don't need a lot of Gohan at high school, there's a lot of stuff with Boo that could be cut down on, but still show, him going on a rampage turning people into candy doesn't need to be 20 minutes of a movie. I'm totally for having stuff from the anime, like music, I really like some covers of the original songs, they'd be neat to have in there. I think Goku leaving with Oob at the end suddenly playing Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku while showing the credits over scenes from all 7 movies and just ending on that shot of Goku from the Kanzenban ending with THE END would be heart warming.

Man, I've thought about this a LOT and I'm not a film maker.

I think I'd make playful references to the anime, or even dubs, like Cell would definitely say "Oh shit..." at the Final Flash scene, and because Chaozu is so ditzy early on he'd say "Tien" and Tenshinhan would correct him...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:03 pm

This thread has reminded me that I was still in high school when Dragon Ball Evolution came out. Jesus Christ, that was a long time ago.

Anyway, I'm not really into getting a new live action film. I guess it'd be interesting to see the Sakamoto Kou'ichi or Kamihori'uchi Kazuya direct one, though.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm It wasn't changes to the original plot and characterization that killed Evolution, it was poor writing and directing. Goku and Chichi being high school lovers wasn't the problem.

Had the production not been rushed and the people involved stepped up their efforts, Evolution could have been successful.

If any kind of live action Dragon Ball were to be made, it would probably work better as a television series on a streaming platform. There would be less pressure to make it into a family-friendly product, as well as more freedom to do weirder and less conventional things with the material.
Was it really unsuccessful? Evolution barely missed making twice its budget back at cinemas, and grossed another $8 million on home video.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm It wasn't changes to the original plot and characterization that killed Evolution, it was poor writing and directing. Goku and Chichi being high school lovers wasn't the problem.

Was it really unsuccessful? Evolution barely missed making twice its budget back at cinemas, and grossed another $8 million on home video.
DBE did overall meh at best, though the movie even then still has a poor reputation within the franchise among fans as a come and gone anomaly with a rushed development that has all but fallen into the depths of obscurity.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)